What do you spend on groceries?

Options

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I've heard many good things about Trader Joes, unfortunately the closest one to me is about a 2 hour drive away.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    :heart: :love: Trader Joes :heart: :love:

Trader Joe is my hero. :bigsmile:
  • ruesinger
    Options
    99 cent only store! 100 items for 100 bux. ya you can't get meats there but you can get produce, bread, eggs, milk, cereal and often times they have weight concious foods there. i spend the majority of my grocery cash there now days and only hit ralphs / kroger when i need meat. .also buy in bulk yay sams club!
    135920.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com -
  • KLS10
    KLS10 Posts: 127
    Options
    next time you go look in the frozen section for the mushroom fettuchini. It is the best stuff ever and you get a lot for under 500 cals in the whole package. I am obsessed with it and would eat it for dinner everynight if I could :love:
  • shayk80
    shayk80 Posts: 56
    Options
    Food has gotten SO expensive!!!!!! I went to the store on my way home from work on Friday and hardly got a thing and spent $75. I think the only good buy I got was 7 pounds of ground beef for $10. Other then that, if I were to shop for 3 of us (my husband, 3 year old son and myself) we would probably spend around $120 or more.
  • jessicasager
    Options
    my bf and i used to get a little over a weeks worth of food for about 100. now that we're eating healthier with fresh produce and everthing, we spend about 150 for ONE week. it's rediculous isn't it? lol
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I just figured out there is a Trader Joe's in Columbus. Now, I am about an hour north of C-bus. Is it worth the drive for me to make a fun day of it and shop there?
    We will make sure we visit other fun places while we are there like Garden Ridge, Karaoke Warehouse and oh visit my daughter in Delaware lol.

Lynnie
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    $100-$150 each week for me, hubby, and 3 year old daughter.

This DOES include household items-- TP, pull ups for the potty training kid, shampoo, etc, as well as LUNCHES. We do not eat out for lunch at work, but instead take our own.

So if you plug in $20 each for lunches (total=$40) and subtract that from our weekly groceries, I suppose it ain't so bad. (Tell that to my checkbook!!)

The most expensive things are my healthified junk foods that I refuse to give up. Baked Lays, 100 Calorie Packs, reduced calorie cheeses, Sara Lee 45 Calorie per slice bread.... Those are the bigger ticket items. Everything else I buy can be store brand, I'm not terribly picky.

And when fresh fruits and veggies are in season, the bill goes up by about $25. My husband and daughter aren't big fresh eaters, but I sure am!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I spend about 300$ every 3 to 4 weeks on groceries. To be fair, he eats like a horse and that includes cat food, kitty litter, cleaning supplies and toiletries. We eat really well though and I don't think we're overspending at all. I'd rather spend a little more for the whole grain options, and a little more for fresh produce. :flowerforyou:
  • whitneykt
    whitneykt Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Nancy - I haven't finished reading all the posts, so someone may have already done this. I just did some math and here's what I calculated:

$170.00 / 7 days / 3 people/ 6 meals = $1.35 per meal per person. That's really not bad!!

It like I said in my reply in the other thread . . . look at the price per meal and it doesn't seem that bad.

And, yes, I am also spending more on groceries. Two reasons; healthy food costs more, and we aren't eating out. So that eating out money is now in the eating in money budget. :)
  • whitneykt
    Options
    I hate grocery shopping. I was spending way too much. So, I decided to go now with my husband. He is going to take lead and help me spend less. I hope it helps!

I actually spend more money when my husband is with me cuz I know he can see what I'm spending . . . if he doesn't complain then I buy. :laugh: If I'm alone, I watch the numbers more.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Nancy - I haven't finished reading all the posts, so someone may have already done this. I just did some math and here's what I calculated:

$170.00 / 7 days / 3 people/ 6 meals = $1.35 per meal per person. That's really not bad!!

It like I said in my reply in the other thread . . . look at the price per meal and it doesn't seem that bad.

And, yes, I am also spending more on groceries. Two reasons; healthy food costs more, and we aren't eating out. So that eating out money is now in the eating in money budget. :)

Yea - I guess that's NOT bad.... considering my daughter pays $1.80 for her school lunch!

It just seems like a lot all at once, ya know??!! :ohwell:
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Oh girl we are a family of 3 and I was (and still) spend about 200/week...easily!

I coupon, I shop Trader Joes,. I shop locally at markets and STILL spend that..and that doesnt include TP and Paper towels etc..We do drink alcohol which adds up fast. But yesterday at TJ's was 80 and today at the grocery store it was 50..

I have a local internet site that discusses good deals in town and how to coupon. hotcouponworld.com
    or grocerygame.com (you have to pay for that one). People actually get papers from other cities (sunday only) in order to have extra coupons. Some have it down to a science with CVS and that extra buck stuff to get tons of free stuff..I dont know. I try and still cant get it down.
  • Winter23
    Winter23 Posts: 142
    Options
    We just added up what we have spent on groceries for the month and so far it's at $750, we still have a week to go, I am hoping to just get basics and keep next week at around $50, but we will see. We rarley get out of the sore for less than that. I truly wish junk food was waay more expensive than healthy foods we should be eating. That way we all could afford to eat healthier all the time. We are a fmily of 3 me DH and our almost 20 month old daughter.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

Yea - I guess that's NOT bad.... considering my daughter pays $1.80 for her school lunch!

The breakdown per meal is pretty cheap.....Just think of how much 1 meal at a fast food restaurant costs. At least $4+ per person, and if you go to a sit down ....at least $8 per person. ( if not more). I personally spend 125-160 per week. I just depends on what we run out of or need that week.

We don't eat out much- maybe once per month. the last time we went out to eat ( 4 of us) it cost $80! For one stinking meal!
  • whitneykt
    Options

I'll bet your food at home tastes better too! :happy:
  • healthy_me
    Options
    For me it's not the food that's costing so much, it's the water.

I live on an Army Base in Asia so you can't drink the tap water and even those water filters that supposedly "clean" the water aren't recommended. So I spend so much money DAILY just buying water as I am trying to drink more.
  • SteffCooley
    Options
    The breakdown per meal is pretty cheap.....Just think of how much 1 meal at a fast food restaurant costs. At least $4+ per person, and if you go to a sit down ....at least $8 per person. ( if not more). I personally spend 125-160 per week. I just depends on what we run out of or need that week.

We don't eat out much- maybe once per month. the last time we went out to eat ( 4 of us) it cost $80! For one stinking meal!
    [/quote]

We have six in our family (although, the two younger kids, ages 5 and 2, aren't *REALLY* eating eating yet!!) and the last couple of times we have gone out to Mexican, it was $60 & $70!!! I about died!! FOR ONE MEAL?!?!! Just crazy. After we left, all I could think was "can you imagine how much groceries I could have bought for that ONE meal?!"
  • SteffCooley
    Options
    Ooops! That didn't turn out right. I was trying to quote "watch48win" and reply to what she had said!

Just wanted to clarify in case anyone was confused! lol.
  • caejde
    caejde Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Today I went shopping and spent 109. Last week I think I spent about 100. Some weeks I can spend 80 and others I can spend 130...just all depends what we need other than food.

Back in summer 2008, we went to Save A Lots and stocked up on different canned goods. We spent about 70 bucks and our cabinets still have canned stuff in them. My husband shot a deer so we have a freezer full of venison of all cuts-ground, sausage, cube, roasts. So the only meats we buy are like chicken, sometimes beef-if we're doing stir fry. We also sit down and plan out our meals for the week. I ususally cook enough at dinner for our family of 4 (hubby, me, 2 kids-ages 8 and 2) and then enough left overs for hubby to take to work and me and 2 year old for lunch next day. Anyway, we plan those out and then only buy what we need for those meals and any other items we need-diapers, wipes, cleaners, etc...