Clothes for Curves

Options
I started dieting last year so I could lose weight in my chest... and gave up when I gained several cup sizes. I started again this fall, hoping last summer was a fluke and things would change. I've lost 1-2 pants sizes (depending on the brand), 2 inches in my waist and zip in my chest. The really frustrating thing is, the healthier I become, the more disproportionate I am, and the less anything fits. If it fits around my middle, it stretches in the chest and shows way too much cleavage. If it fits in the chest, it hangs around my middle like I'm trying to hide a baby bump, and in general makes me feel horrible and fat.

My most recent measurements are:
Hips: 38
Waist: 26
Chest: 40.
I'm a UK 30 GG

OK, so... My question is: Does anyone else have this problem and where do you buy clothes? One website I've found online is Pepperberry and I was wondering if anyone had experience with the fit/quality of their clothes. The shipping alone would be about 15 dollars which makes me reluctant to order without feedback from other people if it would actually help, and if there is a company in the US, that would be even better. I'm a broke college student, but I would be willing to buy 2-3 shirts that fit, as opposed to 10-12 that make me feel self conscious.

Thank you for your help

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    maybe your boobs will be the last to shrink?

for me it was the first, and i went from a G to a D and i'm not even half way done yet... don't give up hope!
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You need to become emotionally close to the best tailor in your town. You buy reg clothes (off the rack - that fit in the bust) and then have them taken in at the waist. This way you don't show too much of the upper body and they fit appropriately in the lower body.

It is worth the extra money to have clothes that make you feel good.
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    You need to become emotionally close to the best tailor in your town. You buy reg clothes (off the rack - that fit in the bust) and then have them taken in at the waist. This way you don't show too much of the upper body and they fit appropriately in the lower body.

I agree with this. ^ Think of the costs spent on tailoring as the cost you would spend on shipping! Buy the things you love and have them fitted accordingly. Good luck!
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I started dieting last year so I could lose weight in my chest... and gave up when I gained several cup sizes. I started again this fall, hoping last summer was a fluke and things would change. I've lost 1-2 pants sizes (depending on the brand), 2 inches in my waist and zip in my chest. The really frustrating thing is, the healthier I become, the more disproportionate I am, and the less anything fits. If it fits around my middle, it stretches in the chest and shows way too much cleavage. If it fits in the chest, it hangs around my middle like I'm trying to hide a baby bump, and in general makes me feel horrible and fat.

My most recent measurements are:
    Hips: 38
    Waist: 26
    Chest: 40.
    I'm a UK 30 GG

OK, so... My question is: Does anyone else have this problem and where do you buy clothes? One website I've found online is Pepperberry and I was wondering if anyone had experience with the fit/quality of their clothes. The shipping alone would be about 15 dollars which makes me reluctant to order without feedback from other people if it would actually help, and if there is a company in the US, that would be even better. I'm a broke college student, but I would be willing to buy 2-3 shirts that fit, as opposed to 10-12 that make me feel self conscious.

Thank you for your help

I'm a fully trained image consultant and I come across clients with this same dilema all the time. When we lose weight our bodies lose fat, but you will never change the overall shape of your frame, this you must remember. It sounds from your proportions that you are curvy & curvy. Meaning your top and bottom are both curvy rather than straight. To make you feel really good, this is the shape every woman aspires to and every man wants his woman to have!! You are, aesthetically, the perfect shape! :)

You now need to completely change the way you shop and shop for the shape you are now. Embrace the fabulous curves you have, and accentuate the small waist you've got. If you live in the UK, one of the best stores for your shape is Marks and Spencer, as they're trousers/jeans and tops are all made for the curvy woman. There are many others too.

One thing I would advise is to invest in the help of a stylist/image consultant. It will cost you about 100 for a proper 3-5 hour consultation at your home and wardrobe weed but you will end the session with a proper understanding of how to dress using the clothes you already have and need to shop for. Also, if you get on well doing that, book her as a personal shopper, it's priceless the help you will receive and knowledge you will gain from it all. Your confidence will soar!!

**also one other point. Because you are curvy the fabrics you wear should be able to hug the curves. Stiff fabrics such as cotton shirts cannot flow over curvy frames (which is why you are finding they don't fit properly) so chose fabrics that stretch, float and don't restrict your curves. If you want to wear a shirt, make it a stretchy fabric rather than a stiff one, you'll be so much more comfortable! :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Also belts for the tiniest bit of the waist are good!
  • kailey_watson
    kailey_watson Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm hoping to find a tailor to fix some of the dresses and shirts I already have so I can actually wear them.

Sassy75, I'm probably going to sound really ignorant, but how do you find a image consultant? It might be a great Christmas or birthday present to myself to actually get some wardrobe help once I've reached my weight goal.
  • retromomof2
    retromomof2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you go to google you will find a few listed in your area. You might have to search through them for the exact type you are looking for. With out knowing exactly where you are it is hard to see which one might be closest to you in the exact field. http://www.yellowpages.com/arlington-tx/image-consultants-personal
  • retromomof2
    retromomof2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Also, I too feel your pain. It is the story of my life. I get so frustrated with nothing ever fitting me. I have learned to sew and have started buying bigger and taking things in myself. If not, I go to a seamstress to have it done. I hit sales for things so it helps with some of the cost too.
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm hoping to find a tailor to fix some of the dresses and shirts I already have so I can actually wear them.

Sassy75, I'm probably going to sound really ignorant, but how do you find a image consultant? It might be a great Christmas or birthday present to myself to actually get some wardrobe help once I've reached my weight goal.

You might want to try the International Federation of Image Consultants - you want someone who is fully qualified. Also try Colour Me Beautiful, and House of Colour, both international companies. Or just do a search for personal shoppers or stylists. Good luck!!! :)