popcorn from popcorn makers

Options
Ok, question, this is the second time I've had popcorn (handful or two) from machines that make popcorn, like a movie theater but not from the theather. Does that make sense?? I'm not sure if they are using oil to make it or not. I'm guessing no, no butter either. I'm not sure which choice to use to count my calories. Any suggstions?

Replies

• sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Does it taste like crap??? If so, you might be right .. they might be making it without oil, but I'm not sure how they'd get it to pop unless they're using an air popper.

Is there a way you can ask someone how it's made?
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes they use some funky seasoned oil that has way too much salt. If you really have to have popcorn make it yourself. I've got a stovetop popper that works great, but an air popper would be healthier.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I know in movie theaters they use a butter oil that gives the popcorn that yellow AND white look to it. If they didn't use any oil or butter the popcorn would be consistently pale (depending on whether they are using yellow or white popcorn) and it would take a little like cardboard. Without ANY salt or seasoning popcorn isnt' the tastiest thing in the world. Trust me, this is coming from the girl that has a stir crazy popper and sometimes eats nothing but popcorn for dinner... quite often!
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Movie theater type machines definitely use oil, often in forms that are very trans fat heavy. (They are more like and emulsified oil or almost a shortening)