This is why mom said to drink your milk!

Options
I found this interesting. Thought others might as well. :smile:

From http://www.vitamins-nutrition.org/vitamins/calcium.html

Here are five important but little-known ways that getting more calcium can improve your health:

Calcium helps keep the weight off. Research suggests that if you don't get enough calcium in your diet, you're likely to be overweight. Of course, it's possible to be overweight even if you do get plenty of calcium, but an adequate supply of Calcium appears to make it easier to maintain a healthy weight. The reason has to do with your body's response to a calcium deficit. When you're low, your body thinks you're starving and enters emergency mode, releasing parathyroid hormone from four glands in your neck. This hormone stimulates your bones to release some calcium into your bloodstream. Your kidneys also deliver a dose of a hormone called calcitriol, a form of vitamin D, to increase your ability to absorb calcium. This helps keep the body in balance, but is operating the body in an emergency mode, which over time, is very unhealthy.

The trouble is that parathyroid hormone and calcitriol also stimulate the production of fat and inhibits its breakdown. As a result, your body stores fat and holds on to it stubbornly, even if you're on a low-calorie diet. On the other hand, a high calcium intake suppresses these hormones so your body stores less fat and also breaks it down far more easily.

Calcium also protects your heart. If you're low on calcium, you're more likely to have high blood pressure. Your body releases the hormone calcitriol in response to a calcium shortage, and calcitriol acts on the smooth muscle walls of your arteries, constricting them and elevating your blood pressure. In fact, your calcium intake may be almost as important to blood pressure as your sodium intake. An adequate supply of calcium helps muscles, including your heart muscle, do their work of contracting and relaxing. Calcium also appears to help your nervous system regulate the level of pressure in your arteries.

Calcium improves premenstrual moods. Getting enough calcium can ease the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). The explanation comes down (again) to calcium-regulating hormones. Your body suppresses the hormones if your calcium supplies are adequate, but releases these hormones if you're not getting enough. Women who suffer from PMS appear to have elevated levels of these hormones during their menstrual cycle, which account for the symptoms of PMS, like cramping, irritability, and depression, are similar to the symptoms of a calcium-deficient state.

Calcium protects against colon cancer. Adequate calcium intake may reduce your overall risk of colon cancer and suppress the growth of polyps that can lead to cancer. Researchers don't know exactly why this happens, but it may be linked to the excess calcium that's left in your intestines after your body absorbs what it needs. On its way through the colon, this unabsorbed calcium is believed to bind with cancer promoters so they're excreted together from the body. Studies have shown that both food sources of calcium and calcium supplements provide this protective effect. Calcium supplements should be taken in liquid form because liquid vitamins absorb 5 times better then do pill forms.

Calcium maintains healthy teeth. Calcium protects your teeth in an indirect way. Your teeth themselves are relatively inert, meaning that the calcium they contain usually stays there. Your jawbone is the potential problem. Like other bones, it gradually surrenders calcium for needs elsewhere in your body if you're not consuming enough. As your jaw weakens, your teeth loosen, creating gaps where bacteria can invade, triggering infection, inflammation, and bleeding. In fact, the condition of your teeth and gums can be a window to the overall health of your bones. Not surprisingly, the first signs of osteoporosis are sometimes found by your dentist.

Replies

• SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :-D

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Calcium is great. Dairy - not so much.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I hate milk, but if this is really true, I'll suffer through it.
  • mindlemoo
    Options
    I have dairy issues... I can do things like cheese and sometimes yogurt and it's not too horrible if I have cereal as long as I don't drink the milk that's left over. Icecream in small amounts isn't bad either. But, heavy creams used for mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, some icecream and stuff like that, just about kills me. Or if I drink straight milk or have too many of the "sometimes ok" items in the same day... Other than taking a calcium pill every day, how else can I get the calcuim I need?
  • thinnerjenn
    thinnerjenn Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Agreed. There are better sources of calcium than milk.
  • sara709
    sara709 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm all for calcium! .. but I'm allergic to dairy. womp, womp.
  • thinnerjenn
    thinnerjenn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have dairy issues... I can do things like cheese and sometimes yogurt and it's not too horrible if I have cereal as long as I don't drink the milk that's left over. Icecream in small amounts isn't bad either. But, heavy creams used for mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, some icecream and stuff like that, just about kills me. Or if I drink straight milk or have too many of the "sometimes ok" items in the same day... Other than taking a calcium pill every day, how else can I get the calcuim I need?

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/12-vegetables-high-in-calcium.html

Personally, I dont do soybeans or molasses, but some of the other suggestions are great.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    exactly. farce of the century by the dairy industry to equate milk with calcium.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-calcium.php

You don't need dairy... (I am not anti-dairy but I know it's not essential to our diet)
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

Humans are the only species that actually drink milk after they are weaned. If you do a little research you'll find that dairy is really not that good for you aside from calcium and vitamin D that they add to it. Dairy, particularly the lactose, can cause digestion problems, complexion problems, hair problems, weight retention/gain, etc...

Certain veggies are MUCH higher in calcium, are a lot better for you, and then you don't have to suffer through milk! I think spinach might have been one of the ones my trainer told me was SUPER high in calcium...
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Calcium, which is what you're talking about, it fantastic.

Dairy isn't all that fantastic. There are plenty of HEALTHIER ways to get calcium in your diet. Broccoli, kale, spinach, oranges, tofu, peanuts, peas, black beans, baked beans, salmon, sardines, sesame seeds, blackstrap molasses, corn tortillas, almonds, brown sugar ... Yeah, don't feel like you have to drink milk in order to get calcium.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Humans are the only species that actually drink milk after they are weaned. If you do a little research you'll find that dairy is really not that good for you aside from calcium and vitamin D that they add to it. Dairy, particularly the lactose, can cause digestion problems, complexion problems, hair problems, weight retention/gain, etc...

Certain veggies are MUCH higher in calcium, are a lot better for you, and then you don't have to suffer through milk! I think spinach might have been one of the ones my trainer told me was SUPER high in calcium...

Preach it.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Milk......it does the body good.
  • ilookthetype
    Options
    Milk......it does the body good.

Not my body :-(
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Calcium in vegetables is not always easily accessible by the body. Dairy is an incredibly nutrient dense food. Definitely my favourite food in terms of nutrition (from a dietitian perspective) although sadly, not my favourite food to eat. Of course you could get the same nutrition elsewhere but it wouldn't be nearly as easy.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'm scared of heights, turkeys, Justin Bieber, spiders, all bugs that jump, persistent gray hair, not meeting deadlines, and lawn mowers without rock guards...... just sayin'
  • complete_tease
    complete_tease Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm scared of heights, turkeys, Justin Bieber, spiders, all bugs that jump, persistent gray hair, not meeting deadlines, and lawn mowers without rock guards...... just sayin'

I too am afraid of spiders and justin bieber. And bieber followers.
  • ilookthetype
    Options

I too am afraid of spiders and justin bieber. And bieber followers.

Beliebers as Ted calls them.

They probably drink too much milk...
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Agreed. There are better sources of calcium than milk.

Yes, there are. You don't have to drink milk to get the calcium your body needs! That being said, getting enough calcium is very important, as we all know!
  • ZumbaLin
    ZumbaLin Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is interesting!!!! Best of luck as you continue on your journey to a thinner and healthier YOU!!!