Cheat Days?

Options
So I've been doing pretty good for a while. I've never gone over my calorie goal once yet, and I decided that a "cheat day" is in order. Thing is, I might feel guilty at the end of the day :grumble:

Do any of you have cheat days? What do you eat on your cheat days? Do you feel guilty about it?

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't subscribe to the idea that eating something I want is "cheating". Cheating on what?

That said, if I were to lose all self-control and eat junk all day, I would feel terrible the next day. So no, I would not do a whole day.
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Sure I have cheat days but I never feel guilty. I deserve it. Today is going to be my cheat day and I am going to eat pizza and have a drink of rum and diet coke or may two, or may ...
  • SarahBeeMe
    SarahBeeMe Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Every few weeks I go over my cals once... by a couple of hundre, not masses. But I actually find it boosts the loss a bit, personally!
  • Saucy_Yoda
    Saucy_Yoda Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't like cheat days. I tend to overdo it, feel horrible and sick, and then feel guilty. I would rather indulge myself with a small treat, dessert, or meal a couple times a week, so I don't feel like I'm depriving myself, don't stress my body, and avoid guilt.
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Well, if you decide to have a cheat day, then no guilt! Enjoy it and the next day you start with even more determination, working your *kitten* off burning those calories.
    I tried the cheat meals for a while, but then I decided that it's better to have a larger daily number of calories daily and have small treats every now and then than splurge one day/meal. For now, my body agrees with the decision and I feel great.

Still, try not to go over your maintenance calories that day if you don't want to gain weight back. You can exercise heavily in the morning to win some extra calories for the day.

And don't get scared the next 2-3 days when the scale will show you scary numbers. It's only gonna be water-weight!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    try a "cheat meal" first, see if you can handle it. Cheat days turn into cheat weeks for me :ohwell:
  • JeffJohnson26
    JeffJohnson26 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    "Cheat day" isn't the way to go about it. A "cheat meal" on the other hand? Totally acceptable and when you meet/exceed your weekly goals, then go for it. A good thing to remember is to make it one meal, not an entire day of junk. And remember portion control. Most importantly, don't feel guilty about rewarding yourself for something you work hard for.

I dropped five pounds at this week's weigh-in and I feel a reward is in order. So far, I've had a protein shake, a big workout and very healthy breakfast. After a healthy snack, I'll indulge in a cheat meal for lunch. But I won't go crazy with it. Portion control...that's the key!
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    try a "cheat meal" first, see if you can handle it. Cheat days turn into cheat weeks for me :ohwell:

Me too.

The smallest of things for me can lead in to full blown gorge.
  • rockchick90
    Options
    i suppose yesterday was my cheat day, i just proper binged :/ i always wanna eat more when im tried and yesterday i just felt awful.
    going to be proper strict now til friday!! if you want a cheat day its fine as long as you dont carry it on and make up for it :P
  • mjac1998
    Options
    i try and give myself a "free day" at least once a week. I thought it would make me "fall of the wagon" but i find that it helps me becuase then i'm not restricting myself, and my appetite has changed so much that i dont really want a lot of junk food. So my free days might turn into just eating an ice cream cone. I have learned what "lifestyle change" means, vs "dieting" so i choose "lifestyle change". BTW.. i have lost 45 so far, have about 20 to go, and these are the HARDEST 20 ever!! lol
  • Kushgetti
    Kushgetti Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    At least once a week....I call it moderation day lol.....never feel guilty......food is meant 2 be enjoyed in moderation
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    It turns out that if I'm careful about my portions, I won't go over my calorie goal! I've been craving chinese takeout for a while, so that's what I'll be eating today. Other than that, I think I'll just eat normally.
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It's stupid to call them "cheat days" or "cheat meals". You're not cheating. An occasional treat is an important part of a diet for most people. It gives you something to look forward to, keeps you focused for the rest of the time and stops you from feeling like you're depriving yourself of the foods you love. Too many diets fail because people try to do too much. They totally overhaul their diet and completely deprive themselves of foods they love. Then after a while they get tired and slip back to their old ways. Building an occasional treat into your diet helps to prevent this.

Of course, you still need to be somewhat careful. If you build up a 3500 calorie deficit over a week, and then have a treat day and consume three huge meals and lots of unhealthy snacks, you could eat all of those calories up and be left without a deficit at all. So just be sensible with it. Don't go too overboard and maybe even try to have a light day the day before or the day after. But an occasional treat is an important part of a diet for most people, and you shouldn't feel bad or feel like you're cheating.
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days, I do spike day... Every 6 days and I double my allowed calories!!

Gasp... Yes really. 69 days in no plateau and 24lbs lighter!!