how do you log.....

Options
OK, this might sound like the stupidest question ever, but if I marinate my chicken in lemon juice and olive oil....how do I log that? I honestly have no idea. Obviously, not all of it stays on the chicken, because it's sitting in the juices, and when you take the chicken out of the bowl, the juices are still there. So, I have no idea how much actually stays ON the chicken...plus is it the type of thing that might cook out when it's put on the grill? The flavor is still there, so some of it has soaked in of course....and I feel like I am no longer making sense, so lets leave it at how do I log what I marinate my chicken in?

Replies

• SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'd still log at least 1/2 of the oil. although your probably not going to eat it all since it's a marinade, it's still going to add calories to the chicken. Relax, if it's only a tablespoon or teaspoon, it won't kill your calorie count.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Just estimate it. Call it 1 or 2 tablespoons. I try to overestimate when I can, but at the end of the day, don't worry too much about it.
  • efriling
    efriling Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When I make a marinade (whatever the ingredients) I measure the ingredients out and then put them in a cup to measure the total amount, then I put the marinade "recipe" into MFP to get the total cals of whatever amount I've made. Then after I remove whatever I marinate, I pour the marinade back into a measuring cup to see how much is left (usually about 1/2 to 3/4 of the original amount is left), then I just subtract it out. So, just for an example....if used 1/8 c lemon juice & 1/8 c olive oil I'd log those ingredients into a recipe and get the total cals for the whole 1/4 c of marinade. Let's make up an easy number for illustration purposes, and say that 1/4c of marinade is 100 cals & 12 g of fat, etc....then after I remove my chicken from it, I'd dump what's left in a measuring cup, and lets say you measure 1/8 c of marinade...then I'd log 50 cals & 6g of fat (1/2 of the mixture) plus the chicken. Sure some more of it will cook out, but that amount really cannot be easily measured, and is not really a big difference....this is about as close as you can get ;) Hope that wasn't too ridiculously detailed!
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    When I make a marinade (whatever the ingredients) I measure the ingredients out and then put them in a cup to measure the total amount, then I put the marinade "recipe" into MFP to get the total cals of whatever amount I've made. Then after I remove whatever I marinate, I pour the marinade back into a measuring cup to see how much is left (usually about 1/2 to 3/4 of the original amount is left), then I just subtract it out. So, just for an example....if used 1/8 c lemon juice & 1/8 c olive oil I'd log those ingredients into a recipe and get the total cals for the whole 1/4 c of marinade. Let's make up an easy number for illustration purposes, and say that 1/4c of marinade is 100 cals & 12 g of fat, etc....then after I remove my chicken from it, I'd dump what's left in a measuring cup, and lets say you measure 1/8 c of marinade...then I'd log 50 cals & 6g of fat (1/2 of the mixture) plus the chicken. Sure some more of it will cook out, but that amount really cannot be easily measured, and is not really a big difference....this is about as close as you can get ;) Hope that wasn't too ridiculously detailed!

Thank you so much! I never even thought about doing it that way! Makes perfect sense! :)