eating your workout calories

Options
i just joined a few days ago and i've read a few post that you are suppose to eat all the calories you burn off. why is it so important if your trying to loose weight i always thought that if you just burn what you eat and nothing more you will just maintain your weight so i am confused why i should eat every single calorie that i burn?
someone help

Replies

• jocelynnbug
    jocelynnbug Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i just joined a few days ago and i've read a few post that you are suppose to eat all the calories you burn off. why is it so important if your trying to loose weight i always thought that if you just burn what you eat and nothing more you will just maintain your weight so i am confused why i should eat every single calorie that i burn?
    someone help
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    MFP builds in a 500 calorie deficit to the calories you start with. You eat your exercise calories to maintain the 500 calorie deficit. This allows you to lose fat safely while still taking in required nutrients and retaining the most muscle mass possible and prevent your metabolism from slowing.
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    MFP builds in a 500 calorie deficit to the calories you start with. You eat your exercise calories to maintain the 500 calorie deficit. This allows you to lose fat safely while still taking in required nutrients and retaining the most muscle mass possible and prevent your metabolism from slowing.

Very nicely said! :wink:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I would like to have this come up on one of the first pages!

Mike, this would be nice to have somewhere so people would understand why we eat the exercise calories. :smile:
  • jocelynnbug
    jocelynnbug Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    thank you so much that makes sense
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    thank you so much that makes sense

Glad to help :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,046 Member
    Options

Mike, this would be nice to have somewhere so people would understand why we eat the exercise calories. :smile:
    And very succinctly said! I'm sitcking this thread on the "Links you wand to read again(and again)" thread. That is the shortest, best answer EVER! Thanks, sbs.
  • jsonnett02
    Options
    what's the deficit if you don't eat the burned off calories everyday? I find it hard to get in all of those calories every day......
  • velvetwing
    Options
    Its the end of the day...... Im full from supper...... and I still have calories left.....
    now what? Do you really go and eat something else? I dont want to go to bed with a full tummy.
    I guess I would have to pay closer attention earlier in the day to make up for this?
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Its the end of the day...... Im full from supper...... and I still have calories left.....
    now what? Do you really go and eat something else? I dont want to go to bed with a full tummy.
    I guess I would have to pay closer attention earlier in the day to make up for this?

It takes a week or so to get used to your routine and making sure you have spread your calories out enough to where you don't have a pile to eat at night. Just don't be like me and forget to eat a snack which at my calorie level is like 300-400 calories and have to make up for it later. It'll never happen. Planning is the key!:flowerforyou:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
    My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
  • velvetwing
    Options
    thanks... Im new so definately need to get used to things

It takes a week or so to get used to your routine and making sure you have spread your calories out enough to where you don't have a pile to eat at night. Just don't be like me and forget to eat a snack which at my calorie level is like 300-400 calories and have to make up for it later. It'll never happen. Planning is the key!:flowerforyou:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
    My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options

I second this idea!!