Do you think you are being discriminated on a job hunt?

Options
I think I am,, but then, I have a profound hearing loss but I still think it's more of being heavy, a deciding factor.

Replies

• megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. For my age alone.
    I'm constantly told I would be a great fit for the job... but when I look around the office before leaving from the interview, pretty much all of the employees are older and I think they don't believe I would FIT IN in the office. I end up not getting the call.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    My legal first name is very unusual. Once I changed it on my resume to something more mainstream the calls doubled.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Yep..for a couple of reasons. Partly because I didn't go to the school here (they're big on school spirit here, and when you decide after high school that you want to go 10 hours away, they kinda frown upon that). Also, I'm young and there are a lot of veteran teachers out of work right now, so they get the jobs even if my ideas and methods are more innovative.
  • amfeierabend74
    Options
    I know I was discriminated against when I was looking for a job as a dental assistant after going to school for it. My teacher was honest and said that I might have trouble because of my size, but i didn't really believe her. She was over weight herself and used to be an assistant until she was in a bad car accident and lost partial use of one of her hands. It seems funny that you can go to a doctors office or a clinic and you will see overweight medical assistants, but in the dental field you never see a heavy dental assistant. I finally gave up after going on countless interviews and never getting called back for a working interview. Now I have to work to pay off my student loans for a career I cant even work in because of the discrimination! Sorry about my ranting! lol
  • 1prettysmile
    Options
    Whenever I have had successful interviews in the past, I've always wondered if I didn't get a call back because of my weight. I have a "regular" name, education and experience, a professional phone voice... I get the interview, but no job. So, I figured it was either race or weight. To further my suspicions is the fact that I was hired for my last THREE jobs after PHONE interviews. I know there are lots of people applying for the same jobs, so there may be others that are more qualified for whatever reason, but the thought is always there in the back of my mind.
  • NoDairy
    NoDairy Posts: 88
    Options
    All the time, i stopped trying.