A culinary challenge

Options
newbeetler
newbeetler Posts: 194 Member
Ok guys and gals.

Here's a challenge for you as I am running out of ideas.

I work in an office like most people..

In said office we have a microwave. That is all.

I have 1 hour for lunch.

40 minutes of which is taken by walking 2 miles to the local supermarket (Sainsbury's for those in the UK). Burning off about 200 calories each lunchtime.

I usually buy a soup or some microwavable rice, tinned sweetcorn and sliced ham and microwave it back at the office and eat it.

So, given I have a microwave and a whole supermarket I can use. What can I cook for lunch?

I have about 20-25 minutes to prep,cook and eat.

Not impossible but I have run out of ideas.

Replies

• yellsub78
    Options
    Maybe this will help...
    http://eatthis.menshealth.com/content/125-healthiest-supermarket-foods

You will find other related articles on this site, too.

:happy:
    Have a great (and healthy) day.
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Pack lunch?? Enjoy the time to actually eat lunch instead of a fast bite. Use the extra time after to get your calorie burn? When I go for change I like to really break up the common thing I was doing. Just a suggestion. Bad thing with all the quick fix soups, frozen things, recipes with a lot of processed foods is the high sodium count.
  • newbeetler
    Options
    Thanks.

Its those sorts of things I am trying to avoid.

When I go for the soups I try go for the be good to yourself soups with low sodium, calories etc.

The rice is wholegrain rice but cheap nasty ham.

Unfortunatly packed lunch I always seem to run out of time for or forget it in the fridge. Hence deliberatly walking to sainsbury's as that is 2 miles of walking more than I was doing by walking 5 minutes to the local sandwhich bar and having a jacket potato or my old favourite.

Sausage and bacon baguette.

Hence why I am 2 stone over my ideal weight.

Thanks for the link. Will have a read of that.
  • Boo_08
    Boo_08 Posts: 102
    Options
    I bought a Nordic Ware Omelette Maker and I Have an Egg white omelette with Chicken, Spinach and a bit of cheese for Lunch. Its so good, and filling.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    microwave rice as well as microwave veggies with the sauce on them if you happen not to remember lunch....if you run out of time to pack a lunch, I like to pack my lunch the night before. I have started getting really excited about packing my lunch because I do it bento box style. I take a tupperware, and fill half of it with some kind of meat and/or grain and then on the other half put cupcake papers filled with nuts, fruits or veggies for snacks. I sometimes bring a whole extra one for snacks with 1/2 cottage cheese and the rest filled with stuff to add to the cottage cheese....you just gotta get creative :)
  • newbeetler
    Options
    creative is where I fall down.

That and by the time I get home, put my twins to bed, cook dinner, have 30 minutes to myself, put the dishes away and its already 10:30pm

Need to work with my time better but when I only have 4 hours in the evening and 2 of those are taken up by cooking, bed time stories, bath time etc.

Hence why I have to make time to cook the stuff in the office.

Like the idea of the bento box style.

I already have an array of nuts and cereals in my desk draw to munch on during snack times.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    How about a baked potato, good cals but low fat. You coudl boost your protien by adding tuna or cottage cheese. Microwave baked pots are awesome!
  • newbeetler
    Options
    Baked potatos is one that has crossed my mind.

Need to work on the toppings. Never thought to get smaller potatoes. My mind always thinks a nice big Jacket spud. but that takes ages lol.

Topping - Cottage Cheese, Beans, ummmmmm. Chilli?

Lol. See my creativity is non-existent.

P.s. This forum needs a like/thanks button lol.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Baked potatos is one that has crossed my mind.

Need to work on the toppings. Never thought to get smaller potatoes. My mind always thinks a nice big Jacket spud. but that takes ages lol.

Topping - Cottage Cheese, Beans, ummmmmm. Chilli?

Lol. See my creativity is non-existent.

P.s. This forum needs a like/thanks button lol.

other good toppings:

broccoli (or any veggie) and cheese
    chop it up and thow it in tomato soup (or just poor some V8 over it, ghetto but good)
    laughing cow cheese
    various meats in gravey (i'm petty sure you can buy those for the microwave....I don't really use microwaves much so I'm not sure)
    canned chicken

And make sure you stab the potato first so that the air gets out (I assume you already know this but figured i'd remind you so that you don't end up with potato guts all over your microwave....not fun!)
  • newbeetler
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder.

That is just the sort of thing I would do.

Already had a soup explode on me. Lol.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I nuke the small golden pototatoes..it takes ten minutes in my microwave. I spread a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese on them and it's yummy.