Muscle, calories, weights & cardio

So have I got this right?

It is a good idea to build muscle, as apart from the other benefits, muscle requires more calories than fat. Hence, just by existing, you burn more calories on a daily basis if you have more muscle. But to build muscle you need to be lifting weights and consuming a surplus of calories, so you need to be eating above your maintenance level.

My questions are these:

1. Why is anyone eating at maintenance or below advised to do strength training? Is it simply for toning?

2. Is it better to do lots of cardio until you are at your desired weight, then up the calorie intake to surplus and start weight training at that stage?

I'm sure this is all very obvious to a lot of you; apologies - it has taken me a while to get my head around it all.

Replies

• JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    I am by no means an expert- but from what I have read- strength training tones- strengthens the muscles you have so they work more efficiently and supposedly it will also help prevent, to some extent at least, loss of muscle while losing weight- not sure how true that last part is but it sounds nice at least
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 203 Member
    I am now in maintenance and and my strength training consists of resistance type exercises not weights. I did use weights to get to the level of tone I wanted and now I am able to maintain that with body weight/resistance exercises
    (i.e. Pilates/squats, lunges /rubberbands etc.).

So yes, I strength train to maintain muscle mass but not just to stay toned. The truth is I want to continue burning extra calories because I eat differently now. Real life comes with a trip to the state fair and I'm gonna try the latest Deep Fried whatever. And...I like my new toned body. I want to keep it!

While getting here I always did more cardio than strength and in the very beginning I only did cardio. Personally I wanted to lose some of the fat before I started to build muscle.

good luck!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    1) You can still get stronger on a deficit/maintenance even if your not gaining much muscle. Also, when you're on a deficit, you lose muscle as well as fat. Strength training helps to maintain the muscle you have / lower the amount you lose.

2) Cardio burns calories, you don't need it to lose weight but it helps, it gives you extra calories to eat as well if you're already losing through a food deficit :) It also keeps your fitness levels good, even if you're not trying to lose.
    You don't have to go into a surplus after at all, some people do, it depends how much muscle you want to gain. I started eating at a surplus around June. My weight from 4th July until now has gone up 9lbs. BF% says this is around 4lbs muscle, 5lbs fat which is about right. Don't expect more than 1lb a month muscle, women don't really gain much more than that naturally - it gets even less after the first year!
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    So have I got this right?

It is a good idea to build muscle, as apart from the other benefits, muscle requires more calories than fat. Hence, just by existing, you burn more calories on a daily basis if you have more muscle. But to build muscle you need to be lifting weights and consuming a surplus of calories, so you need to be eating above your maintenance level.

My questions are these:

1. Why is anyone eating at maintenance or below advised to do strength training? Is it simply for toning?

2. Is it better to do lots of cardio until you are at your desired weight, then up the calorie intake to surplus and start weight training at that stage?

I'm sure this is all very obvious to a lot of you; apologies - it has taken me a while to get my head around it all.

1. Burn Fat and Gain Muscle --- Lean. But I am already BULKY --- SO it really depends on your body and goals... Adding the muscle burns more calories. I eat 40% protein 40 carbs and 20 fat......Eating under my goal burns fat but eating so much protein and so less carbs --help me retain the muscle I do have....

2. This is what BODY for LIFE and LL cool J Platinum diet says to do. I have done both approaches and had success.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    1) You can still get stronger on a deficit/maintenance even if your not gaining much muscle. Also, when you're on a deficit, you lose muscle as well as fat. Strength training helps to maintain the muscle you have / lower the amount you lose.

2) Cardio burns calories, you don't need it to lose weight but it helps, it gives you extra calories to eat as well if you're already losing through a food deficit :) It also keeps your fitness levels good, even if you're not trying to lose.

^ This.