Full but hungry

Does any one else constantly battle this? It's getting ridiculous. I drink 2 litres of water a day but still constantly find I am hungry even when I feel full. Even drink big glasses of water after eating doesn't help. I eat a very varied diet, low as possible in salt (I don't like the taste of salt). I rarely eat processed foods. I'd open up my diary but I haven't been tracking for a while. Any ideas? Have I just been eating so badly that I can no longer tell when I'm not hungry any more AKA screwed.

Replies

• wifeyy
    wifeyy Posts: 481 Member
    Does this happen often of just sometimes?
  • Try to eat foods higher in fiber, that will help you out alot with hunger.
  • RomesMommy
    RomesMommy Posts: 4 Member
    This happens to me when i'm at home or when my mind isnt occupied. Maybe try distracting yourself by doing something else and make sure its taking you about 20 minutes to eat each meal.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    If you are accustomed to having large meals then yes, it will feel like this at first no matter what your meals consist of (even high protein, high fibre, lots of water although those things will help). The good news is that your body should actually adapt reasonably quickly. It may be worth starting with a modest calorie restriction, even if it is above your maintenance calories, I'm talking a restriction on what you would usually eat, then working your way toward your goal calorie restriction.
  • GkMusic
    GkMusic Posts: 110 Member
    This happens to me when i'm at home or when my mind isnt occupied. Maybe try distracting yourself by doing something else and make sure its taking you about 20 minutes to eat each meal.

I completely agree with this. The busier I keep myself....even if it is something I enjoy like reading a book, the better.
  • I try to psyche myself out when I feel really hungry and know I have eaten enough. I ask myself, Is my stomach hungry or just my mouth(or mind). Sometimes I can talk myself out of the craving.
  • Mennassey
    Mennassey Posts: 27 Member
    Hey Full but hungry,

First of all I want to tell you I been there. I was there when I was eating "diet food". I describe "diet food" as food that was good for me, but wasn't good to me :/ I am a person who ate out everyday of the week, not getting any type of nutrition, but I loved the taste. When I began my journey a week ago, I decided that I had to find food that not only satisfied my stomach, but my taste as well. Putting nutrition and taste together helps. My previous attempts at a lifestyle change were learning experiences, where I would eat all of this healthy bland food, and I would no longer feel like I needed food, but I would still be up for a burger, or fries. Only it wasn't hunger that was getting me, even though I thought it was, it was my taste buds that were screaming "DID YOU FORGET ABOUT ME?" Once you get food that tastes good, and of course has good nutritional value, you should be set. Try eating a breakfast in the morning that is high in protein and fiber, especially fiber. The fiber will help your hunger issue. Remember though, dont make yourself full. Eat until your satisfied, this is a lesson I am still learning :)
    P.S. My almost everyday breakfast is Kashi GoLean Crunch Honey Almond Flax, I have one serving, dry, and it has a pretty good amount of fiber and protein.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Thanks for all the ideas, I'll see what I can do about upping fibre. I'm not sure what to do about that because I only eat whole wheat bread/pasta etc... and lots and lots of veg.

Just to note I don't do 'diet food' or 'low fat'. I prefer portion control because it means I'm putting less processed food in my body.
    Speaking of processed food I generally tend to make everything myself. I rarely buy things out of packets. I'm definitely getting more than my five a day. However I might start taking vitamins and see if that helps.

It's also been going on for as long as I can remember. I am rarely so full after a meal that I'm not hungry any more. In fact the only time I can think of is after a week that I spent on holiday where we ate out every single meal. I was just full for about three days after. I probably ate about three weeks worth of calories in a week.
  • yeahthatpaula
    yeahthatpaula Posts: 29 Member
    Try to eat foods higher in fiber, that will help you out alot with hunger.

I'd add protein to the mix. I find I'm ravenous if I don't get the right amount of protein.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Your'e not alone..in my heyday when i would do serious cardio, I'd be starving after eating my quota of calories.

If I was still hungry, then hell with the quota, i would eat something sensible and filling.

I found ''slow release'' foods like oats, soups etc helped a lot in keeping me feel ''fuller'' for longer.
  • Shellitz
    Shellitz Posts: 188
    Are you confusing hungry with unsatisfied? That happens to me a lot...some days (normally hormonal days) I can eat until I feel like it's going to split my skin, but I'm still on the hunt for something else...

Sounds stupid, but sometimes if I brush my teeth that feeling goes away.