sore shins

Options
Wondering if anyone else has suffered from shin splint pain. I had this since 9th grade track and now 20 years later still get it really bad. In fact, I have it so bad that I couldn't finish my Plyometrics tonight, (was doing it barefoot cuz it hurt so bad in my shoes). Anyone know of anyways to get rid of it or would it be my shoes? It hurts so bad that even just the bed sheets touching my shins it feels like they are fractured, one thing the pain is in the inside of shin not outside like most experience....... open for thoughts, if you have any?

Replies

• MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I get it too. I'm trying to do swimming and aqua jogging as exercise as I don't get shin splint pain from that.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend doing a different exercise, at least for a while... I got shin splints terribly when I first started out with jogging. Not fun. So I switched to Turbo Fire - mostly strengthening classes at first. Been doing Turbo fore a bit over 4 months. About a week ago I took a 20 minute jog and wasn't bothered at all.

You really shouldn't be doing what you're doing if it's hurting you that badly - you could do permanent damage. If you won't stop at least for a while, try lessening the intensity or the duration of it. New shoes could help, but only so much. I tried that myself and it didn't do much for me, though it did help a little. You could also try stretching the shins before and after exercise. That also helped me a little.

Taken from http://www.sportsmd.com

"According to Roberts, the best cure for shin splints, once you have them, is rest. The length of recuperation depends upon the severity of the condition. Physicians may also recommend over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications, ice packs and stretching.

Roberts recommends two shin splints stretches to help prevent and aid in shin splints recovery. For the first stretching exercise, with shoes off, sit on a chair and extend one leg straight. Flex the toes and foot toward the body, then point the toes away. Repeat the shin splints stretches exercise ten times and switch legs.
    For the second shin splints stretches exercise, stand on a step, facing the step. Move back so the heels will freely drop below the step. Put a micro-bend in your knees and allow the heels to drop below the step. On exhalation, lift as high as possible on the toes. Repeat ten times and rest."

Edit: I just watched a video on plyometrics - wow. That is insane! So I gotta ask if when you are doing this, when your feet come down to the ground, are they hitting front heavy (the front of the foot first) or back heavy (heel of the foot first)? Because with proper running form, and I would have to assume also with what you're doing, you want to hit the ground with the front of the foot or the middle of your foot first. I posted another link below that might help you out.

http://celestinechua.com/blog/10-reasons-to-go-barefoot-running/
  • TurtleJeepChic
    Options
    Beezil, thanks so much I have had so many exercises thrown at me from coaches and nothing works...they say push through it. I will try these exercises and ice, ice and ice.... I think I have been doing to many calf raises and concentrating on that motion when doing the elliptical... so maybe just jogging may help..... we will see but taking at least two days fo recovery.

PS you look great!
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    You may also want to look at getting orthotics for your shoes (and possibly new shoes). I was getting the same sort of shin splints you describe (though not nearly so badly) so went to my physio. He had a look at the way I stand and my gait and it turns out I over-pronate quite a bit which was putting strain on the muscles and tendons on the inside of the shin when I run and causing pain. He recommended I try some off the shelf orthotics that he then heated up to mould to my foot. I haven't had any problems since (apart from breaking in the orthotics that is).
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Beezil, thanks so much I have had so many exercises thrown at me from coaches and nothing works...they say push through it. I will try these exercises and ice, ice and ice.... I think I have been doing to many calf raises and concentrating on that motion when doing the elliptical... so maybe just jogging may help..... we will see but taking at least two days fo recovery.

PS you look great!

You're welcome! :) Just make sure you rest those legs!

And thank you! <333
  • TurtleJeepChic
    Options
    I am seeing a nuromusclar massage therapist for foot pain that I have had since my 5th year in the Air Force, I have been given all kinds of orthotics and so on....I think because of his treatments my arches have gotten stronger and no longer need arch support like I am use to getting from those and shoes. I just need to get to a running store and have them size me for some running shoes with little support and lay off the toe raises for a while I think.... but it will be something I bring to his attention to see.

I tell you getting this treatment has been great and they do say that shoes can be the worst things we ever did to our feet and body. I just need releif and this pain will not slow me down.... :happy:
  • Lazytoad2001
    Lazytoad2001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi

Resr rest rest im afraid, and ice to take the pain away :) Other than that, a lot of people find that taking a vitamin mineral complex for bone and joint health help, this I can confirm helped me. It is also supposed to be beneficial to do shin strengthening excercises, when your back running hill work is great for this.

K x
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    First and foremost get your biomechanics checked - if you overpronate etc the problem will keep recurring. A professional can advise on orthotics and/or exercises to strengthen weaker sides or muscles.
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I used to get really bad shin splints and I also wound up getting exertional compartment syndrome in one leg from running. I had to get a fasciotomy to release the pressure and because I had a herniated muscle in my shin. I had unbearable pain. Not saying you need surgery... but just telling you I have felt your pain! After the surgery I have been fine.

I also highly recommend running orthotics! I haven't had a problem since I was fitted for them :)

Running the ING NYC Marathon in 2 weeks! Wouldn't have been able to do it 2 years ago with the pain I had.
  • MellieR
    MellieR Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I second the gait evaluation along with new shoes. I was wearing a "great" brand of shoes and got to the point where I could barely walk. I knew I had flat feet (#1 cause of shin splints from what I've read) but thought good shoes would be enough. I rested, bought new shoes and orthotics based on gait analysis, started doing the stretches mentioned above all day (it's easy to do at desk during the day) as well as ankle rotations (foot circles). I also warm up by walking around on my heels for about 5 mins. Two weeks later (based on recommendations for rest period), I started up again and it was like I had new legs! I still focus my training on lower leg muscles and probably always will. Hope that helps.
  • caltham
    Options
    hey,
    try going to the running zone and get fitted for some running shoes. makes a world of difference for me. also do some leg exercises to strengthen your legs. strong legs means easier time jogging so you’re not putting so much pressure on your bones and joints. I can always tell when I have slacked to long on leg strengthening and if i need new shoes. after I jog my legs are worn out more than the rest of me. hope this info helps.

anyway how you been? we haven't talked in a long time. I am trying to talk my family on moving back to Melbourne and get back into the 920th. so far Julie isn't too fond of the idea. she is from there and her parents still live there so that would be a pain. there not that close of a family. but I would love it. Ha-ha

miss you