Study: High-Fat Diet May Make You Stupid & Lazy

Options
sunkisses
sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
I was going through some old favorites and found this in there, so it's not "new" anymore.

Read at least half the article before you comment, please.

By now, we've all heard that high-fat diets are bad for our health in the long run. But what about the short-term?

A new study on rats finds that 10 days of eating a high-fat diet caused short-term memory loss and made exercise difficult. While the finding may not seem a big surprise, the researcher say it might suggest that high-fat diets make humans lazy and stupid.

"Western diets are typically high in fat and are associated with long-term complications, such as obesity, diabetes, and heart failure, yet the short-term consequences of such diets have been given relatively little attention," said Andrew Murray, co-author of the study and currently at the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom. "We hope that the findings of our study will help people to think seriously about reducing the fat content of their daily food intake to the immediate benefit of their general health, well-being, and alertness."

The other half can be found here:
http://www.livescience.com/5635-high-fat-diet-stupid-lazy.html

Replies

• PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    A new study on rats

Stopped reading right there.

You are not a rat.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what fats you or they are talking about !
  • sunkisses
    Options
    A new study on rats

You are not a rat.
    Thank you for your contribution.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    A new study on rats

You are not a rat.

ditto
  • sunkisses
    Options
    I think it depends on what fats you or they are talking about !
    I did not do a study. "They" are referring to a diet such as french fries, pizza, etc. as mentioned in the article.
  • sunkisses
    Options
    A new study on rats

You are not a rat.

ditto

And this would be why I requested that you read half before responding. Way to follow directions and derail a discussion! "Dur I stopped reading after the first sentence and now I'm going to inform you of that fact and that I don't want to discuss it."
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    "Western diets are typically high in fat and are associated with long-term complications, such as obesity, diabetes, and heart failure..."

Ummm no.

Excess calories and sitting on the couch and no exercise contribute to those complications.

And yes I read the whole thing.

And yes it's ridiculous.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    A new study on rats

You are not a rat.

ditto

And this would be why I requested that you read half before responding. Way to follow directions and derail a discussion! "Dur I stopped reading after the first sentence and now I'm going to inform you of that fact and that I don't want to discuss it."
    thats the risk you take by posting
  • sunkisses
    Options
    A new study on rats

You are not a rat.

ditto

thats the risk you take by posting
    After a thousand+ posts I'm aware of the risks. Thanks for all of your amazingly insightful contribution to a discussion. I will remember not to ask the geniuses of MFP to read again.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    A new study on rats

You are not a rat.

ditto

And this would be why people are constantly posting "If you don't want to hear people's opinions, don't post on a open forum." I read everything you posted here, and I agree with them. We are not rats.

Having said that, since there are also posts on here all the time about how sluggish people feel after just a day or two of high fat, high calorie diets, I wouldn't totally diregard this information in my own life.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    the researcher say it might suggest that high-fat diets make humans lazy and stupid.
    And you are surprised some people will stop at 'rat'? Oh wait, I am sure you are not surprised.
  • AmyPearshape
    AmyPearshape Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    We are not rats, but we are mammals. I think it was an interesting article. Thanks for sharing it.
  • tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    people kill me!

I only read the half that you posted, but it is not surprising that a high fat diet can do that!
  • sunkisses
    Options
    kim-jong-il-team-america-world-police-singing.jpg
  • NoDairy
    NoDairy Posts: 88
    Options
    Rats or no rats, basically junk food is bad for any species, animal products also no good, , Truly low fat are natural grown fruits and veggies, and thats what we need to eat to survive and live without medical and drug needs. But i know u know that.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the link to the actual study but I follow a blog written by a psychiatrist who examined either this study or a similar one. They use standard rat chow- not a natural diet for rats whether high fat or low fat. What effect does that have on mental and physical performance? That's one variable, second, different fats do different things in the body. Which fat did they use? Would a different fat have a similar or different effect? That's the problem with some of these studies (aside from the fact that they are rat studies)- there's really more variables involved than they claim to be controlling against.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Why should anyone read beyond the word rat?

The rest of the article was simply stating the conclusions they drew. But rat studies are not directly applicable to humans, so why would it make sense to consider anything the article said once you learn that it was a rat study?
  • sunkisses
    Options
    the researcher say it might suggest that high-fat diets make humans lazy and stupid.
    And you are surprised some people will stop at 'rat'? Oh wait, I am sure you are not surprised.
    Not at all. LOL I'm surprised they're willing to fckin admit it in writing.
  • sunkisses
    Options

Uhhh... because in order to have a discussion about the article - you should read it. But you're not interested in having a discussion about the article. You're interested in derailing a discussion you have nothing to contribute to.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Uhhh... because in order to have a discussion about the article - you should read it. But you're not interested in having a discussion about the article. You're interested in derailing a discussion you have nothing to contribute to.

But there isn't a point in discussing it if it has nothing to do with humans. Did I miss something here? Why would anyone that is interested in losing weight or have good health and fitness read an article about a rat?
This discussion has been closed.