Do I burn a lot of calories just by working?

Options
Do I burn a lot of calories by working at fast food restaurant? I walk around, clean,lift stuff and do what fast food worker would do for 6-7 hours.. (I do not eat their food)

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Change your settings to "lightly active" instead of sedentary.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you should factor that in your activity level in your diary and fitness profile. personally i'd list it as lightly active, because you do get use to the labor and movements.

only log work outs when you actually go to the gym or outside and actually work out.
  • sschoolfield
    Options
    You do burn calories just by working, however I consider those calories to be burned as part of my normal lifestyle and do not count them as exercise calories. I only count exercise calories as those activities that are out of the ordinary for my lifestyle. For example I took my niece and nephew to my company picnic yesterday. It is a carnival atmosphere and covered a lot of ground. I spent 4 hours walking around and playing games etc, I counted it as one hour of walking at a leisurely pace. My reasoning for that is though this was out of the norm for me, I would have been doing something else if not this. My estimation was that the part that was beyond the ordinary for me would be equivilant to about one hour of walking. Everyone is different so what works for one does not work for everyone else. I am sure you will get tons of opinions on this. Take the ones that make the most sense to you and try them until you hit on what works for your body. Good luck.
  • fitness_woman
    Options
    I guess it's just a part of daily activities then.
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I work part time at Sears. I do a lot of walking, or should I say pacing back and forth. I don't count that in my exercise, though. I look at it as those stolen tastes of the kids food, licking the spoon, etc that I may not jot down in my food diary.

I agree with the others though, if you are doing this for 8 hour shifts, change your activity level. Have you thought about wearing a pedometer to see how many steps you are taking in a day? I just found mine & can't wait to go back to work tomorrow to see how many steps I actually take in a 4 hour shift.
  • fitness_woman
    Options
    I work part time at Sears. I do a lot of walking, or should I say pacing back and forth. I don't count that in my exercise, though. I look at it as those stolen tastes of the kids food, licking the spoon, etc that I may not jot down in my food diary.

I agree with the others though, if you are doing this for 8 hour shifts, change your activity level. Have you thought about wearing a pedometer to see how many steps you are taking in a day? I just found mine & can't wait to go back to work tomorrow to see how many steps I actually take in a 4 hour shift.

yeah that's a good idea, I might try that thanks!
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options

Good thought! I dont count my work calories too. Your BMR calculator does it for you and this kind of calorie loss really does not count!!