Any recommendations for sensational non-fiction books?

Options

Replies

• C110266Chris♥
    Options
    The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson
    Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History by Erik Larson
    Moneyball by Michael Lewis

Thank you very much! Appreciate it.
  • C110266Chris♥
    Options
    "Unbroken" and "Seabiscuit" both by Lauren Hillenbrand
    "Here Comes Trouble" by Michael Moore
    "Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea" by Barbara Demrick

Thank you Pattycake! Will check them out.
  • C110266Chris♥
    Options
    A Strange Wilderness, by Amir D. Aczel. Left me thinking,"I didn't know that."

Awesome Koosdel, thank you!
  • peacheywoo
    peacheywoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    CIder with Rosie (Laurie Lee) - an English classic - its an autobiography that is a perfect snapshot of English country life in the 30's
    Jigsaw Man (Paul Britton) - memoires of a Criminal Psychologist working with the British Police
    Geisha (Liza Dalby) - non Japanese woman trains in the arts of Geisha
    Amish Grace (Donald Kraybill) - the reactions of the Amish community to a child death
    Sarah;s seasons (Martha Moore Davis) - a simple 'diary' of one Amish womans life - one of the most compelling books I've ever read..
  • divainme
    divainme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for putting this post up.... I love to read and have my own personal non fiction library. I can't wait to sink my eyes into some of these books.
  • divainme
    Options
    I am reading Eat, Pray, Love. Its better than the movie and interesting. Gives me hope for what the future holds for me.

This is one of my favorite books.... The movie was good but it missed so much that made it great.
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have a few good self-help books that I frequently reference:

The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga by Deepak Chopra and David Simon (thanks, Kickboxer69, for introducing me to this wonderful book!)

Getting Things Done by David Allen

Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard by Chip Heath and Dan Heath
  • divainme
    Options
    Some of my favorites are:

Shake Hands with the Devil - by Romeo Dallaire
    They Poured Fire on Us from the Sky - by Ajak
    Freakonomics - by Levitt and Dubner
    How to 'Talk so Kids will Listen & Listen so kids will Talk - by Faber and Mazlish
    Kids are Worth it - by Collorosso
    Never Eat Alone - by Keith Ferrazzi
    A Long Way Gone - by Beah

These are some of my favorites.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Churchill: A Life by Martin Gilbert
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I love reading. . .a sorts. . . I am quite ecclectic when it comes to books, music, furniture. . Just me lol. .I have been reading Christian books of late. . If you would like some titles and authors please feel free to PM me. . last time I posted a Christian book title in a thread it got deleted. . . I don't want to mess up your thread. . I love all the suggestions here.

Jillian Michaels has some great books. . I have Master the Metabolism and Unlimited.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    While I haven't read it yet, In The Garden Of Beasts by Erik Larson is supposed to be fantastic. My husband is listening to it right now and is raving about it.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs to know Barrons! Darkfever (book 1) Karen Marie Moning :bigsmile:

awww **** reading FAIL! that is so fiction....
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    Into the wild and Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. Also, Escape by Carolyn Jessop.

.....I'm obsessed with FLDS :)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    If you're into science, check out Why Beauty is Truth: A History of Symmetry by Ian Stewart.

From Amazon:

"Anyone who thinks math is dull will be delightfully surprised by this history of the concept of symmetry. Stewart, a professor of mathematics at the University of Warwick (Does God Play Dice?), presents a time line of discovery that begins in ancient Babylon and travels forward to today's cutting-edge theoretical physics. He defines basic symmetry as a transformation, "a way to move an object" that leaves the object essentially unchanged in appearance. And while the math behind symmetry is important, the heart of this history lies in its characters, from a hypothetical Babylonian scribe with a serious case of math anxiety, through Évariste Galois (inventor of "group theory"), killed at 21 in a duel, and William Hamilton, whose eureka moment came in "a flash of intuition that caused him to vandalize a bridge," to Albert Einstein and the quantum physicists who used group theory and symmetry to describe the universe. Stewart does use equations, but nothing too scary; a suggested reading list is offered for more rigorous details. Stewart does a fine job of balancing history and mathematical theory in a book as easy to enjoy as it is to understand."
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I know you said nonfiction but I can't help myself.

The one book that blew my mind completely was House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. It covers physics, poetry, horror, drama, drugs, legacy, death...I could go on. Amazing. I've read it 4 times in 6 years and every time is like a new experience. It's like no book you've ever seen. Literally:

165251719_7973acc084.jpg

Also:

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
    * Pre- and post-apocalyptic fiction, not for the faint of heart. Genetic modification of mammals including "humans", chaos, biological weapons, slavery, personal tragedy, solitude, psychosis, etc.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel
    * A young man's family sets sail from Pondicherry, India to Canada. They run a zoo and many of the animals come along. There's a wreck. Pi, a young boy, winds up alone on a lifeboat with an adult tiger. He's at sea for months. Theme: spirituality and personal growth.

Anyway, I couldn't stop myself! They are sooooo worth it. :happy:
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I want to thank everyone that posted on here!! I was actually afraid that it would be a non commented on topic and you all shown me that I was not the only one that reads non fiction. ha! =0) Thanks again!
  • C110266Chris♥
    Options
    I want to thank everyone that posted on here!! I was actually afraid that it would be a non commented on topic and you all shown me that I was not the only one that reads non fiction. ha! =0) Thanks again!

Agreed, thanks to all for your suggestions! I plan to review every single one!@ I have a bunch that I love as well. Will have to take the time to post!

Thank you everyone for your contributions! Appreciate it very much. We do seem to be a select few that enjoy non-fiction. :))