JOINED GYM

Options
So today after much thought i have paid my dues and have joined a gym; There is no time like the present so i am going to go workout for the first time in 2 or more years. Feel if i pay for a gym i will go becasue i am too frugal to waste money. Any suggestions on what excerices to do? I know i will get on the bike for 20 mintues or so but need more of a round about workout.

Replies

• wannabefit_amanda
    Options
    Do at least 30 mins of cardio, then weights for about 30-60 mins. :) Thats what I do.
  • AngelsheriHackley
    AngelsheriHackley Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Do the elliptical for 45mins to an hour five days a week.. It's working for me
  • fabi8081
    fabi8081 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Do at least 30 mins of cardio, then weights for about 30-60 mins. :) Thats what I do.
    Thats what I do also. This works very well.
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I do zumba for cardio. It's a fun way to get it in. It really works up a sweat.
  • arwaleenah
    arwaleenah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i usually get bored doing exercise all by myself so i attend group fitness classes. you get to know people and get a workout as well. if you prefer to workout all by yourself try to change things up every now n then. goodluck
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    When we joined our gym we got one free meeting with a personal trainer to show us the weight machines etc. It might help to ask your gym if they have something similar. Maybe they can at least spend a little time setting you up with an exercise plan. It doesn't hurt to ask.
  • lhinds85
    lhinds85 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    yes i received the free training. They didn't have any avaiable till monday.
  • lhinds85
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice. I did go workout today even though they closed at 8pm. SN: That sucks
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Feel if i pay for a gym i will go becasue i am too frugal to waste money. Any suggestions on what excerices to do? I know i will get on the bike for 20 mintues or so but need more of a round about workout.
    Congratulations! You have made a great start by joining a gym! Plunking down the cash for gym time and being, um, frugal is a great motivator. I am downright cheap, and the gym time is starting to show tiny results after more than a month. I am betting you don't have a personal trainer to evaluate your abilities (I do not) so take it slooow and increase sloooowly to prevent injury

Do a realistic self-assessment before lifting a single weight! Some people are totally out of shape, not flexible, and perhaps have not really exercised for decades (that's me).

Before you decide on exercises, decide on your goal. Are you trying for strength or endurance? Strength does not mean massive muscles, it could mean dancing better. Endurance could be walking, cycling, or social activities.

Ask for help on the machines. Get the gym people to show you how to set it. Have them show you the proper positioning and posture.

Search the web for exercise suggestions - upper body, core (trunk, back, and sides), legs. Video sites show how to move without hurting.

Start slow. I started lifting weights with no weight- just going through the movements to see how it feels. Then I used two pound dumbbells for a week. It was a test if I would go to the gym, and made sure not to get injured and discouraged. I kept adding more weight over weeks until I really felt the load, and I don't try to show off with more.

You want to start with cycling - a good start and very safe. Take it seriously and you will do better and not waste your time.

Some people sit on the bike and read and throw their legs in circles. You will get MUCH more out of a shorter time if you pay attention to your technique (really try to move your legs in smooth circles), your speed (rpm), and only then start adding resistance to the bike. Technique - try for just 1 minute to pedal with one foot, letting the other hang loose. Snug the strap down on your foot. Make smoooooth circles with that pedal, pick up that leg, forward, down, back, repeat. Sounds easy? try it.

Cardio is lighter weight with more repetitions. Adjust the seat just like a real bike for almost full leg extension. Use those foot straps, and you can work your calves as well as your quadriceps. Try to cycle at 80 (doing very well) to 100 (impressive!) rpm, at a light resistance, just enough so you do not bounce in the seat. If that is too fast, start slower. Life has variations, so try the hill climbing routines on the bike which alternate heavy, slow effort with fast, light effort. If you are falling down to 60 rpm, decrease the load.

Start light, avoid injury, and you will keep going to the gym and see real progress!
  • lhinds85
    Options
    Feel if i pay for a gym i will go becasue i am too frugal to waste money. Any suggestions on what excerices to do? I know i will get on the bike for 20 mintues or so but need more of a round about workout.
    Congratulations! You have made a great start by joining a gym! Plunking down the cash for gym time and being, um, frugal is a great motivator. I am downright cheap, and the gym time is starting to show tiny results after more than a month. I am betting you don't have a personal trainer to evaluate your abilities (I do not) so take it slooow and increase sloooowly to prevent injury

Do a realistic self-assessment before lifting a single weight! Some people are totally out of shape, not flexible, and perhaps have not really exercised for decades (that's me).

Before you decide on exercises, decide on your goal. Are you trying for strength or endurance? Strength does not mean massive muscles, it could mean dancing better. Endurance could be walking, cycling, or social activities.

Ask for help on the machines. Get the gym people to show you how to set it. Have them show you the proper positioning and posture.

Search the web for exercise suggestions - upper body, core (trunk, back, and sides), legs. Video sites show how to move without hurting.

Start slow. I started lifting weights with no weight- just going through the movements to see how it feels. Then I used two pound dumbbells for a week. It was a test if I would go to the gym, and made sure not to get injured and discouraged. I kept adding more weight over weeks until I really felt the load, and I don't try to show off with more.

You want to start with cycling - a good start and very safe. Take it seriously and you will do better and not waste your time.

Some people sit on the bike and read and throw their legs in circles. You will get MUCH more out of a shorter time if you pay attention to your technique (really try to move your legs in smooth circles), your speed (rpm), and only then start adding resistance to the bike. Technique - try for just 1 minute to pedal with one foot, letting the other hang loose. Snug the strap down on your foot. Make smoooooth circles with that pedal, pick up that leg, forward, down, back, repeat. Sounds easy? try it.

Cardio is lighter weight with more repetitions. Adjust the seat just like a real bike for almost full leg extension. Use those foot straps, and you can work your calves as well as your quadriceps. Try to cycle at 80 (doing very well) to 100 (impressive!) rpm, at a light resistance, just enough so you do not bounce in the seat. If that is too fast, start slower. Life has variations, so try the hill climbing routines on the bike which alternate heavy, slow effort with fast, light effort. If you are falling down to 60 rpm, decrease the load.

Start light, avoid injury, and you will keep going to the gym and see real progress!

Thanks so much for the advice. I love the bike. Your suggestions is exactly what i do. I try to keep at 80 to 90 rpm and do over 100 of and one for 2 mintue intervals. I have a free assessment with the trainers on Monday and plan to utilize that time getting to know the machines. I have horrible upper body strength and want to be able to do push ups by December.
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I was already a member at a gym but I made the investment in a personal trainer. It was a tough $$ bullet to bite, but I knew that would make the difference for me. Take advantage of the free session to get some ideas for a program that combines cardio and weights. Then, if you can swing it, get another session a couple of months down the road to change things up.

I still don't like going to the gym, but I always feel better when I'm finished with my sessions.
  • khua0808
    Options
    If you make gym your regular routine such as brushing your teeth or going to work, you will build unbelievable discipline, confidence, and body.
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My best advice having been in the same place is mix it up.......

I am lucky I have been able to have a PT which has really helped but other then that try everything

Do cardio, weights, classes

Find a gym buddy for some days to keep you acountable

Swim if they have a pool...

keep your body guessing by not always having the same routine

And just keep going....

Lucy