And most of all, I did it my way! SVs & NSVs.

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
If you're going to take anything away from what I'm about to write, let it be this: You don't have to make this harder than it already is. You don't have to feel deprived. You don't have to give up foods you like. If you're hungry all the time, you're doing it wrong.

I ran another 5k race yesterday, and while I didn’t win any awards (dammit!) I did beat my personal best by 30 seconds, coming in at 24:59! I’m absolutely thrilled with that, although I’m probably the only woman on the planet who is looking forward to turning 40. The top two women in today’s race were both in my 30-39 year age bracket, and if I was just a few months older, I’d have won a medal! It’s gonna be so nice being the youngest in my group instead of the oldest.

IMG_2470.jpg
Damn, but I'm pasty and white!!!

IMG_2473.jpg
Crossing the finish line!

I did come in third in my age group (but there were only awards to the top in each group), sixth of all females, and 20th overall, and that’s something to be proud of. And I was a good sport, kind of, sort of. In the last quarter mile of my race, I got passed by a 13 year old girl. I probably could have dug deeper and passed her right back again, but I knew I was going to be 5th or 6th place female either way (not a trophy) and she was definitely NOT in my age group to nudge me out of a medal. I didn’t have the heart to do the equivalent of saying, “Eat my 39 year old dust, kiddo!”

All that makes me happy, but you know what really, really makes me happy? What I really love? That I’m doing this MY way. I’m not a slave to the scale or any particular kind of diet. I eat what I want. I’ve surpassed my goal weight... originally 135, then 130, then I wanted to be 126# for my Halloween party last weekend, and weighed in at 125.5# the day before.

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

So I’m now just looking to maintain my weight, not lose any more, and took a week off from paying even the slightest attention to what I’ve been eating. We had a lot of leftover stromboli, meatballs, pasta salad, kabobs and chicken nuggets from the party to chow down, and i wasn't about to try to calculate the recipes on all that. Calories, schmalories. One week off isn't going to make that big of a difference, and anything I might gain will still keep me in my goal range. If I do gain, I know I can lose it again.

I hear the saying all the time, “Abs are made in the kitchen,” and people talk about how they’ve given up pizza, breads, pasta, cheese, fried foods, soda, alcohol.... YIKES! Where's the fun in that?! Yes, the people who say that do have spectacular, enviable abs. I'm not knocking them. They put in the work and are reaping the rewards. However, I may not have a six-pack, but my belly region is pretty damn smokin’ if I don’t say so myself, and I eat and drink all that stuff, regularly! That brings me joy. I'm a geeky artist and web publisher, not a fitness model or personal trainer. I can't think of any reason beyond bragging rights that I'd "need" a six-pack. My sense of sanity needs my weekly pizza more than my sense of self needs perfect abs. :wink:

IMG_2391.jpg
What also makes me happy? Getting this running outfit on clearance, plus having a $10 off coupon!

IMG_2376.jpg
Get yer tickets to the gun show!

That’s what’s made this whole fitness journey so much fun for me. I’ve never felt I had to give up anything. I’d rather work a little harder and be able to enjoy my pizza, than eat plain grilled chicken and kale. Bleah. I'm not even sure what kale is, but it looks like a weed I'd yank from my garden.

Wanna know my super-secret pre-race ritual? Friday night, my husband and I went out for Mexican food, where I had a chalupa, quesadilla, rice and loads of tortilla chips with salsa. Then I had two very large glasses of red wine before going to bed. I woke up and had two bowls of Booberry cereal with skim milk, and a zero calorie Rock Star lemonade energy drink. Talk about the Breakfast of Champions!

As a matter of fact, every time I’ve set a new personal record for myself, I’ve had a few alcoholic beverages the night before. I’m thinking of making it a tradition for all future races.

Yes, I eat healthy most of the time, and I really like a lot of foods that are good for me. But sometimes, you just gotta enjoy the moment. And two-thirds of a bottle of Blackberry Merlot. And maybe a handful of candy corn.

Would I be a better athlete or have a better body if I didn’t indulge? Possibly. But would I be this happy about it? No. Because I’m enjoying the journey every bit as much as the results. And the results are going from ~160# and a size 12 to about 125# and a size 2, from a guestimated (by measurements) 30% body fat to about 18.5%. And I never felt deprived or hungry. Except right now, because it's creeping up on lunch time and it took me longer than I thought to type all this out. :wink:

For the "how I got to this point" history, with before & after pics, check this blog post from a few months ago: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/how-i-did-it-timeline-with-photos-133754

Replies

• bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Amen! Thanks for sharing this. Why feel deprived and miserable when you can get these kind of results by eating the foods you love and enjoy yourself in the process, with fun activities.

I too have stepped away from the scale and eat what I want (working anything I like into my calories). I'm never giving up the goodies I enjoy - a life without pizza is not worth living. LOL! Even if I have to run an extra hour for it, it's worth it. I wouldn't want it any other way! I want this to be something I enjoy along the way. You obviously have -- good on ya!

You look marvelous! :)
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    <clapping>

I don't want to deprive myself for the rest of my life, or struggle with cravings and terror of regaining any ground I've lost. I log everything, even the craptacular stuff, and am accountable for it.

It's not a diet, it's LIFE.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!

I follow the same kind of lifestyle. I eat what I want, when I want it. This is the only life I have to live and I'll be darned if I'm gonna live it hungry, resentful or without Reese's Peanut Butter cups!

My original goal weight was 150lbs (down from a high weight of 203lbs) and now I'm maintaining between 143-146lbs. I have high days and I have low days. I do not obsess over those few pounds. I know what my body likes and I know what I'm doing - so a small gain here or there is usually a sign I haven't been drinking enough water or I've consumed too much caffeine. No worries.

Life is too short to not enjoy yourself! :)
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Love your story and the pics you posted! What an encouragement to know that weight loss can actually be enjoyable! I think more people need to realize this and there would be a much higher success rate. Way to go, you!!
  • BeanyFrog13
    BeanyFrog13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Wow you look amazing!! You're actually making me want to get back into running again lol, I find it SO hard, but you look so awesome it's got me thinking! :happy:

1397731.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You look great. I have given this some thought also. IF its really a lifestyle change rather then a diet I should be eating food I enjoy. Pizza, Red Meat, French Fries, Chips ect... I also don't mind pushing in the gym harder to eat what I want. I am currently pushing hard at the gym and not even coming close to my calories for the day so why not eat some fatty foods once and a while and enjoy life. thanks for posting
  • wildestian
    wildestian Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I loved every single word you wrote. Great attitude!
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207
    Options
    you are my MFP hero! I actually came to the conclusion the other day that If i don't drop any more lbs... I am ok with that. I am content with just running every chance I get and eating what I like in moderation. I am happy with how I look, and i FEEL tons better, physically and emotionally. Its nice to not starve myself or only eat veggies and "health: food. Don't get me wrong, I love veggies and "health" food...but I also love cheese cake and cheese poofs.

It all comes down to find your happy place and I think I have found it finally with running. 10 years ago the thought of running was torture. Now its my "happy place" All negative thoughts and troubles go out the window and for those 30-60 mins when I am running...I am just in a peaceful zen like state.

So if it wasn't for you running and making strides and completing goals...I don't think I would have started running either. Or did a warrior dash. Or enter into any of these 5k's i have been doing. so THANK YOU for being an inspiration!
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Freakin' awesome!!! I also read your blog too. . . amazing!! Total inspiration!!! Not to mention, I love your writing style :D

I cannot wait to get to the point where I look better now, than I did in high school.

Way to go, chicky, you totally rocked it, pizza in hand!!! Woot!
  • provokinjealousy
    Options
    i always look at all the people in my gym running or run on the tread mill . i will get there one day real soon.
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    <clapping>

I don't want to deprive myself for the rest of my life, or struggle with cravings and terror of regaining any ground I've lost. I log everything, even the craptacular stuff, and am accountable for it.

It's not a diet, it's LIFE.

AMEN! :happy:

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    wow! you look amazing!! way to go =D
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Would I be a better athlete or have a better body if I didn’t indulge? Possibly. But would I be this happy about it? No. Because I’m enjoying the journey every bit as much as the results. And the results are going from ~160# and a size 12 to about 125# and a size 2, from a guestimated (by measurements) 30% body fat to about 18.5%. And I never felt deprived or hungry. Except right now, because it's creeping up on lunch time and it took me longer than I thought to type all this out. :wink:
    YOU ARE AMAZING!! I totally agree, and often tell people to be happy and not deprive themselves. My favourite phrase: "This isn't about starving yourself." Thanks for sharing all of this! I can't put into words how amazed and honored I am to have you as a friend on this journey. Your enthusiasm and positivity are absolutely contagious! Thanks so much for reminding me about how great life can be based on the choices that we make, and our view of things. :flowerforyou: :smooched:
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I love you! Just sayin'! =) Great great great success story, love the pictures, and you look AMAZING. :flowerforyou:
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Without getting all mushy, you have been quite an inspiration to me, Lorina. You're SO right, it's not about deprivation, it's about a sustainable change in diet.
    I happen to enjoy broiled chicken and greens (or weeds, however you look at it), but I also eat chocolate, pizza and last night I had a giant bowl of chicken and Bisquick dumplings, one of my favorite things. All of it totally legal. I have been at this since June and have not had ONE single day where I've been hungry or where I've gone over my 500 calorie deficit.
    Is it really this simple? It apparently is because I am 25 lbs lighter and counting. I don't know if I'll ever have abs like yours, but if I do, you can be damn sure I'm gonna post photos!

I have you to thank for this. *smooch*
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I always love hearing about your journey. You're a great role model, even in all that fur. :wink: 40 is looking pretty good!
  • mishamae
    mishamae Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I loved reading your story and am now in the middle of reading it on your blog. I had to take a moment and comment to say you are awesome! I love your attitude and humor :D Congrats on all your hard work, you look amazing!
  • CarissaNew
    CarissaNew Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love your attitude and everything you posted! I have been doing to same thing! You are an inspiration and look great!
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Great post.....you kick *kitten* ...& I agree it's okay to indulge every once in a while...I know I do with wine & alcohol...lol...you look amazing & your abs look great...I'm still a work in progress on mine ..but I will get there...you're def' an inspiration Lorina
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    :heart: *smooches!* :heart:

I don't know if I'm going to do any more races this fall. Money is tight and my dresser drawers can't fit any more race t-shirts.

But my plan of attack over the next few months is to repeat the Couch to 5k plan on the dreadmill when the weather turns bad, but instead of doing walk - run intervals, I'm going to do normal run - sprint intervals. And fartlek when I'm able to run outside. I'm already moving pretty fast during my races, averaging close to 7.5mph, but it feels like a steady jog, not a full out run. A shuffle.

♪ ♫ Yes, everyday I'm shuffling! ♪ ♫

I see the people who are in the lead during races when we reach the turn around. They're not shuffling. They're sprinting, and sprinting the entire distance. I only run like that when I'm trying to cross the street and a bus is heading at me. But if I could go from not being able to jog one city block at 5mph to running a 5k at 7.5mph or a 10k at 7mph, I can increase my endurance to be able to sprint a 5k. And if I can go my "OMG... I'm going to get SQUISHED!" pace the whole distance, I will kick *kitten* this Spring!!! :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!