I know I know....

Options
it's been asked a dozen times. But, I don't know who else would have better wisdom. :flowerforyou: :heart:
Ok. I have a gazelle the cheaper model without the hand heart rate monitors on it. But, it does tell me calories burned. I just got my heartrate monitor. My gazelle says I burned 267 calories in 29 minutes. I went 2.2 miles. My HRM says I burned a whopping 581. Which should I go by???

Replies

• suprjewels
    Options
    it's been asked a dozen times. But, I don't know who else would have better wisdom. :flowerforyou: :heart:
    Ok. I have a gazelle the cheaper model without the hand heart rate monitors on it. But, it does tell me calories burned. I just got my heartrate monitor. My gazelle says I burned 267 calories in 29 minutes. I went 2.2 miles. My HRM says I burned a whopping 581. Which should I go by???
  • tech_sarah
    Options
    what kind of hrm is it? I would try another activity tomorrow like the treadmill or something and see what the difference is on another peice of equipment...
    I've never used a gazelle so I have no idea how many calories someone might burn on one...
    Good Luck though
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan Sarah suggested. I was gonna say go by your HRM but the difference is pretty large so not sure. If you are quite sure everything is set up on your HRM correctly and it's been accurate in other workouts, I say go by that! Machines are often off a bit unless they specifically ask your weight and age.

Let us know how it goes:flowerforyou:
    FC:heart:
  • suprjewels
    Options
    my gazelle doesn't ask me any info. so it's just a general. I don't have any other equipment to try it out on. the display part of my stationary bike is broke so I just go by this site for it's calories. :bigsmile: My HRM is set up with all my info. I went to a calorie counter site that was suggested on another thread. It asked for my weight but, not age. It of course didn't have a gazelle listed. No one does. :sad: but, when you look to buy it it is under elipticals. So I chose that machine and it put it at 506 calories. What do you think Ladies? Thanks Thanks thanks!!!:flowerforyou:
  • fiddlechic
    Options
    my elliptical(which lets me set weight, age etc) said i burned 483 calories tonight but my HRM said i burned 645. i go by the HRM...it's weird though bc when I hold onto the handle bars to get my heart rate on the elliptical, it matched my hrm reading...oh well!!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Myself, I think I'd go with the HRM... it is on your body and is going by info you input so as long as that's all in their accurate seems like it would be much more accurate than going by a machine burn that isn't quite the same one you're using. Especially now that fiddlechic mentions her machine and HRM were not the same as well.

I say stick with the HRM and get some good sleep!:yawn: :bigsmile: Really when you think about it, that's why everyone wants to get an HRM (me too:sad: ) so we can go by that for accuracy.:wink::tongue:

FC:heart:
  • suprjewels
    Options
    Thank you ladies! I am going to go with my HRM. About an hour after getting off the gazelle I felt like I hadn't ate all day. So that showed me I needed more food. I had alotted to what the gazelle had always told me I burned. So I had lots of calories left I hadn't expect, but gladly ate them! I just got done with my bowflex workout with the DH. Now it's a shower and bed. Thank you again for all your great expertise!!!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Gazelles burn that much? :noway:

Holy crap, I have one sitting behind my couch all folded away because I never felt like I was working hard enough. It seemed like a waste of time, compared to my treadmill. Well, it looks like I will be whipping that sucker out again! :love:
  • suprjewels
    Options
    Gazelles burn that much? :noway:

Holy crap, I have one sitting behind my couch all folded away because I never felt like I was working hard enough. It seemed like a waste of time, compared to my treadmill. Well, it looks like I will be whipping that sucker out again! :love:
    I work at 4.5ish mph while I watch the show then during commercials I try to keep it at least at 6mph. I'm red faced and drenched in sweat when I get off. Today I did it slower and it said I burned 305 calories in the same amount of time and a lil less miles. But, I didn't watch tv so I didn't do my burst on commercials. So to keep those calories I'm going to continue to watch TV while doing it. That way I keep my speed changing. Try that and see what you think. I've also been told by others on here that they lose inches on their waist on the gazelle pretty quickly. I've had mine for over three years. I honestly felt the same as you. I just wasn't getting much out of it. But, trying the sprints on it has made me change my mind quickly. Hope you feel the burn as much as I do on it now!!!:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    What type of HRM do you have?
  • suprjewels
    Options
    the Reebok timex one with chest strap
  • slieber
    Options
    And it has calories on it? Mine's a timex and hasn't got that.
  • suprjewels
    Options
    yeah I put it on the timer mode... go through my warm up then it times my workout for 30 minutes. when I'm done i push some button and I get calories it even tells me the time and date so I know it's the right one. Sorry not more specific still learning. I've only had it for 3 days... I have to carry the book with me :embarassed:
  • slieber
    Options
    *sigh* Mine only does the heart rate. I guess that's what I paid for - not all the fancy stuff. I did find something interesting today. Wore the HRM to the gym, used the "life fitness" elliptical and the HRM on the elliptical picked up my HRM transmission. I didn't even have to put my hands on the handles to get the HR on the elliptical. It matched almost exactly with my wristband - the elliptical just a second or two behind the band receiver. I think that's so nifty!

I found a rather painful calculation to get calories. Apparently it's the one programmed into the Polar 6. According to the calculation, I burned about 360 calories for the 30 mins intervals that I did (yes, I did it at the different HRs - it was a pain to do all that math!). The elliptical put down that I'd burned about 310.

Does anyone know if that's more or less how these things go?