How do you find time to cook and eat healthy? I find it hard

Options
With such busy and active schedules, how do you make the time to cook healthy & eat healthy? My husband & i fall into the trap of eating out alot. Can someone give me some tips on finding the time to cook & eat healthy? Some tips on preparing some things ahead of time and such as that? I need to do something here, we are eating out to much.

Replies

• Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Anything that is a priority is gonna happen. If you have time to be on the computer, use that time to cook instead. Got time to watch tv? Cook instead. Get up a half hour earlier to pack lunches/dinners etc.
  • halfsizeheather
    halfsizeheather Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    we make a lot of salads hardly any cooking time- try adding grilled bacon and chicken and your done.

we also have smoothies and juices if we're peckish. very quick and I've typed the mixtures in to my recipes so i can add them easily to MFP.

we used to eat out all the time too (about 3-4 times a week), but we started saving money for a house deposit and our wedding and found we enjoyed spending time together preparing meals. we've lost weight and saved for our future too!
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Planning - I spent yesterday afternoon making lunch for the week, and lasgne that could, in theory, feed us for two evenings. The freezer is your friend!
  • benodie
    benodie Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It is hard sometimes . . I have a little bit more time at the weekends so I try and cook a huge stockpot full of either a low fat bolognese or stew or soup and put them in portion pots in the freezer to use through the rest of the week. Hope this helps :smile:
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    It's quicker to chuck a stirfry in the wok than it is to ping something in the micro. You don't ha e to ear fancy meals, just keep it simple if you don't have time Xx
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    We will have a big cooking day on the weekend--a roast or a whole chicken plus a hearty casserole like veggie lasagna-- and then we'll "eat on" that for the whole week.

We're also big crock pot fans. It's super easy to dump a bunch of stuff in the crock pot while making breakfast and packing lunches in the morning, and then, voila! Dinner is ready when I get home, and there's plenty of leftovers to pack for lunches the next day.

I also keep lots of frozen veggies and bagged salad mix on hand so it's easy to whip up a quick side salad or side veggie with a chicken breast or piece of fish.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I commute an hour each way so am often out of the house for 11 hours a day!!!

It is hard going BUT it can be done.

At the weekends I try to prepare as much as possible in advance (I make a batch of healthy turkey curry / turkey mince chilli / mini meatballs) so I can just heat them up and make the veg / salad during the week. So I usually have 3 meals already sorted.

I try not to to cook anything that take longer than 45 minute to make so this leaves me time to work out in the evenings too.
  • janet5432
    janet5432 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Think of what you like and go shopping for at least a week. Make out a menu for the week and write it down (my friends laugh at it but it helps alot). We make our menu based on busy factor. For example Tuesday the boys have activities so it is roast night or spaghetti (somethink crockpot or under 20 min). Friday is usually a free day so we eat a nicer meal. Last night I made baked chicken and mash potatos. Normally I set something out but it was frozen so I defrosted it then put it in my pan with lots of seasonings and cooked it. While it was cooking I chopped up half a bag of potatos and then cooked them. I think whole thing including defrost took 30 min (I have extra potatos for tonight or tomorrow). Going to get pizza 40 min, going through the long drive thru lines of McDonalds 20-30 min.

If your really pressed for time have salad with turkey or ham, boiled egg and fat free italian dressing.

For lunch I buy a bag of frozen grilled Tyson chicken and frozen green beans. Takes 4-5 min to mircowave at work. Breakfast is eggs (my son cooks them sometimes) or oatmeal. Both are quick and easy. I even make veggie quiches sometime in my mini muffin pan (they are able to be reheated).

Also there are alot of lists/groups online that have ideas for making and freezing food one day a week if that is easier.
    Janet
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Make time.

If you really want to get it done you'll do it. If not you'll make an excuse.
  • rockabillymama
    rockabillymama Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I had this problem alot too, what with running here and there and everywhere with my husband and kids. But I've printed out and made everyone in the family a dry erase scedule (you can get the lamination to make them dry erase at staples) that hang in the kitchen, and the schedules help me know when i ned to make everyone their meals or snacks, and then i can mark it off so I don;t forget. I also plan three days ahead of time what I'm going to make, or I prep and then cook on the day, (that way i don;t have a ton a dishes everyday, just once every few days.

Good Luck. You can Do It!!!!
  • sarkris
    sarkris Posts: 41
    Options
    Keep your meals as simple as possible and plan your meals and grocery lists ahead of time. Also cook in larger batches - leftovers are your friend!
  • jezmarie89
    Options
    im home around 6p i have two lil girls and i make like a whole wheat pasta with chicken and shrimp. i just prepare my foods for the next day the night before, its not really a challenge for me. there are many quick and healthy meals to make in short time...also there are healthy meals you can make in a slow cooker
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yes, Cooking and freezing meal really works! We do it with soups in our house all the time. We have a TON of tupperware, then we split it up into servings, so it can be pulled out and reheated.
    Also, In our house we always have one or two lean cuisines in the freezer, for quick-grab meals.
  • katrana
    katrana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    cook on the weekends and freeze extra portions for quick meals during the week. Crockpot is your friend- you can make stews, veggie lasagna, mexican lasagna, soups, chili, and more. Other quick meals- stir fry, fish, pasta, things on the grill (veggies, shrimp, chicken, steak).

Sides for dinner- frozen veggies take just minutes in the microwave, or get pre-washed bagged salads.

lunches- make the night before. Things like sandwiches plus: veggies and hummus, a granola bar, piece of fruit, yogurt, hard boiled egg, string cheese, salads, or cottage cheese are quick and healthy. Try to mix it up so it doesn't get boring. I usually pack myself 2-3 of the things listed above and eat them throughout the day.

Breakfast- for me I usually have cereal and some fruit, sometimes I have eggs (make a bunch of mini quiche and freeze them individually), sometimes a piece of toast with PB
  • GeauxTravel
    Options
    I use my slow cooker and my pressure cooker a lot. I usually use my crock pot 3-4x's a week and my pressure cooker 1-2x's. I am out of the house ar 630a and dont usually get home till 6ish, then we have home work, baths and have to be in bed by 8. My weekend are jammed packed so I dont have a lot of time to cook ahead. Once a month I will go to Sams and make a day for cutting up veggies, and meat and sticking it in the freezer. This time of year the crock pot is great, but during the summer I get tired of it.
    1st make a menu, and stick to it as close as possible. If I am running late and the hubby happens to be home he can start dinner. (for my menu I go as far to write the cookbook and the page number so that way there is no wasted time looking for the recipe)
    I take my meat out of the freezer in the morning and put it in the sink full of ice (some people will disagree with me on this but my meat is always still cold when I get home, because of the ice)
    I start dinner as soon as we walk in the door, the kiddos do thier homework at the bar. I hardly ever cook anything that takes longer than 30 min, if I do I put it in the pressure cooker and it can usually be done in 30 or less.
    I do use the steam in the bag veggies. I have tons of cookbooks that are all meals in under 30 min (Holly Clegg's are my fav) and thats about it. If I can find the time to cook just about anybody can.
    o yea I forgot to mention, I dont turn on the tv till after dinner is done (I have a dvr so I dont miss anything) and when I am cleaning up dinner I pack lunch, fix my breakfast (usually overnight oatmeal in the fridge) and depending on what is on the menu the next day I am filling up the crock pot for the next day (in the morning I take it out of the fridge and set on the counter for an hour or so before I turn it on)
    One more little tip, the smaller you cut your meat the faster it cooks, so think stir fry, baked, grilled thin meats)
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Fail to plan, plan to fail :) It's all in the planning....keeping the foods stocked up in the house, having quick, easy to prepare foods on hand and planning meals in advance. There are plenty of healthy crock pot meals. Grill 10 or 12 chicken breasts, keep some in the fridge & wrap and freeze the rest for a quick meal.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I spend some time on the weekend planning meals for the week. Take 20-30 minutes, go through your recipes to pick what you think you'd like for the week and then build your grocery shopping list around that.

Also do as much prep as you can ahead of time. For instance, if I know I'll be putting a beef stew in the crock pot the next day, I'll get all the veggies and meat cut up the night before and all I have to do is dump it all in and turn the crock pot on. Lasagnas and other casseroles can also be put together the night before so all you have to do is pop them in the oven and you can go about doing your thing.

Hubby's not a big fan of leftovers so if I know I'm making something like a big batch of soup or a big casserole, I can count on that for lunches instead of sandwiches or salads.

It really does make a huge difference. If you know what's for dinner, there's a lot less temptation to say "eh, screw it, let's just order a pizza".
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Cook ahead of time. Buy easier foods to prepare.
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    marinate the proteins (chicken, fish, meat) all in one day and store them in seperate tupperwares.
    have plenty of frozen veggies on hand
    frozen brown rice steam bags

on the day you want to eat it. take out a serving of protein. add it to a skillet it will take about 10 min to cook.
    cook veggies and or rice in microwave and you have a dinner or lunch in less than 10 minutes.

:D
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    How much time are you using to go eat out every night? Are you picking up drive-thru, or sitting down and waiting for a server to bring food?

Go through any recipe books you have or see what you can find online (google fast easy recipes and you can modify almost any recipe to be healthier)....there are tons of easy things you can make that are healthy and don't take more than an hour, including prep time. There are so many options in stores that are almost done before they get to you...look around. Incorporating a 'veggie night' into your schedule can be a nice change of pace too.