New and looking for support - intro included

Hello to all you amazing people! I've been looking around and am encouraged by all the support here.

Many years ago I lost weight with Weight Watchers and became a "lifetime" member. Unfortunately my fitness goals were put on the backburner as my 3yr old daughter had to have heart surgery (her 2nd one) and had a massive stroke. I worked hard with her and she was able to regain most of what was lost but then a couple of years later she had several more heart surgeries and I had two babies... not twins. After my last baby was born it was sooo hard to lose the weight. My daughter's heart disease had progressed to where we knew that she would not survive her CHD (congenital heart defects) and was not eligible for a transplant. Over the years her health deteriorated and was confined to a wheelchair and on oxygen. She also developed GI issues which caused severe pain. She passed away one year ago at the age of 22. She was not expected to survive childhood so we beat the odds!

I developed fibromyalgia almost 20 years ago so I deal with chronic pain, fatigue, and many other issues. I have gained quite a bit of weight over the years. At my highest I weighed 217, was able to get down to 197 in 2008 but then my nephew died from a brain tumor which caused us a lot of stress (I'm such a stress eater!). My daughter and my youngest son (I have 3 sons) really took his death hard. My daughter's health was so bad for quite a few years that I was up almost all night with her and would get 3 or 4 hours of sleep at a time (at the most) Throughout the day. I would go days without even leaving the house. Since her death I've been trying to get myself out of the house more and going for walks. My youngest son is having medical issues so I'm still taking a child to doctor's appointments and therapy frequently - it can be quite discouraging... but I'm NOT giving up!

I changed my PCP since I don't trust my last one (long story) and I saw a good one this past Thursday. I look forward to working with her and improving health. I weighed in at 214. I really feel like I weigh more. I don't have any energy and I hope that by losing weight and going for walks I'll find some energy... maybe it's in my neighborhood and if I go for walks I'll find it? lol

I look forward to meeting others who are using this site to improve their health. I LOVE this place!

Replies

• Thank you for sharing such personal details. I'm very sorry for your loss! However you are a wonderful mother and I APPLAUD you for staying at your daughters side everyday of her life. You were one of her angels. Now its time to start taking care of yourself and you have come to the right place :bigsmile: . I will add you as a friend :)
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Bless your heart!!! ( I'm a southerner, and that's what we say when stories touch our hearts.:blushing: ) Thanks so much for sharing your story.

Though I have certainly not been through the sadness that you have, I can certainly relate to being a stress eater. Feel free to add me if you'd like to share motivation and support. Good luck on your journey to good health.:flowerforyou:
  • rlw77
    rlw77 Posts: 61
    So sorry to hear all the stressful things you have been through. Hopefully, things are looking up for you. You can do this!!
  • Emberlure
    Emberlure Posts: 33 Member
    Thank you for sharing your story! I'm just starting out here too. :)
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Bless you on your journey here. You have come to the right place for support. While everyone's story is different we can all gain courage and strength from each other.
    I can attest that once you start moving and losing weight you will have more energy to keep moving. Walking is pretty much all I did in the beggining and is still the bulk of my workouts. It has helped me lose weight. I bet if you get out there that it really is hidden somewhere in your neighborhood.
    Good luck! Please add me as a friend if you would like.