Bat wings? How do I get rid of them?

Options
Hello, I am 41, fixing to be 42.
I started my journey at 200 pounds, I am now at 139.
I am having trouble toning what I can the bat wings, you know the extra skin that hangs down off your arms, my biceps and shoulders are great, but I can't define that muscle that jiggles when you brush your teeth or wave.
I would be very grateful for any help on exercises for this.
Thanks so much for your input!
Jenn

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 day shred(aka 30DS) killed mine...Killed my boobs,too. But that is beside the point! lol
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Circuit training and strength training along with a clean(er) diet will definately help!
  • SLWesterfield
    Options
    I would get an exercise band. You can purchase the bungie bands with handles at Target, Shopco, Walmart or any where usually that they sell fitness equipment. You use it at home and you need a door that closes like a closet or something of that nature. There are several exercises that target different parts of your arms. Can't say at this point it is going to take it away as it may take surgery to eliminate the excess skin, but it is a try.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Tricep exercises. If you belong to a club or have a weight bench at home you can do "skull crushers" - lay on floor or bench, grab bar with weights and a close grip (shoulder width or a little narrower) squeeze elbows towards each other as if you are holding a beach ball and slowly lower the bar towards your forehead. You want to keep elbows at 90 degree angle at lowest point and control the bar on the way up.

You can also do tricep pushups - arms shoulder width again with elbows pointing to back (regular pushups have wider stance and elbows to side). Tricep dips are brutal. Sit on sturdy chair or bench and keep butt close to bench lower body and raise up again. Or with dumbells at home or gym do tricep extensions - hold weight above head, elbows tucked in (upper arms will graze your ears) and lower weights towards your back by bending elbows.

You should feel all these burn up the back side of your arm. Good luck!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Tricep extensions, either with your elbow slightly behind your back or overhead
  • jljc_2010
    jljc_2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 day shred(aka 30DS) killed mine...Killed my boobs,too. But that is beside the point! lol

Thanks for the tip!
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    Circuit training and strength training along with a clean(er) diet will definately help!

Great tip! thanks, now to find some circuit training and to become educated in the strength training portion.
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    I would get an exercise band. You can purchase the bungie bands with handles at Target, Shopco, Walmart or any where usually that they sell fitness equipment. You use it at home and you need a door that closes like a closet or something of that nature. There are several exercises that target different parts of your arms. Can't say at this point it is going to take it away as it may take surgery to eliminate the excess skin, but it is a try.

Thanks, I will look into it!
    I will say that I pray surgery won't be necessary, so far it hasn't been in any area!
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    Tricep exercises. If you belong to a club or have a weight bench at home you can do "skull crushers" - lay on floor or bench, grab bar with weights and a close grip (shoulder width or a little narrower) squeeze elbows towards each other as if you are holding a beach ball and slowly lower the bar towards your forehead. You want to keep elbows at 90 degree angle at lowest point and control the bar on the way up.

You can also do tricep pushups - arms shoulder width again with elbows pointing to back (regular pushups have wider stance and elbows to side). Tricep dips are brutal. Sit on sturdy chair or bench and keep butt close to bench lower body and raise up again. Or with dumbells at home or gym do tricep extensions - hold weight above head, elbows tucked in (upper arms will graze your ears) and lower weights towards your back by bending elbows.

Best post yet!
    Thanks a million I will get started on the at home work tonight!
    I appreciate it!
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    Tricep extensions, either with your elbow slightly behind your back or overhead

Thank you!
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I just started level 2 of the 30 day shred. When I'm done I'll let you know how my bat wings are doing.
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    I just started level 2 of the 30 day shred. When I'm done I'll let you know how my bat wings are doing.

Glad I am not the only one!
    Good luck, I look forward to hearing from you!
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    This is what they have been working on also...in the BODY PUMP class i'm taking!

Best post yet!
    Thanks a million I will get started on the at home work tonight!
    I appreciate it!
  • Leisa42
    Leisa42 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Your not alone, I could leap off a building and glide for hours! lol Thanks for posting, I learned alot too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Honest answer. Exercising the muscle WON'T get rid of the skin. That hang is from either excess fat or loose skin. No exercise "spot reduces" or "tightens" any area on the body. You could keep exercising and see if the skin retracts in a year. If it doesn't, then the chances are they you're stuck with it. At that point surgery is your option.
    May not be the answer you want to hear, but being in the business for so long, I feel it's better to be up front than to create expectations that aren't attainable.