Who uses Scivation Xtend?

I have been using this product for a while now, and love it! It has certainly helped with muscle soreness and I love the lemon-lime flavor.

So, who else uses it??

The way my gym told me to use it was to put the two scoops in a two litre bottle and drink it before my exercise and then afterwards during the day. They also said it is good to just use it on non-exercise days too!! Hmm, I am not sure about that. Do others use in on non-exercise days?

It taste so good (in 2 litres, not 2 glasses like it tells you!), that I actually feel guilty about drinking it!! LOL

Replies

• PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Sorry to tell you, but you've wasted your money on a placebo.

Unless you're training fasted, there is no evidence that supplementing with BCAA's provide any additional benefit (assuming you're consuming adequate protein)

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/135/6/1591S.long

"Indeed, the majority of studies, using various exercise and treatment designs and several forms of administration of BCAAs (infusion, oral, and with and without carbohydrates), have failed to find a performance-enhancing effect"

"No valid scientific evidence supports the commercial claims that orally ingested BCAAs have an anticatabolic effect during and after exercise in humans or that BCAA supplements may accelerate the repair of muscle damage after exercise"

"Also, carbohydrate ingestion during exercise can prevent the increase in BCAA oxidation. BCAAs, therefore, do not seem to play a major role as a fuel during exercise, and from this point of view, the supplementation of BCAAs during exercise is unnecessary"

"Despite the lack of strong evidence for the efficacy of BCAA supplements, athletes continue to use them. However, normal food alternatives are available and are almost certainly cheaper. For example, a typical BCAA supplement sold in tablet form contains 100 mg valine, 50 mg isoleucine, and 100 mg leucine. A chicken breast (100 g) contains ∼470 mg valine, 375 g isoleucine, and 656 mg leucine, the equivalent of about 7 BCAA tablets. One quarter of a cup of peanuts (60 g) contains even more BCAA and is equivalent to 11 tablets."
  • Alloranx
    Alloranx Posts: 51 Member
    I use it, but like PB67 said, only when training fasted. Otherwise it's a waste. I know what you mean, though, about it tasting so good I kind of want some even when I'm not about to work out, LOL!
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    ok, so what does 'training fasted' means? Sorry for being naive.

Is it in my mind that I actually found my muscles to be less sore after a weights session when I started using this product?

One thing I don't like is sugar and having artificial sweeteners in my drink every day sort of irked me, but I thought it would be doing me more good than what that little bit of sweetener would be doing.

What should I be eating / drinking before a weights session to get the most out of it? I usually get a protien drink into me after a session. Should I be having a meal afterwards too, about 1 hr after or there abouts??
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    You'd be better off burning your money for heat then wasting it on extend...
  • MsMonny
    You'd be better off burning your money for heat then wasting it on extend...

?? - burning for heat?? Sorry, what do you mean? Do you mean thermogenic stuff?
  • Alloranx
    Alloranx Posts: 51 Member
    ok, so what does 'training fasted' means? Sorry for being naive.

Is it in my mind that I actually found my muscles to be less sore after a weights session when I started using this product?

Hey MsMonny,

Training fasted means what it sound like: training without having eaten anything in the last 8 or more hours. It's very unlikely that applies to you unless you're doing intermittent fasting, or you just normally work out right after you wake up in the morning before breakfast. If you want to know what IF is, see this thread for a lot of information:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/226488-intermittent-fasting-support-group

It's very long, about 30 pages now and in two threads, lol. But lots of good info.

It may or may not be in your mind that your muscles have been less sore. Could be placebo effect (which technically isn't all in your head), or it could be that your body is actually getting more used to training regularly and so it doesn't have as much muscle soreness as a result.
    What should I be eating / drinking before a weights session to get the most out of it? I usually get a protien drink into me after a session. Should I be having a meal afterwards too, about 1 hr after or there abouts??

Having some protein before a workout is a good idea. That's actually the rationale behind taking BCAA's while you're fasting, prior to a workout. This study shows that having some protein before actually increases your metabolic rate more for up to two days after your training compared with having carbs before working out:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19997003?dopt=Abstractplus

Other studies have shown that having protein before working out will make your muscles more apt to take up and use the protein you eat after your workout, presumably helping with recovery.

Bottom line: you don't need BCAA's unless you're training on a very empty stomach. You will get enough BCAA's through your normal protein sources. Just have a protein rich meal before you work out, and after as well (protein shake is fine).
  • MsMonny
    Wow, thanks Alloranx!! :bigsmile:

That is a wealth of info, and in laymans terms! Well, I guess I will finish my Xtend and not buy it again. I really can't see myself doing the fasting bit; I think I would be sick. I def have to have food in my body before I can do any exercise. So a couple of boiled eggs look like a good breakfast before I head off to the gym, hey??

I might check out that link, just out of curiosity though. :happy: