Diet Recipes we all can enjoy

Options
I LOVE to cook comfort food. Cottage Pie, Spaghetti, Gunky Chicken and rice Meat and potatoes etc. Now that I am on this No bad sugar and No "whites" I am noticing that my menu is getting very, very boring. it's like plain chicken plain veggie. Or I will make a Chicken pie for the kids and I throw a plain slab of tilapia onto a pile of green leafy stuff. I would love to make some family type meals that we all can enjoy without messing up my diet. If any of you have some good recipes, I would LOVE THEM!!!

Replies

• hatravers
    hatravers Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    u can have anything but in moderation, dont cut out the good food or u will crave it and binge when u finally allow yourself to have it
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of ways to make healthier versions of comfort foods. In this case, google is your friend.

A few quick thoughts though: sub ground oats for breadcrumbs, sweet potato for white potato, brown rice for white rice, whole wheat flour/pasta for regular. Cut fats in half and increase seasonings. Hummus is a great healthy sub for mayo on a sandwich or in tuna salad.
  • AppleADayAmber
    Options
    One of my fav meals to make is all sorts of peppers, sliced stir fry style,onions with mushrooms over brown rice..but the key to the recipe is the brown soy sauce..u can season it with whatever u like..I prefer my food spicy so I use,,garlic,onion,cayeene and red crushed pepper flakes ,also I use lots of rosemary and basil...YUM!!! ...another dish I like is ..whole wheat grain tortilla cooked up like a miny pizza..if u want to stay away from cheese..use vegan cheese..Hope these helps.:) also u can add me..I recently started going vegan about a month ago and I have alot of healthy fast foods in my diary
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I agree with Hatravers, anything in moderation! If this is a life style, not a short term diet, then you need to be able to eat things normally. I'm to the point now that I trust myself to get a portion of chips out in a bowl, put the rest up and sit down and enjoy what I wanted. Food is a part of our life, and it's not always going to be healthy so it's better to teach yourself how to cook (maybe changed a little though) and eat the things you like.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    try some recipes from weight watchers, skinny girl, half my size there are so many sights that make healthy versions and then make it for all of you who will know you cant tell the difference most of the time
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I have put all my comfort recipes into my recipes file, but I only have one serving (and a much smaller serving than I used to have). I fill up on steamed veggies or a big salad. My slim husband doesn't get resentful, and I'm not cooking different meals for each family member. I was surprised that my recipes were not all that terrible when I figured their nutritional info. Much better than eating out or getting fast food, and much tastier.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    The Internet!
    There are many recipe websites. Most grocery stores have recipes online too. Put fish recipe in the search box and, bang, more stuff than you can make in a month. It has low calorie, low sugar, low carb. Just hit that handy search button.:drinker:
  • yeaforme
    Options
    I love these ideas! Thank you thank you thank you!!
  • AngieMoore1975
    AngieMoore1975 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Eggplant lasagna.....make sauce as usual but use extra lean ground chicken instead of ground beef and substitute sliced eggplant for noodles...

Another is spaghetti squash with your regular spaghetti sauce again substitute the ground beef with ground chicken.

Something I love too is pork or beef roast. For vegetables do roasted carrots and turnip (in pan with a drizzle of olive oil and fresh rosemary) and instead of mashed potatoes....roasted mashed squash. Cut an acorn squash in half, scoop out seeds. place on cookie sheet and roast for about an hour. When done scoop out of shell and mash. It is soooo sweet and delish! You will never miss the potatoes! Promise!

Chili....again with extra lean ground chicken. Lots of veggies like onions, peppers, mushrooms etc. sometimes I even add grated carrots. You don't taste them but they are a great filler and add extra vitamins. Add black or white beans for lots of fiber. And I find when you make anything with a tomatoe base like chili, spaghetti sauce or lasagna and use the ground chicken instead of ground beef....no one will even notice. It is so good! My husband and kids can never even taste the difference.

Hope these are some ideas you can use....good luck! Enjoy! :)
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ndswimchick22
    ndswimchick22 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Go to skinnytaste.com

They have tons of family friendly foods that both you and your family can enjoy!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    maybe you will like some of my meals in this blog:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/hmalin1/view/my-favorite-foods-to-cook-161286

I note that I didn't mention sweet potatos in there...but they go very well with half of the recipes.
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You may want to try the magazine Everyday Food. It's a Martha Stewart magazine. I don't like her but I do LOVE this magazine for quick, easy, healthy food ideas. I made a simple Veggie Egg Scramble with Feta last night that was delish!
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love this site: http://fatfreevegan.com/
    whole, healthy and tasty!