You have to try this tomato soup!

Options
nseuell
nseuell Posts: 110
It's a fairly clean recipe, and very filling. I adapted this from a 17 day diet recipe, but didn't measure precisely. This is my closest approximation:

1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp crushed garlic
Basil
5 mini bell peppers (we buy ours in bags from Costco)
Mix these ingredients in a soup pot - it sautées the garlic while roasting the peppers

Add
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes ( I used diced with basil and garlic)
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes ( buy lowest sodium brands here)

Simmer on medium heat. While it's simmering, I used my cuisinart food processing tool to crush the pepper and tomato chunks. If you do not have one of these, diced tomToes and roasted peppers will need to go in the food processor. When everything is blended, add 1.5 cups of plain greek yogurt (I prefer Fage) and 2 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese. Stir in dried or fresh basil. When heated, Garnish with fresh basil and Parmesan if desired.

Makes about 4 servings, at 178 calories per serving! Sodium and sugar depend on the brand of canned tomatoes you use.
Enjoy! I served mine with Parmesan crusted chicken - so yummy!

My husband loved it ( he compared it to Nordstom's creamy tomato nasal soup).

Replies

• nseuell
    nseuell Posts: 110
    Options
    *make that Nordstrom's creamy tomato BASIL soup - stupid autocorrect on I pad won't let me go back and edit:laugh:
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    sounds great! I have lots of basil to use up. Might make this tomorrow if I have time
  • Corey_louise35
    Options
    *make that Nordstrom's creamy tomato BASIL soup - stupid autocorrect on I pad won't let me go back and edit:laugh:

The nasal soup cracked me up, and laughing burns calories.
  • buckaroos30
    buckaroos30 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    sounds great I will be trying it soon. fall in soup weather. thanks for sharing.
  • pinkakira1
    pinkakira1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    yeah this sounds good. I was looking for something like this. Thanks
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    This was quite yummy! We don't have 'real' Greek yoghurt here, but I used low fat yoghurt and I liked the way it turned out. My husband said it tasted a bit like tomato sauce rather than soup, but it's still good. With the low fat yoghurt mine turned out to be less than 100 calories per serving, and it's perfect for the weather at the moment!
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    bump
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    looks clean, very nice. I'm going to try it.