Understanding my BF%

Options
Good morning all,

I got an Omron set of scales a couple of months ago which also has the hand and feet attachements to measure BF%.

Now the strange thing is that in the last 2 months my weight has kind of yoyo'd. Although I am lighter than I was 2 months ago which I am not worried about but the BF% does some strange things.

When I started I was 13st 5lbs and BF% of 31.5%.

I measure every Sunday morning fresh out of bed so same time and same place.

My Weight and BF% are as follows weekly -

13st 2lbs 31.50%
13st 2lbs 31.30%
13st 1lb 31.10%
13st 2lbs 30.40%
13st 1lb 30.70%
12st 12lb 31.20%
13st 3lbs 30.30%

As you can see quite consistent readings. I can understand why when the weight goes up the BF% goes down because of the lean muscle as I also work out in the gym twice a week. Weights and cardio.

But why when my weight goes down does my BF% go up? Is it the opposite effect that the weight loss is because I am burning lean muscle instead of fat? And if so how do I prevent this? Am I not getting enough protein maybe? I am 5ft 7ins and male to fill in the other gaps of my body make up.

Thanks All.

Replies

• Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind those scales are not 100% accurate. You can probably take 2 readings, one after the other and get 2 different results. They just give you a general idea of your bf%. I don't think it's anywhere near 100%.
    I would just keep doing what you're doing and try not to worry too much about it. Maybe check your percentages once every other month or so. It will take a while to see real results.

Good luck!
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Simple, ignore whatever it tells you.

My reading on my scales day one was 36.5%

Next day I was 24.5% and I am consistently bouncing around at that level. Ignore the number or it will drive you crazy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i was also told that BF% measuring scales arent very accurate, and can fluctuate a lot depending on how well hydrated you are.

I measure my bf% once a week, and i have found it can fluctuate a lot week to week, which may have something to do with the fridays i have had a few alcoholc beverages compared to those when i havent...!! apparently its best to do it in the middle of the afternoon!
  • newbeetler
    newbeetler Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

Thanks for the reply's.

I agree they are not 100% accurate. I have seen them as low as 29%.

Just wanted a rough Idea to try and see that I am going in the right direction.

My diet has been shocking at times as time is something of a premium to me with twin girls. But I am dealing with that.

The weight loss seems to be going in the right direction even if it is a bit slow (Read still too many take-aways) so I will use it as a rough guide and not get too hung up on it.

Strange thing is I take 3 readings of BF% to see the accuracy and it always come out the same as the first reading. Was going to take an average due to the inaccuracy but so far I have not had to work out an average as it always reads the same.

Cheers for the feed back :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Simple, ignore whatever it tells you.

^ This.
  • newbeetler
    newbeetler Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    ^
    Thank you