The more I watch the more angry I get.

Options
tracy337
tracy337 Posts: 199 Member
Watching MSNBC One Nation Overweight and its only half way and I am already yelling at the TV and wishing there was the technology to reach through the TV to slap the Stupid M***erF***** who thinks that its great his high school is MAKING money off the kids and that the cost of their health is WORTH IT! Grrrr :grumble: :grumble: :explode: :grumble: :huh:

Replies

• L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    What's the show about exactly? I've never heard of it.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Is that about them making money from vending machines in schools?
  • tracy337
    Options
    Talking about the obesity epidemic in our country :( The first half was about how serious it is, school lunch programs (which is where the slapping reference came in as the principal has a big ol smile on his face as he watched the kids handing over money for such unhealthy meals and when called on it said "well the food generates a revenue for the school" and said he didn't see a problem with how unhealthy they were since the school was making money) the last half is a lot better lol talking about healthy ways people are losing weight.
  • tracy337
    Options
    Is that about them making money from vending machines in schools?

Yes they went over that as well and talked about how the government wants to ban soda and candy from being available. My sons school has already done this only water and juice is available in machines. But the lunches are HORRID. 1 out of 4 high school serve fast food McD, Taco bell, etc The ONLY company that was willing to talk to them was pizza hut and he defended their product as a healthy choice ROFL
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I do remember school lunches as barely being food. Up until high school it was rare to see any overweight kids, then you have the vending machines, snack bar, pizza and other things you could buy. I usually just got salad bar or a sub when they had those or just skipped lunch. With the soda machines you could buy a soda and drink it in class but they were off limits during lunch, it didn't even make sense!

Things about the obesity epidemic usually annoy me though, so I avoid them.
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I hate it when they look all dumb with their big smile because they know nothing they say will validate what they're doing. Glad I didn't watch.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I watched the Jamie Oliver thing when he was trying his best to do something about the terrible food served in Schools in America and nobody was interested, hardly any parents cared, he was blocked by the people in charge of the schools and everything he did was blocked by people in charge, it frustrated me so much I was shouting at the television. Disgrace what happens in your schools, no idea why there is not a massive outcry like there was over here when people realised how unhealthy the food was in schools, they now have laws about the health of the meals in schools, they are well balanced and healthy and I work in school nursing and we encourage all parents to let their child have school dinners rather than a packed lunch, much better socially, the food is freshly prepared and balanced and is much more health.

I don't understand the parental apathy, I really don't.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    Bleh, I remember my high school lunches. My friends would all eat gross looking pizza, curly fries with ketchup or tartar sauce, and tater tots. I'd just skip lunch, I couldn't stomach any of it... and my school got out at 1:15 (or 2:20 depending on the day) so it was never a travesty for me to wait to get something edible at home. Of course I usually just had a coke during the lunch period, so it's not like I was making any particularly better choices. XD