Anyone have bunions?

Options
I do, the one on my right foot is the worst. I know they are hereditary, my mom has them. But when I worked at my old job the shoes I had to wear irritated them more. Now I don't have to wear those shoes at my new job, but they still are irritating. The right one is larger than the left and is really the only one that causes pain. I wrapped it today as I found on a video on youtube, and I saw a video of a bunion removal surgery which looked horrifying. Is there anything besides surgery to help with the pain? Also, if you had the surgery was it worth it?
Note: I also wear shoes that don't irritate them and have plenty of room normally unless it's a special occasion

Replies

• MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I have 2 bad, bad bunions, and yes, I inherited them. I had surgery about 10 years ago and the results were rubbish; just as bad as before. However, I gather the surgery has improved a lot in the last few years. Personally, I would leave it as long as you can though. Mine used to hurt but not any more - I think you kind of go through a barrier with them. So important to get the shoes right though; shoe shopping takes me ages.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've started to get one on my left foot and walking used to hurt..but for some reason it doesn't anymore...I'll keep away from surgery too for as long as possible....and wide shoes are get....I also got a toe thing off ebay from China..a silicone thing to place between the big toe and the next - it helped a bit and I just wore it a night for awhile...but the silicon irriated my skin :grumble:

Hope you work it out soon....

All the very best :flowerforyou:
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I had the surgery and it was totally worth it. I am 21 now and I was 19 when I had the surgery. I inherited them from my mom, who suffered with bad pain on both feet until she was 50 and had the surgery on both feet. Only my left was really bad, so I just had the surgery on that one. It was more painful that childbirth, I'm not going to lie, but SO worth it!!! After 6 weeks, when the boot came off, I was able to start running again right off the bat. You can also try ortho inserts for your shoes. I wear them in both shoes and the dr. said if I continue to wear them, I should never have to have surgery on my right foot and my left foot should not have the bunion grow back. Please feel free to message me if you have any other questions!!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery and it was totally worth it. I am 21 now and I was 19 when I had the surgery. I inherited them from my mom, who suffered with bad pain on both feet until she was 50 and had the surgery on both feet. Only my left was really bad, so I just had the surgery on that one. It was more painful that childbirth, I'm not going to lie, but SO worth it!!! After 6 weeks, when the boot came off, I was able to start running again right off the bat. You can also try ortho inserts for your shoes. I wear them in both shoes and the dr. said if I continue to wear them, I should never have to have surgery on my right foot and my left foot should not have the bunion grow back. Please feel free to message me if you have any other questions!!

Thanks for your input, about how long was your downtime after the surgery?
    Also what inserts do you use?
    I am going to look for some sort of bunion toe support that holds my foot similar to the wrapping technique as that seems to alleviate the pain.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I was in a walking boot for 6 weeks after the surgery. I was completely out of it for a week and a half. After that, I could walk short distances (go to work and class) in my boot. About 3 weeks after the surgery, I could exercise on the stationary bike and do upper body weight machines.

The inserts I use were given to me by the doctor. I haven't seen any like them in a store. They are super hard plastic that I had to get accustomed to over a few weeks because they hurt at first because they are so hard. But now i feel weird not wearing them and my feet hurt if I don't wear them but I can go all day with the inserts, something I couldn't do before my surgery & before the inserts.
  • onawhymm
    onawhymm Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I could be the national poster child for the Bunion Surgery Promotion Board!!!!! I had them bad on both feet and decided to do the surgery on both at the same time - I was 30. That was 20 years ago and its one of the best things I ever did for myself. Not only did it relieve the foot pain but my back issues were gone too as now I was walking correctly. Recently had foot surgery for another unrelated issue and the doc put my feet on the screen with the ultrasound and you could see how perfect a job my doctor did back 20 years ago. Do the research, find a good doctor and then just DO IT!!!!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    After working for a podiatrist for several years, I'd get a second and third opinion before jumping into surgery. I really like the website of a holistic DPM - www.nwfootankle.com as to alternative to surgery. IF you have surgery, know the recovery is LONG and you may never get the ROM back that you have now which can really restrict activities. It's a lot of hard work on your part. Shoes are the first source of issues. The bunions aren't really genetic, it's your gait more so. Best of luck.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Today I went out and got some toe spacers and a "goodnight bunion" set from walmart to wear at night. I wore the toe spaces today and noticed less pressure so I like them!
  • Chelsea_Marinos
    Chelsea_Marinos Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery in high school on one foot because it was so bad on my left foot my second toe over lapped the big toe and I couldnt even walk long distances with out resting and taking off my shoe. My right foot still has a bunion but it doesnt cause serious pain just hurts a little and is annoying so I guess it depends on how bad it really is! I hope this helped!