running while sick?

Options
Well, I don't know that I'm really "sick" but yesterday I was on the couch all day with a stuffed up nose, headache, and just tired. I feel a better today... still a headache and stuffy nose. I would like to get out and get a run in but is that going to make things worse? or better?

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    go run for 5-10 minutes. if you feel like crap, just turn around and go hhome. make sure to bundle up, and if you have a nasal spray to help open up your airways, do that. take some asprin an hour before your run, give it time to kick in. bundle up your upper body, and see how you feel.
  • akburmeister
    Options
    Thanks :) I took some DayQuil about 15 minutes ago, so I'll let it kick in and then give it a go. It's a cold one in MInnesota here this morning, definitely will be bundling up!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Try a run and if you can't, try to manage a walk. If anything, focus on getting better! :)
  • engineman312
    Options
    Thanks :) I took some DayQuil about 15 minutes ago, so I'll let it kick in and then give it a go. It's a cold one in MInnesota here this morning, definitely will be bundling up!

oh, minnesota. sorry about that. not about the state, but because of the vikings. mcnabb.. SMH
  • Determined1980
    Options
    I have been fighting a cold for two weeks, I went to go run on the 2nd day of my cold and during the process I felt weak but I continued to run, by the time I got home I felt like crap, my cold got worse, and I thought I was going to pass out. I went to the doctor and he basically told me that when your sick like that, the best thing you can do for your body is rest. Especially if you have been fighting to keep your temp down and are suffering from headaches. At the same time, everyone is different, another friend of mine suggested I go ahead and run because when she was sick she ran and it made her feel better and she actually sweat the cold out.

The point I am making is that everyone is different, if you start running and you feel weak, stop and go home and rest.
  • akburmeister
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I was considering maybe just resting or just going for a walk so as to not push it... We will see :)
  • akburmeister
    Options
    and yes... don't judge us on our football team! :P
  • engineman312
    Options
    and yes... don't judge us on our football team! :P

i don't. i'm a jets fan. i always seem to be apologizing for rex ryan.