going away on vacation

Options
Hi all, I'm a Canadian heading to Ireland this Thursday for a couple of weeks of vacation and visiting my friend. I don't know how to handle my calories and such while i am gone. A part of me says it's a vacation so don't count and don't worry....but that kind of thinking is what got me to the state i am in. I will have my computer with me so i can be on MFP. I know i will get lots of exercise cause we will walk around the sights and shopping. how would you handle yourself?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    it's a vacation so don't count and don't worry

Unless you are losing weight with a deadline or for medical reasons (like you're about to drop dead), then I would go with your instinct on this. It's vacation, you go and have fun and when you get back, MFP will still be here.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree with Sidesteal.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above! :)
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Since you're going to be away for a few weeks (rather than just a few days), be mindful of what you're eating, and log it if you want to. But also remember that it is vacation, and don't pass up opportunities to try food or drinks or social situations just because you're afraid of calorie count. Especially if you're doing a lot of walking and sight-seeing, your calories shouldn't be too much of a worry unless you're REALLY going over. Chances are, especially since you're on MFP, you'll know which choices are healthier (even if marginally so), and you're aware of your body and health now, so you will naturally make better decisions.
    And most importantly, have an awesome time!!
  • tinkerbella01
    Options
    I would enjoy my self as much as possible. That said I'd probably log as much as I could too, just to keep track of things, but I wouldn't worry about going over my net calories.

Enjoy yourself, have a safe and wonderful trip! :happy:
  • Babzl1957
    Babzl1957 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Its strange but I always found myself automatically choosing as close to the things I would normally have on my diet. Yes have a blow out a couple of times when you have no other choice, but don't feel guilty. Treat each day as a new day and when you get home make up your mind that the diet starts today. I have twice gone away and was so worried I would be "too naughty" that I actually lost weight lol! Whatever your weekness, ie white bread,sugar etc choose the alternative but don't go without! xx

Enjoy your holiday
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    You'd have to eat an insanely amount of calories every day to throw yourself way off track. Not that it can't be done, but when you're gone for that length of time even over indulging gets old.

If you're going to see a friend, I'm guessing you're going to be staying at his/her home which means you can have control over what you eat or what you splurge your calories on. Choose wisely. Save the splurge calories for going out.

Walk as much as you can - sightseeing, getting up earlier before your friend to get your walk in, etc. That will help.

Drink water as your drink of choice ... well, of course, unless beer is served - then take one for the team. :smile:

You're on vacation. How often do you get there? If it's not too often, then enjoy all of Ireland - sights, sounds, and flavors.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Go easy on the Guinness !
  • CharlieOverby
    CharlieOverby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    it's a vacation so don't count and don't worry

Unless you are losing weight with a deadline or for medical reasons (like you're about to drop dead), then I would go with your instinct on this. It's vacation, you go and have fun and when you get back, MFP will still be here.

I'll drink to that!!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your trip!

I recently just got back from Mexico! While I did say, I am on vacation....I still did track my food and pay attention to what I was doing! I had several things I would not normally have b/c it was vacation....I don't drink everyday of the week but I did when I was in Mexico!

Remember it is still moderation! You don't have to go crazy just to have a good time! Most days I went over- however, I didn't care but I was still watching!

Remember you have choosen to change your lifestyle....that never goes on holidays! You can still enjoy yourself without losing control! You are right you are going to get lots of exercise and different exercise then you are probably use too! Just update your stuff! You will be surprised that even when you are out you will find yourself making good choices!

Try new things! You might even be surprised when you get back to find out you might have lost weight while you were away!

Have an awesome trip!!!!!
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice everyone. i think i am just nervous cause i've only been doing MFP for a month and i love the results i am getting and don't want to fall away from my new good habits. That and UK chocolate is soooo much better than Canadian chocolate!! lol!
  • bellecraic
    bellecraic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    and dont forget spirals mmmmmm..... cant wait to see u gettin up earlier than me for ure walk, i shall wave to u from the window!!!!!!lol
  • complete_tease
    complete_tease Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Since you're going to be away for a few weeks (rather than just a few days), be mindful of what you're eating, and log it if you want to. But also remember that it is vacation, and don't pass up opportunities to try food or drinks or social situations just because you're afraid of calorie count. Especially if you're doing a lot of walking and sight-seeing, your calories shouldn't be too much of a worry unless you're REALLY going over. Chances are, especially since you're on MFP, you'll know which choices are healthier (even if marginally so), and you're aware of your body and health now, so you will naturally make better decisions.
    And most importantly, have an awesome time!!

^^^ this!