Runners from NOLA - Suggestions, please!

Options
I am seriously considering a 4-day getaway to New Orleans for my 25th birthday.

I need to know where I can run safely and enjoyably on my own. Any suggestions from runners would be greatly appreciated! :bigsmile:

Thanks!

Replies

• mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner, BUT I just moved from there, I lived there for 2 years. Google Audubon Park. There is a GREAT trail there around a pond!! I did a 5k there last year. There are runners there ALL the time. NOLA is a fun place, but be safe. Just a tip...if some one says "I bet you $10 I can tell you where ya go your shoes at..." The answer is "on your feet"

Have fun!
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Great to know! I visit nola at least 3 or 4 times a year, and always struggle to know where I can do any sort of exercise outdoors. Heard about Audubon park, and I'll have to check it out on my next visit.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Bump so others can see this and offer help.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Thanks John - I guess there aren't many runners from NOLA? :ohwell:
  • jogdog
    jogdog Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Like one poster said, Audubon park is a very pretty place to run around, but also don't forget about City Park. There's even a practice track there around Tad Gormley if you wanted to run around a track. Also in City Park is a little running path around a big pond right by the New Orleans Museum of Art. There are tons of races all the time in City Park and you can probably look up some race routes to follow if you wanted a set distance (might even want to see if there is a road race going on while you're here - we serve great food after races!!). Also, a lot of people run on the levees. Another area you can run around is the Lakefront of Lake Ponchartrain. Nice and cool and great scenery. If you want any other ideas feel free to message me!

Might want to check out NOTC (new orleans track club) and other similar groups.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Thank you!! I was seriously considering looking up race dates for that weekend, but I'm not sure if I want to spend my birthday weekend racing... We shall see!

Really appreciate the advice. I'll be looking into all of it! :bigsmile:
  • jogdog
    jogdog Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I was seriously considering looking up race dates for that weekend, but I'm not sure if I want to spend my birthday weekend racing... We shall see!

After almost all the races I have been to, there has always been some really good beer and jambalaya!
  • cajunlady56
    cajunlady56 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    a lot of runners on St. Charles Avenue.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Just a tip...if some one says "I bet you $10 I can tell you where ya go your shoes at..." The answer is "on your feet"

AAAHHH thank you for posting this!! My husband and I went to New Orleans on our honeymoon, and someone asked us this... we didn't bet him the $10 because we figured he had some tricky answer, and the guy left... but we never figured it out, either!! Thanks for finally giving us the answer a year and a half later!! :bigsmile:
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Oh, and to the OP, try looking on meetup.com, there might be a runner's meet-up group! :happy:
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Just a tip...if some one says "I bet you $10 I can tell you where ya go your shoes at..." The answer is "on your feet"

AAAHHH thank you for posting this!! My husband and I went to New Orleans on our honeymoon, and someone asked us this... we didn't bet him the $10 because we figured he had some tricky answer, and the guy left... but we never figured it out, either!! Thanks for finally giving us the answer a year and a half later!! :bigsmile:

Very nice!! No Prob! :wink:
    I forgot about City Park. I just drove by Audubon Park every day on the way to work, so that was the first thing that came to my mind. But yeah, that, Lake Ponchartrain and St. Charles are very frequented areas. Also, in Metairie, there is Lafreneire Park. It has a GREAT trail all the way around the park which has a pond and a wildlife area. Very peaceful and beautiful as well.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Thank you all so much! :bigsmile: Keep em coming!