1st time in running event!!!!

Options
8th Jan 2012 will be my 1st running event ever. I am never a runner. It will be a 6km route. Any tips guys? I am not talking about top ten but at least I am not the last 10. Eeekkk!!!

I have 2 months to prepare....i hope that would be good enough.

Replies

• aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    My first one since being in the military. 5k next month. I'm kind of excited. Not trying to win. Just concentrating on finishing strong.
  • TamLind83
    TamLind83 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Try starting a plan that has you do a combination of running and walking to achieve your distance goal, that's what I use when I run 5km and it works well for me.

I haven't used it personally, but my roommate did a plan called couch to 5k and she really liked it. She felt that it was a great tool for getting into running.

Good luck!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    No tips, but I wish you the best of luck! I've hated running all of my life but I'm determined to learn how to do it. I recently bought a book called Chi Running (a program one of my group exercise instructors swears by) and I'm looking forward to improving! I started the C25k a few weeks ago and so far its been doable. YOU ROCK!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    If you search C25K on the internet, you can find the free plan. Good luck and enjoy! Once you get comfortable running, it feels pretty great.

And one tip: Exhale each breath completely, and you won't get a stitch in your side.
  • nonafit
    nonafit Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will google up on c25k plan and start on that. Will keep posted. As aa1440's puts it - I just want to finish strong. Don't want to end up clowning myself. Butterfly in stomach already.