Is it possible for a girl to gain 5-7lbs of muscle?

Options
Hey guys. I have been fighting these pounds that I mysteriously gained for months now. I was down to 146-48 and now I'm 152-54. No matter WHAT I do. I gained most of this as I started doing Bodypump and became a Bodypump instructor. I'm still wearing the same clothes as before. Is it possible for a girl to gain that many pounds of muscle when weight training? Thanks!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    How long exactly?

I would read this post http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/372233-gaining-muscle-is-not-that-easy

(not just the rant, but the excellent comments by some knowledgeable users)
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    5-7 lbs of muscle is achievable in 4 months if you kill your workouts with heavy weights and eat clean and 300-500 calories over your bmr
    however...you will pack on some fat too soooo....i'm sure that's not what you want
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. And while it is difficult for women to gain muscle, it isn't impossible either. From all the research I've done and talking to the health professionals at the gym, it is tough to build muscle while eating a deficit. That being said, like my original comment - everyone is different. And so I NEVER say anything is impossible, because you just never know. Just because it isn't how studies say it should be or how scientists say it should be, doesn't mean it isn't possible (I've learned this in my own journey).
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Sure its possible, consistently training muscles and then feeding your body the proper nutrients it needs to repair/rebuild all those muscles can certainly add healthy weight to your physique over time. I honestly think you answered your own question when you said you're still wearing the same clothes, that right there should be a tell tale sign that any weight your gaining is healthy lean muscle.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. And while it is difficult for women to gain muscle, it isn't impossible either. From all the research I've done and talking to the health professionals at the gym, it is tough to build muscle while eating a deficit. That being said, like my original comment - everyone is different. And so I NEVER say anything is impossible, because you just never know. Just because it isn't how studies say it should be or how scientists say it should be, doesn't mean it isn't possible (I've learned this in my own journey).

I agree with this. While it is difficult to gain muscle everyone is different. People like to make blanket statements that they feel are fact for every single person but its just not true. My father played football and hockey in college, huge man made of solid muscle and I have inherited his genes, I gain muscle faster than a lot of women so the statement that women wont bulk up is false in my case. That being said gaining that much muscle on a calorie deficit is unlikely.
  • voodoomoocow
    voodoomoocow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yuuup, most people are surprised by how much I weigh because I don't really look THAT heavy. I played softball for 10 years so my thighs are solid muscle. I have muscle everywhere, it's just now coated in a layer of chunk. I doubt I'll be able to get below 135, and I've accepted that I can NEVER have thin thighs. Oh well. :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

I agree with this. While it is difficult to gain muscle everyone is different. People like to make blanket statements that they feel are fact for every single person but its just not true. My father played football and hockey in college, huge man made of solid muscle and I have inherited his genes, I gain muscle faster than a lot of women so the statement that women wont bulk up is false in my case. That being said gaining that much muscle on a calorie deficit is unlikely.

It really annoys me when people make blanket statements that they feel are fact for EVERYONE. I've run into that quite a few times and when I disagree with them - they accuse me of lying. Um. Okay. The biggest one people argue with me about? My calorie consumption. They tell me there's NO WAY I can eat as many calories as I do and maintain my current weight.

That's funny because I've been doing it for the better part of 6 months now. Or how they tell me that eating LESS won't make me GAIN weight - funny because when I eat less, I DO gain weight.

People need to relax and realize that people are all built just a little bit differently.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I honestly think you answered your own question when you said you're still wearing the same clothes, that right there should be a tell tale sign that any weight your gaining is healthy lean muscle.

This. The scale doesn't know everything. Clothes fit the same. What about pictures? Can you tell where you've gained?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Over a good period of months (when you've been lifting heavy weights regularly too) then yes it is possible. It wont ALL be muscle though, some will be fat.
    As you're clothes are fitting the same as before though I'd say not to worry, sounds like your doing a great job!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options

I agree with you. Everyone's body is different. Another woman's body, can't speak for my body. I disagree with the so called fact that a woman will not bulk up, because she's not a man. A lot of men don't bulk up, so being a man doesn't have anything to do with it.

It's true that a lot of women take after their fathers, just like a lot of men take after their mothers. Some men have wide hips.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yes this was over quite a few months....dare I say close to a year? I started taking and now teaching Bodypump which is a barbell strength class, so we do squats, chest press, clean and press, dead rows/lifts, tricep extension/press, dips, overheads, pushups, upright rows, overhead press, rear deltoid raises, and a bunch of different crunches/hovers/planks etc. I teach this at least 3 times a week.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    I disagree with the so called fact that a woman will not bulk up, because she's not a man. A lot of men don't bulk up, so being a man doesn't have anything to do with it.

Read the following edit to see why your statement is so ridiculous:

"I disagree with the so called fact that a woman will not grow a beard, because she's not a man. A lot of men can't grow beards, so being a man doesn't have anything to do with it."

Men and women have very different hormonal profiles, the reason women don't gain muscle the way that men do stems from their vastly different T:E ratio.

As a "medical professional", you should know this, but you repeatedly ignore it.
  • AZackery
    Options

"I disagree with the so called fact that a woman will not grow a beard, because she's not a man. A lot of men can't grow beards, so being a man doesn't have anything to do with it."

Men and women have very different hormonal profiles, the reason women don't gain muscle the way that men do stems from their vastly different T:E ratio.

As a "medical professional", you should know this, but you repeatedly ignore it.

PB67, this is going to be my last reply to you. I don't know why you hate me so much, but you have to live with your hate. For some reason, you love replying to things that I've said, to try to make it seems as if I don't know what I am talking about. Get a life and move on. Stop being immature and grow up.

Get this to your head. Men aren't the only humans that can bulk up. Women can bulk up too. It's not about women putting on muscles at the same rate as men. A woman doesn't have to put on muscles at the same rate as a man, but it doesn't stop her from being able to bulk up. So many people, like yourself want people to believe that a woman can't bulk up, because she's not a man. You want people to believe that only men bulks up and that's not true. You will never be able to speak for anyone's body but your own. A woman knows her body. What might be true for one person's body, might not be true for the next person's body.

You came at me to try to correct me, because of your hatred towards me, but I didn't see you reply to Chevy88grl, the poster who I was agreeing with. She made it clear that she puts on muscles fast. Be man or woman enough, whatever you are and dispute her claim.

I don't know what your profession is and it's none of my business, but I do know you are trying to make it seem as if you are very knowledgeable about how a person puts on muscles, but yet, you couldn't even tell me how a person knows when they have gained muscles.

I'm done with you. You can waste your time replying to me all you want. I'm going to ignore you.
    Options

PB67, this is going to be my last reply to you. I don't know why you hate me so much, but you have to live with your hate. For some reason, you love replying to things that I've said, to try to make it seems as if I don't know what I am talking about. Get a life and move on. Stop being immature and grow up.

Get this to your head. Men aren't the only humans that can bulk up. Women can bulk up too. It's not about women putting on muscles at the same rate as men. A woman doesn't have to put on muscles at the same rate as a man, but it doesn't stop her from being able to bulk up. So many people, like yourself want people to believe that a woman can't bulk up, because she's not a man. You want people to believe that only men bulks up and that's not true. You will never be able to speak for anyone's body but your own. A woman knows her body. What might be true for one person's body, might not be true for the next person's body.

You came at me to try to correct me, because of your hatred towards me, but I didn't see you reply to Chevy88grl, the poster who I was agreeing with. She made it clear that she puts on muscles fast. Be man or woman enough, whatever you are and dispute her claim.

I don't know what your profession is and it's none of my business, but I do know you are trying to make it seem as if you are very knowledgeable about how a person puts on muscles, but yet, you couldn't even tell me how a person knows when they have gained muscles.

I'm done with you. You can waste your time replying to me all you want. I'm going to ignore you.

LOL. Chevy didn't say that she gains muscle fast that I saw

Get this through your head. You are clueless. PB knows what he is talking about.
    Seriously do some research.
  • PB67
    Options
    Careface
  • AZackery
    Options
    It really annoys me when people make blanket statements that they feel are fact for EVERYONE. I've run into that quite a few times and when I disagree with them - they accuse me of lying. Um. Okay. The biggest one people argue with me about? My calorie consumption. They tell me there's NO WAY I can eat as many calories as I do and maintain my current weight.

That's funny because I've been doing it for the better part of 6 months now. Or how they tell me that eating LESS won't make me GAIN weight - funny because when I eat less, I DO gain weight.

People need to relax and realize that people are all built just a little bit differently.

Eating less can make a person gain weight. Food plays a big part in losing weight.
  • PB67
    Options

See my post here for an explanation of your situation.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/374740-starvation-mode-neat
    Options

Eating less can make a person gain weight. Food plays a big part in losing weight.

That has nothing to do with muscle gain -.-

Read the link PB provided. Maybe you will learn something.
    Thanks for the link btw!
  • AZackery
    Options

Thanks for the link btw!

Sunshine_88, you are one of my haters as well and you are going to join your friend PB on my ignore list. You were so busy trying to defend your friend, you have clearly miss with I have said in my reply. My reply didn't have anything to do with gaining muscles. I was agreeing that eating less can make a person gain weight. I've stated that food plays an important role in losing weight.

Oh, and yes, I have made a mistake and said I was replying to Chevy88grl's post. It was Adjones5's post that I have replied to. It's hard for me to believe that your friend PB has overlooked Adjones5 post about her gaining muscles fast. He or she didn't dispute her claim. He or she came straight at me, because of his or her hatred towards me.

I'm done with you. You can reply back to me all you want, but you are being ignore.
    Options

Thanks for the link btw!

Sunshine_88, you are one of my haters as well and you are going to join your friend PB on my ignore list. You were so busy trying to defend your friend, you have clearly miss with I have said in my reply. My reply didn't have anything to do with gaining muscles. I was agreeing that eating less can make a person gain weight. I've stated that food plays an important role in losing weight.

Oh, and yes, I have made a mistake and said I was replying to Chevy88grl's post. It was Adjones5's post that I have replied to. It's hard for me to believe that your friend PB has overlooked Adjones5 post about her gaining muscles fast. He or she didn't dispute her claim. He or she came straight at me, because of his or her hatred towards me.

I'm done with you. You can reply back to me all you want, but you are being ignore.

And I should care why? Lol im not a hater. I enjoy laughing at your posts :D