What do you do when...

Options
2»

Replies

• LaComadreja14
    LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    They are like cats, they somehow gravitate to the one person in the room who would rather have nothing to do with them.

I have to say, you made me laugh out loud literally and everyone else in my office went dead silent:embarassed: . That is such a true statement.
    I am not a fan of kids (or cats much either, some are okay though) but yet they always head straight to me.... I'm like ommmg gooo away I dont know how to interact with you.. I am sure ANY move I make will get me in trouble with *someone* soooo omg get away.. and yet they just keep coming!
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Stick out your tongue. J/K

why are you kidding about that? kids love to have an adult do something that is fun and friendly especially something they dont expect.

i worked as a teacher and in other forms of child care for years and i stick my tongue out at kids whenever i get the chance.

as others have said, dont assume you know a childs motivation or mind set. if you cant find a way to or dont feel like engaging a child in a positive way then ignore them.

sounds like the OP handled it well.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    They may not even be looking right at you but something on you jewlery , peice of clothing , how your hair is , if your happy or sad kids pick up on so much that the most adults overlook. Just saying as a mom of a 4year old and 6year old I would just let it go as my girls are taught not to talk to strangers so if you smiled and even in the nicest way possible said something to them they would not reply back as they know not to talk to people they don`t know

I agree with the statement above. My daughter loves jewelry and hair and is obsessed with fashion. She is 9 and my son is 7. She pays attention to everyone and everything and comments constantly to people if she likes something they have on or a nice hair style. They have both been taught not to stare and point. However kids are very curious, you have to remember that you have probably seen everything the world has to offer whereas kids have not. Some children have never seen a little person and when they do finally you can't expect them not to be curious. It would be like if you have never seen someone with bright blue hair and then BAM there they are in the store, you may not stare for a long period of time but I bet curiosity would get the best of you.
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options

why are you kidding about that? kids love to have an adult do something that is fun and friendly especially something they dont expect.

i worked as a teacher and in other forms of child care for years and i stick my tongue out at kids whenever i get the chance.

as others have said, dont assume you know a childs motivation or mind set. if you cant find a way to or dont feel like engaging a child in a positive way then ignore them.

sounds like the OP handled it well.

I do it all the time (they stare at the tattoos mostly I think) and I agree we crack up...however I was quite sure I'd piss someone off with my comment if I didn't explain:noway:
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Seriously, how would you know someone is staring at you if you weren't staring at them, maybe they're thinking "Why is she staring at me?"
    i was thinking the same thing
  • erieli04
    erieli04 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Seriously, how would you know someone is staring at you if you weren't staring at them, maybe they're thinking "Why is she staring at me?"
    i was thinking the same thing

You know how there are times when you can just feel someone's eyes on you? I was absolutely not staring at her. I glanced down a few times and she was still staring.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Young kids don't know any better. when I was new here (moved into adapted housing) kids used to sit about outside and watch me move from room to room in chair and when I took my dog out, they ask whats your dog called? why you in a wheelchair etc?.. I've always been nervous going past teenagers as I was bullied myself at school and sometimes I forget that they now see me as adult not another person their age who they make fun of at school. (I'm now 42)

My mobility scooter once got stuck in mud in a field and my heart sank when I saw a group of teenage boys heading in my direction, expecting to end up in a situation where I got made fun of and possibly even physically attacked... but they offered to help and pushed me off the muddy part of the field.

Adults however really should know better.. I was once going up into town when I lived at edge of town... in my small powerchair. (as scooter was too big for the lift in shopping centre) .. there's a sandwich shop with a big window and when your in there you can see people coming up the road for quite a way.. this guy must have seen me coming up and as soon as I reached the window, he jumped out of the doorway and shouted 'spaz' in my face!