Does p90x or insanity work?

Options
Do they really work? Any successful stories?

Replies

• blakeman187
    Options
    Depends on your goal, the infomercials are a bit misleading. With that being said:

If you want to burn fat and get lean, they work great. People have awesome results.

If building muscle is your goal, then no, they won't do a damn thing. Go lift weights....
  • Still_Doll
    Options
    They help you lose inches, but not weight.
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    they will expose the muscle you have. Which is great for most women, for most do not want to get bulky. I did 30 days of p90 and Insanity ---- P90 is not for someone with back, neck, knee problems as I do Have. Insanity was better suited for me. Insanity is shorter in workouts and program duration. I have mixed up both and do 10min of each every other day in A HIT style. I have never had a six pack until doing this. P.S. Loved 10 min trainer. Insanity doesn't require anything but a towel and a water bottle..... P90 demands allot more. If sweat is a measure. Insanity makes you sweat like a spin class does.
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Yes. :happy:
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goal, the infomercials are a bit misleading. With that being said:

If you want to burn fat and get lean, they work great. People have awesome results.

If building muscle is your goal, then no, they won't do a damn thing. Go lift weights....

Um P90X has resistance training in it 3 days a week. So building muscle is definitely possible. In fact most women are usually afraid of doing P90X Classic for that very reason.
  • Stooooo
    Options
    Insanity makes you sweat like a spin class does.

Love this. Insanity's warm up is harder then most other work out DVD's.
  • prestonmay
    Options
    Insanity makes you sweat like a spin class does.

Love this. Insanity's warm up is harder then most other work out DVD's.

I agree ---- I do insanity warmup as cardio,,,,,I rarely go pass the stretch moves....
  • blakeman187
    Options

Um P90X has resistance training in it 3 days a week. So building muscle is definitely possible. In fact most women are usually afraid of doing P90X Classic for that very reason.

If your goal is to build muscle, and you had one guy doing heavy compound lifts and one guy doing p90X with resistance bands. I'm going to go ahead and put money that the guy lifting weights is going to put on a lot more muscle in the same amount of time as the other guy.
  • prestonmay
    Options

Agree with you. Fitness like type muscles and not a bulky body builder. I lost some muscle when I did Insanity . Had to dial it back some......
  • prestonmay
    Options

If your goal is to build muscle, and you had one guy doing heavy compound lifts and one guy doing p90X with resistance bands. I'm going to go ahead and put money that the guy lifting weights is going to put on a lot more muscle in the same amount of time as the other guy.

True.... agreed. But this is a women asking which is better for her. Assuming what most women GOALS are. Again I have assumed before and been wrong. I would do the Insanity . Either way BeachBody will get their money..LOL But like you said it really depends on her goals.....
  • Stooooo
    Options

Not everyone does it with resistance bands, in fact only 1 person in the video does it with bands. The rest do it with dumbbells. I did my first round with resistance bands, my second round I used power blocks that went up to 50 pounds. I actually packed on a decent amount of muscle.
  • blakeman187
    Options

True.... agreed. But this is a women asking which is better for her. Assuming what most women GOALS are. Again I have assumed before and been wrong. I would do the Insanity . Either way BeachBody will get their money..LOL

Fair enough lol. I agree, assuming her goal isn't being the next Rich Gaspari, Insanity/p90 would probably be the best route.
  • prestonmay
    Options
    I just did a demo of both for 30 days. So I am not a graduate of either. I think both are good. I would say try both for a week and see which fits your lifestyle and goal better. However I am an advocate of the BODY FOR LIFE program...Sorry for the Plug
  • prestonmay
    Options
    :smile:
  • prestonmay
    Options

True.... agreed. But this is a women asking which is better for her. Assuming what most women GOALS are. Again I have assumed before and been wrong. I would do the Insanity . Either way BeachBody will get their money..LOL

Fair enough lol. I agree, assuming her goal isn't being the next Rich Gaspari, Insanity/p90 would probably be the best route.

LOL

Not to Hijack this thread --- I am with you on the weights and the gym. 5 x 5 is all I need to do what I want and 20 mins of cardio HIT every other day. Alternating between the Insanity and P90 as cardio only has helped me. Time is precious. So my goal is to get in do as much as I can do and not sacrifice quality in 35 to 40 min and be on my way.
  • Stooooo
    Options
    I just did a demo of both for 30 days. So I am not a graduate of either. I think both are good. I would say try both for a week and see which fits your lifestyle and goal better. However I am an advocate of the BODY FOR LIFE program...Sorry for the Plug

Big fan of Body for Life. Great book.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options

Incorrect. I lost 35 lbs my round with P90X
  • fitness_woman
    Options
    I will use them to get in shape then! thank you everyone!
  • jdworth
    jdworth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tried P90X..ok..but workouts were to long in my opinion...Insanity was better but wouldn't suggest it for initially getting back into shape...and also a HUGE fan of Bill Philips and BFL!!!:smile:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

You're kidding, right? I lost 10 pounds my first month of Insanity, and the second time I did P90X I lost a total of 18 pounds. (The first time I didn't lose much of anything because my diet was bad).

And to be quite frank, back to the O/P's question, ANY exercise will work if you do it along with proper nutrition. Cardio + weights (or body weight exercises for Insanity) + proper nutrition = success no matter what program you do. :flowerforyou: