Questions for runners?

Options
Do you prefer to run alone or in a group? If you prefer a group, did you already have runner friends or did you meet them during your runs?

When should you increase your distance and by how much? I am currently running 5ks - and still have to walk a little bit during - but am considering a half marathon in January. Is that enough time? Should I be able to run a full 5k without stopping before increasing my distance?

Replies

• deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Normally alone but I'm less self conscious now that I've gotten faster lol. When I first started running fiver years ago I was scared to run alone.
    I would say it's probably better to focus on one goal of finishing one 5k running. Then build from there =]. try running long slow distances even if it's walking pace but you're still "running" just keep going you'll get there =]. Try adding a quarter mile or half a mile ever couple weeks. It'll get easier.
    Good luck!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run alone so I can just be in my own world and manage my own pace.

And most of the half marathon training schedules I've been looking at start at around 5-6 miles for the long run days and are three month long programs. So January may be a little soon if you can't even do a 5K without stopping yet. Even if your goal with the half is just to finish, not necessarily to run the entire time, I would say wait until you are regularly able to run 5-6 miles with minimal to no stops for walking. I've got a 5K and a 4.5 mi race, both with personal bests under my belt and am currently training for a 10K on Nov 12 and I'm looking for my first Half to be around late March/early April of next year so that I can get through the holidays and then get on a regular training schedule. :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the training program I use adds 1/2 mile each week to the long run of the week, since that was another part of your question. :)
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That helps alot... I will keep pushing for my straight 5k without stops before increasing. Then will work my way up. Probably a 10k in between and so on until I am ready for another half marathon :) One of the options was a relay race, so we would each run 6.3 miles or something, so I think that could definitely be an option then.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I run alone - because I don't have any friends who run and because I go early in the morning before work. And I like running alone, although my husband threatened to train with me for a 5k next year, but I'm not holding my breath!

I think you would be pushing it a bit to run a half marathon in January from not quite doing 5k - I'm training for one in Feb but ran a 12k race a few months ago. You could look at a run/walk program, that might be more do-able, but I'm not sure that you have quite enough time to do it without pushing/injuring yourself.
  • nirvana1
    Options
    I like to run alone, this is because I'm quite competitive and don't want anyone spoiling my time, lol. I would suggest doing core work as well, I found that this helped me, just seemed to make me stronger. I ran my first race 5k this Saturday and I had to stop about 3 times, but I try to keep it as short as possible and I keep walking even when I stop running. I did it in 31.53.
    I'm very lucky as we have a free 5k run here every Saturday, they even text your time through when you finish!