Suggest home gym equipment please

Options
My husband and I want to get a piece of gym equipment for home use. We're torn between an elliptical cross trainer (my favourite option now I think, but not sure how much hubby would use it), a treadmill (this was my initial favourite idea but I'm not sure it's the best for both of us), or a weights machine (this would be my husband's favourite idea as he'd be into lifting weights, not sure how much I would use it).

A bench and free weights isn't an option as we have a 4yo and the risk of him pulling something down on himself isn't something we will consider.

Ideally we'd probably have an elliptical and a weights machine, but we don't have the space, so it's one or the other.

What would you recommend?

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Having owned all three I can say that weight machines don't get used much.
    Treadmills and ellipticals are great.
    I don't know why your husband would use a tradmill, but not an elliptical. Have him try one with the settings adjusted. if you get on one when they aren't set right, you hate them, so have him try it again.
  • RuthieMac05
    Options
    Not new to MFP, got off course but came back this week. Getting a fresh start. :0)

My husband and I have a treadmill and elliptical. We both use the elliptical so much that the treadmill just sits. We have been thinking about selling our treadmill. It's so big and they are kinda loud. I couldn't move the treadmill by myself no matter how hard i tried. The ellipticals are nice bc they are pretty much silent and easy to move around. Plus waaaaaay easier on your joints. My husband has knee issues so it works great for him.
  • limismith
    limismith Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I say treatmill or elliptical all the way for 2 reasons. One, you can be pretty unmotivated and just set it for a time and resistance and just space out in front of the tv. And 2, you can do tons of things with free weights or just using your own body at home. You can't walk circles around your livingroom, though.

And if you are nervous about your kiddo and the free weight situation, just line them up on the floor against the wall, or put them in a cupboard or shelf that closes.

So my vote is for treadmill. But I am a girl..... so I might have that stereotypical girl mentality about it....
  • Geordie_Girl
    Geordie_Girl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

OK, second question, is a standard elliptical better than a 2-in-1 elliptical and exercise bike?
  • Freax
    Freax Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the elliptical is the BEST choice anyone can make. I have one and I don't regret having it. Go for the elliptical! :) I wish you and your husband the best of luck on your journey. ^_^