MFP Cardio Tracker

Options
I'm wondering about the accuracy of the MFP cardio tracker when it comes to calories burned. I understand and like the idea of having extra calories that I can have on a day that I've exercised (particularly when something unexpected pops up), but I rarely end up eating any of them simply because I don't think I've actually burned that many calories.

Machines in the gym seem to be more conservative in their calories burned claims, but I'm still weary.

I realize that the number of calories a person burns while performing an activity is hard to quantify, and what one person burns from running for an hour might not be what another person burns from doing the same activity. I know it's subjective, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any input about the cardio tracker. Do you feel like it's accurate? If you consume the extra calories, do you feel like you still lose weight?

Replies

• Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    For me it's been pretty accurate (now that I have my HRM to compare). I'm just not sure about my calories burned swimming... but I've been losing weight and eating most of my exercise calories back.
  • crobinson0923
    Options
    I haven't been a member for long, but today the treadmill said i burned 178 calories and when i logged it in here it said 184, so it wasn't a big difference. I usually eat half of what I burn, that way I still get the benefit of the exercise but I also fuel the workout. It also helps to have even more incentive to exercise =)
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    from various replies I've seen on the site over the last few months, I'd say it varies a lot from person to person. Some people have said their heart rate monitor reads less calories than MFP, but other people have said their hrm reads more than MFP. I think it has a lot to do with your height (which is not taken into account in generic charts) and your fitness level to begin with (also not taken into account). I'm 5' 1" and I walk WAY faster to get "3.5 mph" than my taller husband does. I'm getting a hrm for Christmas so I'll start putting in the calories it says instead of assuming that MFP's charts are accurate for me.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    off for me. waaay off. 400-600 calories off. an example. 1hr of walking MFP would estimate I'd burn 600-700 calories. my Polar HRM said I burn 900-1100. this was way back when I first started and was over 400+ lbs.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    After I got my HRM I discovered that neither MFP or machines in the gym were accurate for me. Both of them were wildly innacurate. They are based on averages so they will be different for most people.
  • rutkowsm
    rutkowsm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone! I should probably invest in a heart rate monitor to get a more accurate result. I've been convinced that eating back at least a few of these calories is a good idea.