.. for those of you who don't feel you can give up pop...

Options
I know there have been several people post on here about their addiction to pop and caffeine. I've read a fair amount of books on diet, exercise, cleanses, and food in general. So, here are two excerpts from a book I've read called "Cinch!", that I think you should all read...

First about regular pop:
"...Sweetened drinks are the number one source of sugar in the American diet, and the consumption of sugary drinks has jumped by 70% since 1970.
Americans today average fifty gallons of sode and other sweetened beverages each year. This is an enormous problem because, as research shows, liquids are less satisfying than solid food. Beverages simply don't appear to register with our appetite controls. In a four-week study at Purdue University, volunteers were provided 450 calories per day as either soda or jelly beans; beyond that, they were allowed to eat whatever they wanted. In the end, the soda group consumed 17% more total calories than the jelly-bean group and the only the soda group gained weight. The lesson, of course, is not that jelly beans are good for weight loss, but that liquid calories will only put you on the fast track to an expanded waistline. One can of sweetened soda a day can turn into 15 pounds of body fat a year!!!
Soda is not only bad for your waistline but also can sabotage your health. Statistically, people who consume more sugar tend to eat more calories and fewer nutrients because empty-calorie foods and drinks such as soda tend to squeeze our nutrient-rich choices whose calories are bundled with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants (eg: sods instead of fresh fruit).
Plus, a higher intake of sugar is tied to nearly every chronic disease, including type 2 diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, certain cancers, and Alzheimers. A 20-ounce bottle of cola packs 250 calories from a whopping 68 grams of sugar-- that's 17 teaspoon's worth -- far exceeding the AHA's maximum daily recommended cap of 6 teaspoons of added sugar for woman, and 9 teaspoons for men..."

And for those who drink DIET soda:
"...When it comes to artificial sweeteners, the government has set an Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) -- the level of a substance that a person can safely consume every day over a lifetime without the risk of developing serious side effects. ADI is determined by toxicity studies, mostly in animals...
Over the decades in which fake sugars have been available, obesity rates have continued to skyrocket, and both animal and human studies tie these substances to weight gain rather than weight loss...
Statistically, the human risk of obesity actually increases with each daily serving of diet soda, even more so than it does for regular soda drinkers! One study found that for people who drank one to two cans of diet soda a day, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was 54.4%, compared with 32.8% for people drinking the same amount of sugar-sweetened soda."

I hope this will help you feel as though giving up pop is good for your body!!! :smile:

Replies

• raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this post!!! I have also heard that not drinking diet soda will help you lose weight...is this actually true according to your study you read? I have stopped for awhile but never lost weight. I am willing to try it again just to see.

Thanks again for this post!!!

Bev
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Though I believe that the whole "diet soda causes weight gain" thing is actually because artificial sweeteners can cause some people to crave sweets. It doesn't have that effect on me so I have a hard time believing that it's bad, even though I know those sweeteners are probably not good for me. I drink 3 cans and sometimes even 2 liters of diet soda a day and it seems to help me, I start to crave sweets and other carbs when I don't drink it. I was still able to lose 100 lbs and maintain most of that (85 lbs) for 3 years.
  • louise_608
    louise_608 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post, I am in the process of trying to give up the stuff. But think I am partly addicted to buying something each day which is often a fizzy drink or too. I need to start saving my money and not wasting it so fingers crossed that will be the kick I need to see how much of a saving I shall make
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Statistically, the human risk of obesity actually increases with each daily serving of diet soda, even more so than it does for regular soda drinkers! One study found that for people who drank one to two cans of diet soda a day, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was 54.4%, compared with 32.8% for people drinking the same amount of sugar-sweetened soda."

Correlation =/= causation.

People who are overweight are statistically more likely to be dieting, thus they are therefore statistically more likely to choose diet soda over regular.

There isn't a shred of evidence suggesting a causal relationship between artificial sweeteners and obesity.
  • TGoodman1971
    Options
    WOW !!! Thanks for sharing......As I was just sitting here thinking that I wanted a soda sooo bad, (but have not had one in over 2 weeks). I will NOT be drinking another soda !!!!!
    This story just put it all into light for me!!!
    Thanks again!!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    WOW !!! Thanks for sharing......As I was just sitting here thinking that I wanted a soda sooo bad, (but have not had one in over 2 weeks). I will NOT be drinking another soda !!!!!
    This story just put it all into light for me!!!
    Thanks again!!!

Please read it again, and look for any actual facts. As stated before correlation does not equal causality. As long as you track your calories, soda, either normal or diet, will not hinder your weight loss.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    <<--- Drinks 2 Diet Cokes a day and has successfully lost 70 lbs! :)
    I also run 4 days a week and workout a total of 5-6 days a week. I also have a piece of chocolate a day, in addition to a cup of coffee or two. And I use Splenda in my coffee.
    And yeah, I realize it contains toxins BUT I'd rather drink a diet soda rather than smoke or do drugs.
  • sanguinary
    Options
    I've given up soda on and off throughout the years. Currently, I drink maybe one soda a week. When I do drink soda, it becomes excessive, as in two two liters a day! I gain about 3 lbs a week when I drink soda.. I never feel satisfied. My husband was down to 180 (perfect for his height and body frame) but began drinking soda again a few months ago and is now at 200. He also smokes which has kept him at 200. He has some bad habits I know! Anyway, it's great putting it into perspective - thanks!
  • emmiee921
    emmiee921 Posts: 224
    Options
    Ye i heard diet soda jusy makes you crave more, so my drinkng diet soda compared to regular with the same diet then obviosuly you would gain more with the regular soda
  • tebbs915
    tebbs915 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    by the way... I am in no way saying that people can't or shouldn't, or don't successfully lose weight. i'm simply providing some information that people can read to make their own mind up.

i personally gave up pop 7 months ago, and i feel great. and, from what i've learned, it'll take about a year for a female to really see the effects/change in weight after stopping.

to each their own. isn't that the point of this site?
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I realized that I didn't really like the taste of soda, just the fizz. It was easy for me to start drinking sparkling water and quit soda.