Defective HRM??

Options
So I got a Polar FT7 3 weeks ago and have used it 10 times thus far. At first, everything seemed to be working just fine ... but for the past 3-4 times that I've used it, I've noticed that it just "hangs" on a heart rate. For instance, if I'm doing bench presses and my heart rate peaks at 190, when I'm done with the set and I'm resting, the HRM will still show a rate of 190 for 30 seconds to a minute or more ... and I know good and well that it's not still that high. Finally, when it eventually decides to update, it'll drop to something like 110 or lower.

I thought that maybe the sensors weren't staying wet enough during the course of my workout, so I started using Spectra electrode gel, but that hasn't made any difference. Is it possible the batteries aren't good, even though it's new? ... or could it be a defective strap? ... or could it just be me??? :frown:

Replies

• jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I'd try to change the battery first. My HRM would register a hr of like 30 for the first 5 minutes of my workout when it was probably more like 140, I changed the battery and it was good to go. I don't have a Polar one though.
  • ursula0601k
    ursula0601k Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    R u cleaning the chest strap? Sometimes when mine acts up I clean the strap and it's fine.
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    R u cleaning the chest strap? Sometimes when mine acts up I clean the strap and it's fine.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I wash it off in the sink after every use.

I'll probably try replacing the batteries as jhardenbergh suggested and *hopefully* that'll do the trick.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    could be worth checking their website for FAQs in case anyone else has had the same situation. Otherwise, look at taking it back and getting a replacement ASAP.
  • NorthRiver
    NorthRiver Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hm, I've actually been thinking about getting that very same heart rate monitor, because a friend recommended it.

I had a cheap one before, but the exact same thing happened - it simply showed the wrong heart rate for a while. There I took the battery out and checked it, and it actually was only half-empty. Never found out why that one was acting up, got my money back and haven't had a HRM since. But I really want one again now because I have no idea how many calories I'm actually burning and whether or not I'm eating too much /too little.

Can you change the battery yourself in the one you have? I heard some don't allow you to change the battery yourself, and to me that seems like b***, because batteries DO die. What do you do then? Buy a new one??
  • blazergrad
    Options
    Can you change the battery yourself in the one you have? I heard some don't allow you to change the battery yourself, and to me that seems like b***, because batteries DO die. What do you do then? Buy a new one??

Yes, on the FT7, you can change the battery in both the watch and the transmitter. They both take a standard battery that can be picked up anywhere. I'm hoping maybe that's all that's wrong with this one because I have enjoyed having it and getting a more "accurate" calorie burn count when I do cardio than just going by what MFP says I've burned.
  • juli3b2011
    juli3b2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You should actually wash the strap in the washing machine after every 5th use (per the manual). When mine started acting up, washing the strap fixed it. HTH
  • Leanne_3
    Leanne_3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with my FT4, it seems to be a common issue with the Polar HRM with the wearlink chest straps.

After about 2 months of use my FT4 would take ages to find my heart rate when I put on the strap and either be at 0 or 90% during a workout. I had to send mine in for repair.
  • tinytearsie
    Options
    Hello
    I use polar and i had to recently change the battery in both the strap and the watch. I would advise to post it to polar and they will change the battery and also check it is working correctly. It sometimes causes problems when changing the battary yourself and your not covered if the HRM goes burst. It cost me about £22.50 including postage.
    Hope this helps.

Colette
  • NorthRiver
    NorthRiver Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Other HRM brands don't seem to be much better, so I'll probably get one of the polars, 4 or 7. But mailing it to them whenever the battery dies probably isn't an option, because I'm moving around a lot. Moving from continent to continent. :/
  • blazergrad
    Options
    Other HRM brands don't seem to be much better, so I'll probably get one of the polars, 4 or 7. But mailing it to them whenever the battery dies probably isn't an option, because I'm moving around a lot. Moving from continent to continent. :/

Per Polar's own web site, the battery is "user replaceable" on both the FT7 watch unit and the WearLink transmitter. In the back of both the watch and the transmitter, there's a large slot for using a coin or screwdriver for opening the back and popping out the old battery and putting in the new.
  • blazergrad
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the feedback! I'm going to replace the batteries and keep my fingers crossed! :happy: