Can you gain weight by overindulging for a day or two?

Options
I'm craving for burrito,sushi and pizza! I haven't had any yet in a while because I have a wedding to go to in less than 3 weeks! After that I already planned to get those foods + brownies. After that I will get back on track. i have took a break on my diet for 1 week and ate whatever I wanted without any exercise, then I got back to it and now my I'm satisfied with my body, but I'm getting scared again because I will indulge a lot after the wedding. What would be a good idea? I feel like I've been missing out on food that I love for so long. What should I do?

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    you should have 1 treat a day and build it into your plan. You can splurge on 600-800 calories and NOT ruin a day! Be a bit more active and then plan something tasty for the next day. You don't need them all at once and you don't have to give them up completely. Good luck!
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    as you are counting calories there is no need to go without anything at all
    everything in moderation
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    girl, just enjoy it but dont overindulge...when you dont eat the things you want, you want them more and then you binge...just enjoy them in moderation...keep within your calorie goals, and if you go a little over, oh well...exercise extra five minutes here, five minutes there...dont let this stop you from enjoying yourself...food is meant to enjoy...its not our enemy...WE are our enemy :) do imake sense? i sound like im babbling
  • ngcgurl03
    ngcgurl03 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    if you want foods you love watch your portion size. but do not eat too much just think about your calorie intake. how much it will effect you.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I would spread it out over time, I wouldn't eat everything all at once. I'd add one thing to your food intake each day and exercise a little bit extra if necessary to compensate for the extra calories. Depriving yourself is an almost certain way to fall off the wagon. Treating yourself now and then is ok. :)
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    If you know you are already going to eat these foods what's stopping you from planning for it? You don't have to eat them all at once, do you? Say you wanted the pizza and it's gonna cost you 500 extra calories. Why don't you exercise and burn enough calories to let yourself eat that pizza without going over your daily calories. None of us are perfect and there are foods that we will crave and will continue to eat, that's just life. Set yourself up for success instead of crossing your fingers and hoping it won't catch up with you in the end.
  • EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You don't need them all at once and you don't have to give them up completely. Good luck!

I agree with this! A lot of times, you can find healthier options of the foods you love at restaraunts, or better yet, you can make them at home. If what you're craving is a specific dish from your favorite place, then look up the nutrition info before you go out and plan for it ahead of time. The great thing about viewing this as a lifestyle change instead of a diet is that you don't have to give up ANYTHING! Just fit your old faves into a healthier way of living. :) Good luck!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with eating those things. whats wrong is over eating. make portion control a real part of your life. hell, i had two hamburger and some chips and salsa for lunch. but i was able to control myself, and not eat the whole bag of chips.
  • fitness_woman
    Options
    I'm afraid that I will lose control when I do have my cheat meal. I want brownies ahhh =(
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    At least one day mostly every week, I go over my calories by several hundred and it hasn't made any big difference in my weight.
  • fitness_woman
    Options
    I can't wait for sushi buffet that I planned with my friends! sigh*
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid that I will lose control when I do have my cheat meal. I want brownies ahhh =(

Make brownie cupcakes and keep 2 out for yourself and quickly freeze the rest. :) It works... trust me :)
  • bonogul
    bonogul Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    yes and no. Yes because you will take in those calories, but more importantly the salt and the solutes in the food will hold a lot of water weight.... so by indulging one day, you will gain weight and loose 90% of the weight you gained within 3 days.
  • JMYGA
    JMYGA Posts: 26
    Options
    Don't beat hell out of yourself. I found that when I have overindulged for a couple of days, any gain falls right off just as quickly as it came on once I get back on track. Besides....good to fake your body out...or so I've heard.
  • fitness_woman
    Options
    I'll just make sure to get back on exercise and healthy eating..Can't wait for the holidays!
  • fitness_woman
    Options
    thank you very much, makes me feel better I just need to motivate myself and after 2 weeks I can reward myself for the hardwork that I put for months I've been healthy eating and exercising. (I've fallen off the wagon couple of times, but I'm glad I got back to it)
  • lyddsmom
    Options
    Yes you can gain weight if you overindulge for a day or two, but a day or two won't put you back to the beginning, maybe just a pound or two. I suggest avoiding the "over" indulgence and just allow an occasional small indulgence. What has worked for me is to allow those things in occasionally, but still stay in my allotted calorie range. I can't be in diet mode or I break down and stuff my face. I allow myself to have a "treat" or a usually prohibited food if, and only if, I feel it will be worth it. If it is something I really enjoy and love, I have it. If it is just something available in the break room, but not one of my favorites, I pass.

A burrito is not completely bad because it does have lots of protein and fiber. Sushi has lots of protein and pizza, if you keep it to one piece, would not do you in either. Don't let yourself get to the point of wanting to over indulge. Let yourself indulge a little occasionally so you don't feel deprived. When you deprive yourself, you are setting yourself up for failure. And have a brownie, one brownie. Just keep it to one and not five.

I have worried about this same thing before and have found that allowing for small indulgences throughout works better than giving in to a huge binge because I have deprived myself for too long. After all, once I reach my goal, I will still have to continue with my healthy eating habits. If I go back to the way I used to eat, I'll gain back all the weight and have to go back to square one.
  • Bumaquad
    Options
    It is tough at first! When I first started with myfitnesspal I ate healthy all week then on Sunday I ate whatever I wanted. Then I got used to eating less calories, smaller portions, less sugar, etc...now I don't crave it as much. I also don't use Sunday as a binge day anymore, now I just eat a goodie here and there and have found I eat smaller portions. I just don't want the large amounts anymore. The weight is coming off slowly, but it's coming off.
  • fitness_woman
    Options
    You're right, I just need to learn how to balance. Would it be okay for me to eat the whole burrito once a week? (just making sure)
  • fitness_woman
    Options
    What is your favorite meal on Sundays? Can't believe I am depriving myself =( need a buffet after this!