sugar and junk

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
I'd like to say I eat pretty healthy most of the time :)

But I definitely like my SWEETS ... and I want to slowly decrease my sugar intake and eat less JUNK.

I KNOW I will FEEL better and my moods will be balanced out :) I've heard so many great things about people cutting sugars and just feeling like they are on top of the world. and I KNOW that after a while i won't want to eat as much sugar cause i'll lose the 'craving' for it :):)

who needs that processed crap anyways? our bodies don't need it !!

*******So tell me your story of how you cut sugar / slowly decreased sugar and junk food consumption ??

Replies

• havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I used to drink at least 3 ginger ales a day. So I cut it down to one a day for a few days, replacing soda with seltzer mixed with a splash of fruit juice, then to one a week for a while. Now that I don't default to soda, I have it more or less whenever I want it but I find that I rarely want it anymore, maybe twice a week tops. And I don't put fruit juice in my seltzer anymore, sometimes I put a little lemon or lime but that's it.

I also used to be a total candy junkie. That I more or less had to stop cold turkey for a while, replacing candy with dried fruit mostly. Now that I'm not in the mindset of idly eating a whole package at a time, I am able to have small amounts of candy and be happy with them. I probably have candy twice a week as well.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I too have the same issue. Seems it's crept into my diet more often recently. I think part of the problem is I've allowed myself to buy some bad foods (desserts) here and there and honestly I would be better off just quitting cold turkey. I was doing pretty well staying away from sweets the first two two months of MFP, but this month I feel I've gone downhill with the sweet cravings. I'm going to try just cutting them again like I did previously, moderation doesn't seem to go over well with me.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I can't say I have completely done it. But if I have definitely cut WAY back. I found that if I focus on making sure I eat lots of fruit and veggies, and make those my priorities, then everything else falls into place. My nutritionist said to plan half of every plate to be veggies/fruits first, then plan around that 1/4 grains and 1/4 protein. When I really do that, I just dont have room for sweets because I am full. And I am even keel since there is a lot of fiber. No more high/low mood swings from a candy bar. Truly, if I am eating this way, I dont crave junk. If I slip, the craving instantly starts. Like a smoker (which I havent done in years) but a smoker will tell you that one leads to another leads to another.....so it goes that opening the door to the junk leads to more junk....and more junk. But every good meal, leads to another. etc. LOL! You get the picture. Dont think about what you cant or shouldnt have anyway, think about what you can/should have and how to get it all in. Minumum 5 fruits and veggies, when they are fresh, is a lot.
  • sarah307
    Options
    THANKS A LOT FOR THE ADVICE!!

all of you have said some things that spoke out to me :)

moderation (on sweets) is hard for me and i'd like to stop cold turkey but dont want to do that bc i'm afraid i'll just binge later on LOL but I also am really a fan of thinking about what I SHOULD BE EATING instead of what I SHOULDNT BE EATING. love it ! cause if someone tells me what i cannot do, i'll do it anyways... :)

so thanks guys!!
    and also, way back in the day I stopped drinking soda for like two years and after a month or so, i did NOT want it at all!! so I think this will have the same affect :)
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I stopped cold turkey. The day before I ate 4 cinnamon rolls to make myself physically sick so I had a negative memory as the first few days were difficult. It worked. I still love sweets and I'd love to eat them all day everyday, but that 'gotta have it or i'll die' feeling is gone. I'll still partake in birthday cake and whatnot, but that's few and far between. But when I do, it tastes good but the physical aftershock is my reminder of why I dont eat them anymore.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    oh and increasing your fat intake cuts down your sugar cravings.
  • DenmanScofield
    Options
    I eat raw corn when I crave sweets. Its not like having a donut, but it's a healthy sweet food. Aslo oranges, bananas, and apples.
  • widmar
    widmar Posts: 72
    Options
    No advice for you, but I need to hear what people say about this also. Really good question. And really good answers!!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I started by just not having stuff I wouldn't want to eat in the house or around me, and making sure I was eating regularly so my blood sugar wouldn't drop. For the house, that meant, even Special K had to go. I would eat cups of it in the evening. I just can't have that stuff in the house. We do keep some sultanas, and if I need a quick sugar fix, I'll have a tablespoon of sultanas mixed with some almonds.
    I had/ have to be super strict with myself at school at snack time, when I take the kids down and the snacks are right there, usually something sweet, that is the hardest part. They are right there at the time of day when I need a pick me up.
    I find that the stricter I am, the less cravings I get.
    Recently I've started allowing myself a small treat once a day, max, but that's it. (about 95% of the time) I'd actually like to go back to none at all, but at the moment, if I just have one small treat, I don't feel too guilty about it, I think it stops me from bingeing.
    I'm not perfect, but I feel like I've changed to healthier habits. I do have caramello koalas in the fridge as my reward, but I don't even crave those so much if I'm eating properly. I thnk it's good to first substitute, then cut back, then cut back more.
    You've had amazing progress, you can totally get this!
    Good luck
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    To help my sweet cravings I eat unsweetened applesauce almost every night...I add cinamon and truvia (or splenda) and I have found that it totally satisfies my sweet cravings!! Oh and the new apple crisp snack I made for myself, so healthy but tastes like it should be bad for you!!
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    OOOOO, suggie woogie!! I love me some suggie..

I really don't even consume sugar unless it's in fruit. I was addicted to chocolate for a long time, but I gradually stopped. slowly but surely.
  • sarah307
    Options
    i want to stop sugarrr :)

but i also want some ice cream right now PAHAHA