Yoga on holy days? Yes. (warning - mentions religion)

Options
This is about motivation through different channels. I am not trying to sell religion. This is how one group is trying to value the body as well as the spirit (emotion, mental heath, whatever you want to call it).

Our synagogue will offer Yoga on Saturdays. But - but - work out on the Sabbath? How can that be?

This group considers it a duty (a mitzvah) to take care of the body provided by the creator in addition to taking care of the mind by study. Yoga has always had religious connections, sometimes completely, sometimes just getting in touch with your own emotions. This group feels it can be integrated nicely into almost any belief set.

It is proposed the breathing and meditation helps move the mind into a peaceful state to enjoy the Sabbath, akin to many rituals in many religions. Yoga is also being considered a workout without obviously being a workout (did that make sense?)

It is a way to rest the body and mind from the weekly work and to nourish each. People who have participated in it state they feel more relaxed. And that is rather the point of a day of rest.

(The High Holy days are excluded. It would be like exercising on Easter or Ramadan or Beltaine; distracting from the intent of those days)

Replies

• newarkco05
    Options
    That is a great way to think about it :-)
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    sounds very interesting! wish my church recognized the importance of taking care of the body. seventh day adventists are hard core about eating well but when it comes to exercise noooope.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    That's progress!! While I am part of a "protestant" church, we don't have thsoe restrictions, BUT it's good that people are opening up! Jesus healed a man on the Sabbath, for which he was crucified, but he knew it was okay to do it. We are called to treat our bodies as temples. Scripture says to do everything for the Glory of God. Exercise included. So I say, ROCK ON!!