Salad Dressing

Options
Anyone have any good recipes for lower cal salad dressings? I am in LOVE with Ranch but I can't stand low-fat Ranch and regular ranch has way too many calories in it. I have tried raspberry vinagrette, but don't really like that either nor do I like any kind of Italian dressing. Any feedback would be great! Thanks!!!!

Replies

• fightingforfiftyfive
    Options
    Low fat mayo with a touch of wholegrain mustard, and I sometimes even use a little water to spread it out so it goes further :)
  • benodie
    benodie Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    There is a salad dressing called 'tiger tiger red thai dressing' . .its 99%fat free and delicious! where are u from though, I am in england. :smile:
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    I still use regular ranch, but I measure it. If I'm having only a salad for dinner, I add low fat cottage cheese to the salad which helps my 1-2 tbsp of ranch stretch further.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Walnut Oil
    Balsamic Vinegar
    oregano
    basil
    salt
    pepper
    garlic powder
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I use Mint and Vinegar

Chop the mint and pour a small amount of boiling water over and allow to cool and add vinegar of your choice = zero calories

You can add olive oil to taste but this will add calories of course.
  • brittshelton00
    brittshelton00 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the yogurt based ranch? I am like you, I can't stand fat free ranch, but I tried the kind made with yogurt and I really liked it!
  • rachaelmae79
    rachaelmae79 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use Light ranch and fat free catalina mixed together. It takes away from the "diety" flavor of both dressings.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I generally use salsa for my salad dressing; usually Goya Salsa Verde or Pico de Gallo. It adds a ton of flavor and, at just 10 kcal per 2 tbsp and no fat, you can't beat it. If you need more of traditional dressing, try the Balsamic Salad Spritzer.

9114468.png
  • peacheywoo
    peacheywoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I make a mint based one

Olive oil - around 50 mls ish I guess
    Squeeze of lemon
    i teaspoon sugar
    Fresh mint - to personal taste

Can add ginger and garlic if wanted

Really jazzes up salads and goes great with feta cheese in a greek style salad.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    For ranch, I make my own with greek yogurt and milk! It's really yummy!
  • almawr
    almawr Posts: 77
    Options
    bumpp
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem and then I realized hey I love tabouli why don't I use that dressing, so I use 3/4 cup olive oil, and you can use lemon juice but this time I used organic apple cider vinegar about 1/4 cup or more, 1/2tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, mint, S&P. It's awesome add some tomato and my salads all taste like tabouli :) 1 tbs is about 90 cals but you can add more lemon juice/vinegar or less oil.
  • lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    WOW thanks everyone! I am definitely going to try some of the ones you posted!
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You can mix a little low fat or fat free mayo and ketchup (equal parts) with some sweet pickle relish and make 1000 island.
  • erinbynight
    Options
    There is a really good salad dressing made with silken tofu and miso in the book "Positively Ageless" by Cheryl Forberg (dietician for The Biggest Loser). I made it once, it was actually really really good. I ran out of miso and haven't found any in recent trips to the grocery, so I'll have to go to the health food place to get it. It tasted super creamy and rich, even though it was like 20 kcals a tablespoon.

Even if you don't like miso, try looking up making dressings with the silken tofu or similar...I bet you could even find something that is ranch made with it!
  • chancie72
    chancie72 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Like you Ranch was my "standard" dressing before getting serious about losing weight. I also agree low fat/ fat free ranch well..sucks. I like Ken's lite sweet vidalia onion and wishbones lite sweet and spicy french. Both are lower in fat /calories then ranch, though not as low as say, fat free italian. As someone else mentioned salsa also is a good dressing.
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Fat free plain greek yogurt & dijon mustard & a little stevia. I imagine you could do ff greek yogurt with the powdered ranch seasoning.