Working out=huge deficit!

shovav91
shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
I've recently started working out more than I used to, and I feel great! However, I seem to be less hungry than I used to be. I pretty much force myself to eat all day (I haven't gone an hour today without eating something), and I am still way below calories. Right now, I've eaten about 1000, but I worked off 500. It's almost 7 PM and I don't want to have to eat all night. This happened yesterday as well, and it seems to happen every day I work out. How do you guys deal with huge calorie deficits? I don't want to harm my body, but I also don't want to force myself to eat all day every day.

Replies

• kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    bump

I have the same problem and would be interested in people's responses.
  • azrak
    azrak Posts: 17 Member
    if you dont log your workout then you wont know! thats my theory anyway. If you are eating right and not feeling hungry then it should be all good. I suppose though you could make sure you had a good meal before working out - maybe eggs, and eat high calorie good stuff like avocados or a handful of nuts.
  • shovav91
    My diary is open, so you're welcome to look. It is FULL- I eat an unreal amount of food. I can't believe it amounts to so few calories. I seem to be constantly full, if not stuffed...
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    When losing weight, I always had a big cal deficit becuase I didn't/don't eat back my exercise cals. I only eat when hungry. I haven't had any problems doing it that way.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Controversial I guess but I think if you're not hungry then don't eat your exercise calories back. As long as you meet your minimum calories at least. People are different and our bodies work differently. Eating when I wasn't hungry got me into this flabby meds.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    You shouldn't force feed yourself, but try eating higher calorie foods... avocado and unsalted nuts are an easy way to increase your calorie intake.. use evoo for cooking. You need to add more healthy fats to your diet, you have next to nothing for your fat intake today. Fat is not the enemy, it's about getting the right kinds of fats.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Just add a few spoons of oil to your salad, or eat some fruit.
    Or maybe just treat yourself with a croissant or something like that.

If you struggle to reach your calorie total, without going for the worst junk food you can find (because it's really bad for your body), you can try to eat something a bit more calorific (toasted bread and butter, bread and nutella or what have you).

You should not have to eat all your calories back always, but just watch out as if you don't you might feel really exhausted after a week or so (at least that's what happens to me). You might have some energy in excess at this stage, but that will probably not last (i.e. you will find you need to eat more after a while, once the "engine is started").

Note that if you don't eat enough consistently for an extended period of time, you might fail to get the "engine started" properly, i.e. your muscle might not build and you might end up not burning extra calories throughout the day.
  • azrak
    azrak Posts: 17 Member
    Okay just looked at your food diary and i would be hungry on that too. Maybe add a bit of substance to your breakfast and lunch... a bit of wholegrain toast with your egg whites? maybe a small piece of cheese or avocado with your veges for lunch? or how bout oatmeal for breakfast then have your eggwhites with ketchup for lunch?
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Start eating higher calorie foods. Try using peanut butter as a protein, or making smoothies! You can boost the calories by adding things to your smoothies.
    It also helps to eat a larger breakfast. Take the time to scramble some eggs with your usual morning cereal or oatmeal. It's adding a few 100 calories here or there that makes a difference without making you feel like you do nothing but eat. ;) Good luck!
  • shovav91
    The biggest problem with changing my eating habits is that I don't eat meat, and I live in a dorm. My meals are essentially predetermined; I don't like the options they offer so I eat a lot of salad (which is ok, because it's my favorite food :))
    However, another problem is that I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm trying to healthily gain, so I guess adding more caloric foods is my only option. I have a lot of stomach issues (IBS) so really fatty foods often don't agree with me =/
  • chikachic817
    chikachic817 Posts: 55 Member
    Based on your profile, have you tried incorporating more different types of fish into your diet? It would probably help with your healthy weight gain, having the added protein.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    Put more protein in your meals.
  • Looks like your fats are way low. Stock up your dorm with nuts, nut butters, and cans of tuna in olive oil :] adds calories fast!
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Not sure how it would interact with IBS, but what I'd suggest otherwise would be to try to add maybe some nuts/nut butters to your diet for some healthy added calories. You also might want to try adding things like chia seeds or sunflower seeds to your salads (again, if they won't adversely affect the IBS).

Another possibility would be hitting the health food stores and getting some of the protein powders that weight lifters use and having that as your beverage of choice one meal a day.
  • shovav91
    I think protein powder is probably my best option, it's just so expensive! I'm currently sitting in my bed with a bag of sun chips... I feel weird ending the night with a net of 700 calories =/ Thank you all for your advice thus far!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Not sure how it would interact with IBS, but what I'd suggest otherwise would be to try to add maybe some nuts/nut butters to your diet for some healthy added calories. You also might want to try adding things like chia seeds or sunflower seeds to your salads (again, if they won't adversely affect the IBS).

Another possibility would be hitting the health food stores and getting some of the protein powders that weight lifters use and having that as your beverage of choice one meal a day.

^^^ This. If you're trying to do a healthy gain without eating any meat at all - man that will probably be hard. Add olive oil to your veggies/salads - lots of good fats in there. :) But yeah, protein powder in a good smoothie mix is what I'd say is your best shot as a vegetarian. Smoothies are easy to eat, (drink lol) and probably wouldn't be as filling as a whole meal I wouldn't think anyway.
  • shovav91
    I might just have to invest in some of that. I do generally eat a lot of peanut butter which is good... I guess I'll just have to experiment!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Wanted to add one more thing! Shakeology is supposed to be coming out with a vegan version of their shake mix. That stuff is kinda pricey, but it could be worth it for you. You can add all sorts of stuff to it for extra calories also, even protein powder. :) It's really good for you too.
  • shovav91
    What is Shakeology? Just a brand of protein powder? I've used "Whey to Go" in the past, I liked it a lot.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    I note that you dont eat the egg yolks why !