Banana?

beachbm
beachbm Posts: 4
edited October 4 in Food and Nutrition
I ate a banana this morning and used all of my sugar for the day? How can that be?

Replies

• AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Bananas have a lot of sugar. That doesn't mean they are bad for you - definitely not the same thing as eating a cookie or a slice of white bread. They also have great benefits - lots of potassium.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Because bananas are high in sugar?
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Fruits are high in sugar...that's just life. I would say those sugars are better than "regular" sugars so you should be ok to go over a little on the days you consume more fruit!
  • Natalie49
    Natalie49 Posts: 210 Member
    Because bananas are high in sugar?

Don't worry about it... at least now you know
  • complete_tease
    complete_tease Posts: 214 Member
    Bananas are filled with natural sugars.
  • smiley01x
    smiley01x Posts: 93 Member
    My nutrionist says that we should eat no more than 25 grams of sugar a day, not including the sugars in fruit and dairy. :)
  • Don't stress about sugar :] Bananas are so good for you!
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    I'm over my sugar nearly every day as I eat a lot of fruit it really doesn't make any difference
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    but its not refined sugar like in cookies. weird huh, cause your supposed to eat several servings of fruits a day. Im going to ask my nutrition teacher about it.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 729 Member
    I agree with Sunshine- Bananas are soo good for you! natural sugar is better than processed, and you do need it! They are also full of potassium!
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Yes, they have a lot of sugar... but natural sugar. It's not like you had a DQ Blizzard. Keep that in mind! Just don't eat like 10 in one day... although come to think of it, I've never heard of anyone getting FAT from eating too many bananas. LMFAO!
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 953 Member
    I don't count the sugar in fruit (that is just me). I have a honey crisp apple just about everyday for lunch and that alone is over my daily limit. Don't worry about it, your banana was good for you.
  • airborne46q
    airborne46q Posts: 5 Member
    True comments from all. Please be careful though, about eating fruits alone. You must also consider what the banana (or any fruit) does to your glycemic index. Eating sugars (your pancreas does not know the difference between the sugars) causes insulin release which triggers fat storage, which in turn leads to more hunger. While it is very true that fruits are good for you, and bananas have 400 or so mg of potassium per, they are also low in protein and fiber (protein and fiber help keep the glycemic index under control). I suggest still eating that banana, but take a fiber supplement or eat some eggs along with it to slow down the digestion of that banana to keep your blood sugar levels under control. The South Beach Diet is a great reference to explain glycemic index or any number of web searches will give you some pointers about keeping your index low. Low Index = less insulin=better blood sugar=weight loss ease.
This discussion has been closed.