Using the Recipe Builder

Options
MrsFusion
MrsFusion Posts: 156 Member
Can someone please help me understand how to use it??? Last night I made homemade chili, I don't have a recipe, I just throw stuff together...

2.5 pds 85% ground beef
1 can dark red kidney beans
2 cans diced tomatoes
3 cans chili beans in sauce(mrs. grimes)
1 can tomato sauce
1/4 c. chili powder
1/4 c. cocoa powder
2 T molasses
1 T garlic powder
1 T basil
salt & pepper to taste

I don't know how many servings it makes? Can someone tell me how to add this?

Replies

• fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Well first you do need to know how many you want it to feed.... Then divide it up into those portions. Looks to me like 6-8 people but that could be my portion sizes. Then.... Enter each item in separately and MFP does the rest in figuring the calories!

And good luck with the 30DS! I started yesterday!
  • gettingstronger
    Options
    What I like to do is either estimate or actually measure out how many cups the recipe makes (or measure as you are adding the ingredients ie how many cups of beans ect). Then I make each cup a serving. My soup ladle is exactly 1 cup, so this makes figuring out my serving easy. Just eyeballing your recipe I would estimate 18-22 cups off chili.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Name it, figure out how many you want to serve, (for chili I use 1 cup = 1 serving)add each ingrediamt in andf let MFP do the math.
  • gettingstronger
    Options
    Sorry, I forgot. The reason I put a measurement as a serving size when ever possible is if you are making a huge pot of something, others don't always take the serving size you estimate. Say your husband takes 2 ish "servings, your daughter takes 1/2 to 2/3s "serving" and your son takes well more than one "serving". How do you know how much out of what's left is 1/6 or 1/8 of the original recipe?
  • MrsFusion
    MrsFusion Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I think I got it now. Gonna go try it :)