MFP while Pregnant

Options
Hello MFP friends :) I recently found out that I am about 6 weeks pregnant *Yippie* My first OBGYN appointment wont be until I am 8 weeks. I would like to hear from those women who have become pregnant after joining MFP & those who joined MFP after finding out they were pregnant. I am on the fence honestly. I dont want to throw MFP out the window or put it on hold until I deliver in June 2012 becuase I unstanding that exercising and eating right it important to continue while pregnant...but a part of me is not sure how to continue counting calories. Should I even continue to could calories once in the second & third trimester? My understanding is that doctors recommended eating 300+ calories during the second trimester and 450+ during the third trimester. I also dont see that MFP allows the user to mannually chnage the calorie goal. Any comments or opinions are welcome. Just curious how other pregnant MFP user are or are not doing things. Thank You.

Replies

• nikibob
    nikibob Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    you can manually change your calorie goal to whatever you would like. along the top bar of the page, under 'my home', click on 'goals' and then the button that says change goals. from there you can tell it you want custom goals and you can set everything yourself. i don't think being on MFP is a bad idea while pregnant, just don't worry about being so strict to the numbers, use them as more of a guide to keep you from overeating instead of a way to lose weight. hope this helps and congratulations!
  • Anya1982
    Anya1982 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am nearly 19 weeks pregnant and this is my second pregnancy. With the fisrt pregnancy I could not exercise due to health complications. So I put 2 stones while pregnant, I still have 1 to lose. From 9 stones, I am now bit more than 10. This time I try to exercise every day!!! I am doing J. Michaels Banish fast, boost metabolism and try to do something else on the top of it, e.g. 30 days shred etc.
    I am eating around 1500-2000 cal per day and I will strongly advise you to try to be as active as possible and as healthy as possible. Weight after pregnancy is very difficult to lose despite what people are saying. I breastfeeded, watched what I eat but for 10 months I have not lost a pound. I think sleepless nights and tiredness does afect weight lost and slow down your metabolism. That is what experts say.
    Most mums are over weighted to me, and I am one of them as well. It is a fight and with the age goes by it is gonna be harder, but not impossible.
    I just have started swimming lessons for those days where my belly will be too big and won't be able to do aerobics.
    be healthy and active, a good body shape should be by product not the goal of a healthy life style.
    Good luck:) and congratulations:)
    P.s. I am sorry for the gramma mistakes, My English is not my fisrt language:)
    God bless you!X
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    bump....be interesting to see what others say!
    We are TTC, and my doc said once we are I can maintain my exercise regimen as long as it feels comfortable, and to eat
    at/around a maintenance calorie level...and to make sure I take my vitamins.

Congratulatiions:)
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I wish I had found this site while I was pregnant. In my opinion you should continue counting the calories and exercise it will for sure help you through your pregnancy and after. Ensure to inform your doctor. Enjoy your pregnancy:flowerforyou:
  • Fitmomtink
    Fitmomtink Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank so much everyone for your responses. Now that I know how to change my calorie goal...that will be very helpful! Also I would like to use the calorie goal as a guide, by no means will it be a number game, just a way for me to be aware of what I am eating as not to eat everything in sight.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i think mfp can me an amazing way to make sure you are getting the right amount of cals, and enough of the right kind of nutrients
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I just recently found out that I'm expecting our 5th baby (6th pregnancy). My appointment isn't until 11/1, but I might have to delay it due to a referral issue with my insurance. I'll be 8w1d at that appointment.

I've gone ahead and increased my calorie intake from 1200 to 1500 for now and I've lowered my exercise just a bit from burning 800-1200 calories M-F to just about 500-700. I've been consistently under my calorie goal but not by much, making sure I'm eating enough for the baby. At my appointment I plan on bringing this up with my Doctor who is a runner and a health nut so I'm going to be in good hands.

I'd suggest increasing your calorie intake and if you've been exercising for at least 6 months consistently, you can keep up with the same routine just listen to your body if it tells you that your thirsty or tired then act accordingly.
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!
    I am 15-16 weeks right now and have been consistently using MFP since jan 2010, lost 40 pounds and was in the midst of doing JM 6w6p when I found out I was pregant. my energy level did dip a bit during the first couple of months and i didn't push myself quite as hard as i did before i found out, but i am definitely trying to stay active throughout this pregnancy. I also changed to maintenance calories when I found out and now that I'm in my 2nd trimester will increase a little bit more and will make adjustments as needed to gain the recommended amounts each week. MFP is a part of my life and I will continue to track my calories and exercise every day. And I WILL NOT gain 40 pounds like I did w/my 1st pregnancy:wink:
  • Fitmomtink
    Fitmomtink Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing ladies! You don't know how much I appreciate the input. @Shell it's nice to know that you are currently using MFP while in 2nd trimester and it's been working for you. Increasing calories is definately something I will start today. I too would just like to monitor my food intak so I don't eat everything in sight & use pregnancy as an excuse to do so. I think MFP will help guide me through a HEALTHY pregnancy journey. My current goal is 1330 but I think I'll got to 1500 until the 2nd trimester starts. @Spicypepper! Wow, sounds like we are due around the same time. I have my first OBGYN appointment on 11/1 & I will be 7wk 6 days! Thanks so much for your support and sharing!
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i think its a great way to not go overboard while pg.. but give yourself some more grace than when you are not pg. i stopped keeping track of my calories out of ignorance when i was pg, and i put on more weight just due to eating more than i realized

congrats!! and good luck!