DIVORCED WOMEN I NEED YOUR HELP!

Options
Ok, so My husband left me one month ago, he said he just didn't want to be married anymore...He says that he just can't be the man I NEED him to be so he left me and MY small children in the middle of the night. After that horrible mess my mother passed away this past weekend. I am going through such a terrible storm right now.

Ok here is what I am needing help with..... How do you let him go? How do you not get jealous over his actions? How do you stop wanting to know where he is and what he doing or who he is with? How do I let him go?

I know i probably need to go to counseling, and i am definately trying to get into someone but I feel like it will be better hearing your stories to help me process and find my "own" way.

Please help me.....my daughters NEED me to be strong enough to let him go I'm just not sure how?

Replies

• irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Not divorced...yet. We are just separated but our marriage was over pretty much as soon as it started. Now we're just in the legal steps to go our separate ways. Counseling, and lots of it. Feel free to add me, too. I'm right now in the angry phase although I've vowed not to talk too much about it (but will one on one with you via pm's if you'd like). I realize I deserve better because I stood by him even when he didn't deserve me. He chose to be with another woman not that long after he said "I do" to me and didn't want to choose between the two of us. I'm still hurt, and still have days where I cry all day long, but I certainly don't want him. It's a process.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Wow... just, wow. I guess the only solace you can take is in the fact that he was obviously a selfish, sad human being who is more of a boy than a man. My boyfriend left me in 2003 when I found out I was pregnant, so I've never been divorced, but I can relate to a degree. I was recently married to a man who was 10x the man that my daughter's father could even dream of being. Took me a long, long time to trust someone again though. A LONG time. That said, the fact that your husband was so selfish and juvenile as to leave his children in the middle of the night is beyond disgusting to me. I know you didn't ask for your husband to be bashed, but I am so angry that a "man" could do that to his own children. I am just... disgusted.

I am so sorry you've gone through all this. Things do happen for a reason, though, so things will get better. I can't even begin to tell you how to get over it. All I can say is that time will heal you, but it will also leave a scar that will affect you for the rest of your life. I really, really feel for you. (((hugs)))
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too. I'm going through a divorce right now where he left me also. We have a 2 year old daughter. Take it 1 day at a time. I know its not easy but it will get easier.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not a woman but I had to weigh in since I am in the exact same boat you are. After what seemed like a perfectly good relationship, my wife walked out on me a little over a month ago. Packed her stuff and left while I was at work and moved in with her mom. Thankfully we don't have any kids.

The one thing I've taken away from the experience is that she is selfish and was not concerned about "us". I've also realized now in that "hindsight is 20/20" kind of way, that I am better off without her if she is going to act that way. Your ex has done the same thing, acted selfishly and in his own best interest not the "family".

Tell yourself you are better off with him gone, your daughters are better off with him gone. Also, Condolences on your mothers passing :(
  • angee1126
    angee1126 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I went through a pretty bad divorce....he up and left me and our 3 boys (ages 8,4 & 2) for his new girlfriend that he started having an affair with 6 months prior to me finding out.......it was pretty traumatic to say the least. I was at one time in your shoes and thinking how would i get through this and over him......and the only thing i can advise is what helped me was to take it day by day. Be strong for your children, but don't hold all that crap in! Let it out. Whether it be through exercise, talking with girlfriend or family or seeing a therapist...just let it out....all the emotions, because that's one thing i didn't do at first because i was "too embarrassed" to let people know the "dirt" of our marriage. Now almost 7 years later, i see that the best thing was for us to divorce because we were both miserable. I don't like how he left....but there's nothing i could have done to have changed it. Stay strong and keep your head up.....as the saying goes..... This too shall pass! :flowerforyou:
  • Bigtime078
    Options
    Hopefully my 2 cents helps...

I can speak as a man about the same issues. I got married too young, to a woman who was not ready to grow up. She decided she wanted to move on, because my job sent me away for a while, and I'm guessing she realized she was not in love as much as lust. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out exactly where I went wrong, what I could have done differently. You know, after a lot of sould searching and embarrassment, I had to realize I didn;t have the problem she did. What I hope you realize in this. The feelings you have are natural and will run their course. If you don't deal with them now, you'll deal with them later. So cry as much as you want right now. That way it's out of your system. Just try to grow stronger everyday...
  • phoenixsonrisa1198
    Options
    As a recent divorced woman, the only thing that I can say is that it's going to take time. We usually want the pain to go away quickly but whatever emotion you are feeling just let it all out. I mean if you want to cry, do so...if you want to be angry, that is fine too. We are supposed to be feeling these feelings. I still have feelings for my ex and I see him about everyday (we work out at the same gym). I would suggest seeing a counselor to help you get your mojo back. I am seeing one and it definitely helps.

The best thing you can do about not thinking about him...is not to think about it. If you feel yourself thinking of where he is at or who he is with, just tell yourself STOP and replace it with a better thought.

It's funny though my husband said the same thing to me as well....but he was dealing with anxiety, PTSD, depression etc. So there are some issues that he needs to figure out. I just have to give him sometime...and if we get back together, then so be it....if not, then it wasn't meant to be.

Yes, you need to be strong for your daughters but the best thing you can do is to take care of yourself (mentally, spiritually, and physically). If you can't take care of yourself first, then you won't be good to anyone, even your daughters. I hope that it helps. If you want to talk more, then you can definitely add me...

Take care...
  • tracy337
    tracy337 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Was in your place last year, only not married, but together for a little over 6 years and 3 young children. Went out on a first date with his current GF the very next night. Feel free to add me :)
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I have never been married, but have two exes I have kids with and it is hard. Try to keep it clean, no spying, no phone calls no nothing. Focus on something else, losing weight and exercise would be great.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

I'm the dumper not the dumpee and my ex-husband and I had no kids but the way I coped was focusing on other things. Throwing myself into my job and my friends.

You're asking about all the emotional things that go with it instead of the things like who gets the house and kids and such so I'm going to assume that you already have a lawyer. If not, get one stat.

It takes time to let go. That's all there is to it. One day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time. Do whatever it takes to distract you (without neglecting the kids or putting them in any danger of course). See your friends and other family as much as you can but do your best to NOT talk about him. Get a new hobby or get reinvolved in one you already have. Just anything to focus your attention on to keep it off him.
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear all of this. Especially the part about your mom. You can't get her back. I'm sorry. Now let me tell you something......And you listen to me!!!! YOU WILL go on in your life. YOU WILL find true love. YOU WILL be successful. YOU WILL be happy. YOU WILL grow stronger from this. You will have a new chapter in your life, and it will be a ZILLION times better than the last chapter. Trust me! YOU WILL BE OK! Please be happy that your previous piece of crap man in gone. He's a loser and you can bet that the carma bug will bite him right in the MONKEY HOLE! Be strong, Lisa from California
  • mmelledge
    mmelledge Posts: 150
    Options
    I was divorced from my 1st husband about 8 years ago. My 2nd husband and I were separated for about 2 years, and reconciled early in 2011.

That said, when he (2nd) left me, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. I actually slapped myself across the face to wake myself up (which really sucked, because I'd had wisdom teeth pulled the day before). I went through absolute hell, for lots of reasons, for quite awhile. Part of the big problem was I had been mis-diagnosed with a mood disorder, and the medicines messed me up a lot. A lot, as in almost killed me.

But...

I found a therapist that I adored. She'd stay on the phone with me when I cried so hard I couldn't breathe.
    I went to all my necessary doctor appointments (found out I have hypothyroidism which affects mood, weight, and lots of other stuff).
    I kept a journal. You never have to go back and read even 1 single page of it, but writing is tremendously therapeutic. Get it OUT.
    I thought about my two kids. Every day, all the time. Many days that's the only thing that got me out of bed.
    I learned about mindfulness. What an invaluable life tool. I suggest everyone on the planet practice this every day!!

One day at a time. You can't do more than that whether you want to or not, so don't even try! If you have to tell yourself a thousand times a day that things will eventually get better, then tell yourself.

Be there for your girls, but remember that you're only going to be able to do so if you take care of yourself.

Sending you tons of mental hugs and good healing energy. Time heals, I promise.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I wasnt married to him but my boyfriend (and my oldest sons biological father) left us without saying a word. I had to track him down in another city to see what was going on and he just said hes not coming home with some girl laughing in the background. he hasn't seen my 6 yr old son since he was 6 months old. I thought I was going to die i had no clue how to do it on my own but slowly I started surrounding myself with family and friends and realized MY life is MINE and men can come and go but my family will always be my family. Until then just keep busy, fake it til u make it IMO.
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    http://www.marriagesherpa.com/ if its really over it has a section for that toooo.......
  • pixiesx3
    pixiesx3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It is not easy. Honestly, if it were not for my faith, I never would have made it through this far. That is not saying that I didn't have those feelings! The feelings you are experiencing are similar to the loss of a loved one. Oh wait! That is exactly what they are. You will go through the same stages as someone experiencing death of a spouse. Definitely find someone to talk to while you are navigating this path. It is more than doubly hard when dealing with the loss of your mom. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I am a single mom of 3 girls - twins 11 and twingle 8(in 2 weeks)! He left, mentally, before he left physically. We were married for 8.5 years when he decided to tell me he loved someone else. (Long, sad, and yet amusing now, story.) He told me he was leaving 11/16/08 and physically left 12/19/08. Nice, eh? Divorce was final 12/1/09. I am coming up on my 2 year anniversary!

When he left he moved about 2.5 hours away. He rarely calls the girls. Sometimes it is 8 or 9 months between contact. He is over $50k in arrears on child support. And until August, I didn't know where he was for about 7 months. He has not seen them in about a year either.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about how my faith helped me heal. I wish I'd had a different outcome and that he had the same faith that I do. His loss.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    I would say it takes time, but since you have a child you really have to stop focusing on the question why and focus on your child and family. Nothing happens without reason therefore I would just thank the happy years spent together and move on. There will be someone who will stay. It never worth to cry for those who doesn't really care.

“Assume that every problem in your life is a lesson to make you stronger. Then you never feel like a victim.”

If there is something in your life you don't want, stop worrying about it and stop talking about it! The Energy you put into it keeps it alive. Withdraw your energy and it will likely go away!

You will find peace not by trying to escape your problems, but by confronting them courageously. You will find peace not in denial, but in victory.

Show him that you were worth it by letting him go, if he loves you he will find the way back if he doesn't than like I said he doesn't worth a moment to waste on him.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Divorce is hard on everyone involved. I'm so sorry about your Mom's passing. Everything happens for a reason. I wish the best for you and your children. In the long run, he will be the one that misses out on his children growing up. I hope he regrets the day he left you. He took the easy way out. I hope you seek counselling, I think it will help you to sort out all your answers.
    I hope you will be ok, for your childrens sake.....
  • cba4994
    cba4994 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Focus on the things that you can control...taking care of your precious children, taking care of yourself and how you choose to react to what he has done. In time you will realize that his leaving had way more to do with his shortcomings not yours. He has already hurt you and your kids enough by leaving, don't subject yourself to more pain by wondering who's with, why he left ect....focus on healing. Counseling is a must and surround yourself with supportive, positive people. So sorry about your mom's passing. Best wishes.
  • DDLesh
    DDLesh Posts: 2
    Options
    I hate to say this and you are going to hate to hear it, but TIME. When my ex and I got a divorce I was devastated, not to mention was still suffering from postpartum depression. I went through the same thing, wanting to know where he is and what he is doing. It was one of the worst times of my life and I was a mess with two little ones under 4. Some days were better than others and some days just plain SUCKED! This is a process and the more you try to push it away it the harder it's going to be later. Get out of the house, spend time with friends, take a class, pick up a hobby, whatever you need to do to distract yourself and prove to yourself that there is life outside of him.... a wonderful, beautiful life.
    Be aware of your feelings when you are experiencing them, good and bad. When you feel a strong emotion, sit back and take a few moments to just feel it, be in that moment! If it's a negative feeling, the sooner it will pass if you just embrace that it is there and you are human and experiencing emotion. Don't beat yourself up for being emotional, you are human and you should embrace it! I know it's a different way of looking at it, but it really helped me!
    After a while things will even out and you will be OK. Promise!!!! My heart goes out for you and know that you are not alone in this!
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Well...In 2004 I was divorced myself after 8 yr relationship. He found someone younger and skinnier. (but not prettier, lol) JK>

Anyway, I went thru a lot of private counseling to overcome this and it REALLY helped. I found my friends and family could only help so much. Some how a complete stranger can give a better perspective on things. There are stages on grief, and when you hit the angry phrase you will feel much better.

You need to be strong for your girls. Put all your hurt into something productive. My mother also died a few years ago. So I feel your pain. You need to find something positive to focus on, join a support group. It all really helps. I wish you all the luck in new life. I leaned on friends when I needed to and talked about it as much as i needed. And in time I healed and so will u! Add me if you want and we can talk anytime you want. I definitely know what your going thru.