a look into my PERSONAL diary entry about binging

Options
hi everyone! I have a personal diary that I try to write in every day and I tend to write a lot about my eating habits. this was hard for me to post, but I think it's good to bring into the MFP community in order to shed some insight on binge eating and feeling out of control, which is what I've been dealing with. I'm not sure how people will respond to this and I'm not sure if they can help me with this problem, but it's just something I thought I'd share.

October 22, 2011

Dear Diary, I'm starting to figure out my binges. They usually fall in ten steps.

1. I get a sweet craving
2. I tell myself to ignore it, but I keep thinking about it
3. I let myself have a small amount of sugar
4. I want more and think, "I already blew it, might as well keep going."
5. I start eating a lot, but I feel good because I'm satisfying my craving. I feel powerful because for a little while I don't care about the calories I'm eating. I don't feel like a slave to the scale
6. I start to get out of control and feel like I can't stop
7. I feel like I'm not there, like I'm simply watching myself consume an incredible amount of food, but can't do anything about it
8. I finally feel sick or realize what I'm doing and stop, usually after an hour of eating
9. I gain weight
10. I obsess and obsess about the binge, even a week later. I constrict myself to make up for it. I watch what I eat intensely, leaving absolutely no wiggle room. this lasts for about two weeks until I get the urge to eat sweets, and then the cycle happens again.

this isn't right and I know that. I hate being trapped in a mind that won't rest until I reach my goal weight. it's exhausting and it drains me. when did it get like this? I've lost about 35 pounds and feel great, but I hate the way I'm acting. I can think about food, numbers, calories, and carbs for hours at a time and nothing else.

so this is a look into my personal entry... I just felt like it'd be interesting to share because I'm sure some MFP people can relate.

Replies

• getnhealthymum
    Options
    First, thank you for sharing this with us. A brave thing to do. Second, this sounds exactly like me. To the T. I don't have any advice but one day at a time. Congrats on your weight loss. Hugs. :)
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    this is exactly how i feel :c
  • scouvson13
    Options
    Thank you for sharing...this is my personal story on a daily basis.
  • KarenShannon
    Options
    I have this problem too! You are not alone in this. I wish I could help you out but I don't know how to handle this either. I try to keep myself busy or talk to a friend. Can't seem to stop the surgar craving and then I too give in. After I am done I can't believe how much I ate. You have done so well in losing 35 pounds! Be proud of that. Sometimes your body just doesn't want to cont. on this journey.
    Try to stay positive, sometimes we just fall down. Just don't give up!! :flowerforyou:
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Wow. I think your amazing for posting this and putting yourself out there like you did. To really open up and put it out here is huge.
  • april0985
    Options
    This sounds all too familiar. You're so brave to post about it. I don't have the answer to it either...I've tried for so long to come up with solutions or things that might help but I always eand up eating some crazy amount in the end. Good luck, well done with what you've achieved so far
  • Selyan
    Selyan Posts: 51
    Options
    Getting those kind of cravings often means you eat too little, or that your body is in need of for example more fat.

Not that I'm following that advice .. I usually binge and purge at least once a week.
  • raaeft1
    raaeft1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is exactly my story.
  • Selyan
    Selyan Posts: 51
    Options
    I thought some more about what I do to control binges, and when I get them when I'm with other people, I often share my food so that the total binge don't get so big.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    35 pounds is a lot, and you look amazing. Maybe you're afraid to go back to the old you, and that's why there is so much self hatred after the binge..... Try not buying sweets.. or only have a tiny amount in the house, so if you go into binge mode there wont be much to derail your success. I think we all struggle a bit with this... Try to stay positive and eat things that will curb the sweet tooth:happy: .. :)
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You are so brave for your honesty and I could have written this word for word. I wish I could find a balance I am either very bad like you said and it all starts with a sugar carving and then I am major good the following week. I have lost 27lbs and I am maintaining for about 3 months and have not put any weight back on but I know this style of eating is really unhealthy and I wish I could stop I as don't log these binges. (for me they are normally at night) I feel guilty for over eating and then I feel guilty I didn't log it as I've been to embarassed :blushing: !!!

If you would like a friend to try and support each other through these cravings I would be happy to be one so please add me??? Maybe if we admit these binges to each other it might help??
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You need to work on #4 (4. I want more and think, "I already blew it, might as well keep going." )

First of all, having a little sugar is not "blowing it". It's ok to have a treat every once in a while, even everyday. I'll go further and say that for bingers, it is ESSENTIAL to have treats. Restriction leads to binges... It's as simple as that! Just work it in your overall calories allowance.

Second of all, even in the case you actually blew it, blowing it even more is not the thing to do. One may or may not like Jillian Michaels but she once said "When you are driving down the freeway and get a flat tire, you don't pull over and slash the other three do you? NO! You fix the flat tire and move on!". I think she makes perfect sense! A few calories over your allowance won't make a huge difference at the end of the day but a binge will...

Oh and in case you wonder, this is not coming from someone who thinks it's easy and that you just have to "stop eating". I used to be a bulimic, so I lived by the restriction - binge - self-loathing - restriction cycle for quite a long time. It is possible to recover from binge eating or bulimia but you need to rethink your patterns completely. Except for a few slip-ups in the first months of my pregnancy 2 years ago, I haven't have a binge in 4 years! :flowerforyou:

You can message me or add me as friend if you want. :)
  • arfog
    arfog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am a sugar-holic, and that is part of the reason why I've gained the weight that I have.

I suggest NOT being sooooooooo strict everyday. Let yourself have a treat or two if you want them, but be sure to log them. That way you don't feel deprived, but you are holding yourself accountable.

Also I recommend this gum for sugar/chocolate cravings:
    file_23_66.gif

Best invention ever, and only 5 calories. :)
  • MusicKeepsMeSane
    Options
    I definitely know how that is. I feel like this on basically a daily basis. Usually I can control my binges but sometimes it just gets too strong an urge and I do give in and binge on occasion. It's not the end of the world, each day is a new day. What helps me is I just remind myself of my goal and that binging won't help me get to where I want to be. Other then that I really don't have any good advice. And thank you for opening up and sharing this :)
  • alaskaclaire
    Options
    I totally understand this. All that has worked for me is cutting out refined sugars. But I still crave sweet things, so I have a bar of sugar free chocolate a day. There are lots of different types out there and with some I can't tell the difference, taste wise. The difference for me is this doesn't start the cravings. Also you can only eat one bar or there are unfortunate side effects.
  • ctroxell2011
    Options
    Keep that stuff out of the house.
    Call a friend for support when you are starting to have a craving, or chew a piece of gum, have a crystal light something sweet to get you past it.

And the part about, I already blew it, I'll just keep going.... Let me ask you this:

If you get a flat tire, do you go and pop the other three?
  • smairi
    smairi Posts: 10
    Options
    This has been a problem for me for years. I have to treat it as an addiction and try to eat clean all the time. If I have a bit of chocolate, I want alot of chocolate, so now, I can't really eat chocolate. It sucks, but it works. I have a friend who is an alcoholic and I learned alot from watching him battle his drinking.

The big thing for me is the hours I spend thinking about food, calories, carbs, etc... I have tried using meditation and deep breathing and it seems to help. Other times I do something completely unrelated to food to remove my mind from the situation - my current fix is Jersey Shore. It is so stupid and engrossing that I forget about food.

I've gotten it down to about one binge a month. Sigh.

Thank you for sharing this - it is incredibly brave. I wish I had the courage that you show!
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Your not alone! Im like that also. I used to be able to stay away from over eating, now it's hard. I use food for a comfort. I used to stay away from junk food, now I find that hard. I eat sometimes until I full. Other times I can't get full. I get sick to my stomach and angry at my self for eating like that. I always no its a not worth doing to myself, but it seems to happen to me alot. How do we get through this? 1 meal at a time!
  • revnica
    revnica Posts: 50
    Options
    oh my gosh this is exactly what i put my self through atleast twice a month. I love you for posting this, i too believe alot of mfp will relate to this! Thank you so much for your courage and honesty!!!!
  • marzahl68
    marzahl68 Posts: 201
    Options
    I'm really blown away by your diary entry. I bet it took a lot of guts to post this.
    I have absolutely no idea how to help you or what kind of advice to give.

I don't have a sweet tooth, I'm more of a (former) chips and fast food junky. The last time I had a cheeseburger, I felt sick afterwards. Sick from the grease in my stomach. It hurt! I didn't want to feel that way again so I declared fast food and junk food to be a non-food.
    I've also come to a point where I find that food doesn't need to take center stage in my life. Family gatherings and holidays are not about food and they shouldn't be. Food is merely a means to keep my body alive. Food is not my friend, my buddy or my comfort. It's simply fuel, nothing more. When my gas tank is empty, I fill it up and drive until it's empty again. It can't hold more than 10 gallons and it doesn't need anymore either. My body is no different.