I need to VENT!!!!

Options
I'm so IRRITATED. I just need to vent- sorry in advance.

I'm so irritated with the fact of how hard it is to make (or find) time to work out. It's like i'm having to chose between spending time with my kids, or working out.... how in the heck can I make that decision?? Sure, i could get up an hour and a half earlier every AM (at 3AM) and work out- but that's not in the best interest of ANYONE in my household cause i'd be so exhausted, and realistically, I can't function of 3-4 hours of sleep everyday.

I want to be able to go home from work, put my kids to bed then go to the gym. Sounds simple right? HAH! I wish.

that's all. i know most of us have this same problem-- I'm just getting so irritated with it. and please, don't try to sell me beachbody programs. Yes- I understand they work, and believe me, if I had the extra 120 dollars laying around for it- i'd get it, but I don't. Just sayin.

That's all.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I put my exercise bike in the living room. while the kids are doing homework I am on the bike. On Sunday nights we go on a family hike. I do the shred too...its only 25 minutes and the dvd was less than 10 bucks
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Not sure how old the kids are, but maybe you could incorporate them somehow?
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Try JIllian Michaels... The 30 Day Shred is an AWESOME workout, it works, it's less than 30 minutes a workout, all you need is hand weights, and you can pick it up for less than 10 buck at walmart. It's done wonders for me... :)
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Yes, as moms we have to make that hard decision daily. I have a toddler at home and an 11 year old so I understand what you're saying. I wait until my toddler goes to bed most of the time before I leave to go work out (hubs is home obviously)....but sometimes I need to choose (like tonight) to go to the gym before going home. It eats into the time I spend with my family, BUT it helps me be a happier mom because I work out all my stress at the gym. AND I have more energy to keep up with them and do more things with them! Exercise is also going to help me live longer so in the long run it's better for all of us. That's what motivates me anyway. I hope this helps.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Do u have more times on weekend? You could shoot for two workouts there. Then try for two more in the week, if you can squeeze a little time. Perhaps a walk with the kids? Even just some body weight squats, lunges, jumping jacks, situps, dips on a chair or coffee table. Remember, it is possible to lose weight without working out.

Can u squeeze a worjoutornwalknin during lunch?
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Wow. That should read a workout or a walk during lunch.
  • GeauxTravel
    Options
    I know how you feel, I have no body to stay with my kids after they go to bed so I cant go to the gym. I just started running with them (they are 5 & 3 so in a jogging stroller - got it for $50 on craigslist) I have a friend of mine with older kids 9 & 7, they ride their bikes while she runs. and on non run days we do yoga together at home. I just gave up on the gym, I knew I couldnt make it work (and like you I am not gettin up at 3am to work out)
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    On days when I'm home alone with my son, I either use the rowing machine or do a kettlebell workout while he plays or naps.
    On days when my wife is home to watch him, I will go out for a run.
    You can also try some exercises that include your kids like bicycling with them, or like in my case, towing them in a bike trailer while I bicycle.
    It's hard, but there's usually a way to fit at least a short workout in.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I am not sure of the ages of your children but can you incorporate them into you workout? i.e. Go for a hike and bring the kids along? Go for a long bike ride with them?
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    I'm lucky cuz I work from home so I do a workout dvd while my boys nap. If you kids are young enough you can buy a jogging stroller and take them out for a walk or run. I try to do that with my boys 2-3 nights a week and it seems boring cuz they just sit there but my kids love it. As soon as they see me getting the stroller out they get super excited. They're 2 and 4 so it's pushing an extra 65+ lbs. Great workout
  • p1xelate
    p1xelate Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It isn't a set routine or anything but with my daughter I crank some good dancing music and we push all the furniture to the edge of the room and rock out for 20-30 minutes. I get some good cardio and she LOVES dancing with mom! I try to do this a couple times a week.
  • twinkietigress
    twinkietigress Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It is so tough with little ones! I'm with the other poster that stated to try and incorporate them into your workouts somehow. It may be tough when their really little but as they grow it gets easier. I have drug mine everywhere with me including on a 7 day trek in Nepal. LOL Over the years they've learned to love it too and hopefully will never go through the weigh loss struggle I've been through.

I know its tough, just do the best you can and you'll make it happen :)
    TT
  • johnsonjk
    johnsonjk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Can you do something at work? I find it hard to fit exercise in but I can go at least for a walk at work. It isn't ideal but it is exercise.

Can you do something with your kids? Are they old enough for you to do some family exercise -- rock climbing, skating, catch, soccer practice?

Aim for 10 minutes a day. Don't worry about anything else. Just do something. You can do 10 minutes while someone else looks after the kids or once they hit bed.

Yes, it is difficult to fit it in. You have lots of company here.

Best of luck.
  • Lesley2800
    Options
    I get on the treadmill after my kids go to bed. I know it's really hard to find time.
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor and play with the kids. You will learn that you burn a lot just doing house chores and attending to kids. Just getting dressed today burned me 35 calories :). I didn't log that of course but small numbers do add up to a lot in a day.I don't wear my HRM all day and it doesn't count calories unless you are above 95 BPM but it is good for walking, shopping, cleaning and general exercise.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Craigslist for used or sometimes new in the pachage beachbody products for super cheap... Stick with it, even if it's only 1/2 hour a few times a week...
  • freakingenius
    freakingenius Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How old are your kiddos? I put my 2yo in the stroller or on my back in a baby carrier, tell my 8yo to put on her heeleys and we go for a walk or a hike. I'm saving up for one of those bike trailers to carry my youngest in so we can go bike riding. My girls would rather be outside with me than cooped up in the house. I don't do this every day, but it is a nice change from the gym (and the girls going to the nursery).
  • alibreasy
    alibreasy Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have kids as well and I felt the same way...I cut back on going to the gym. I got 3 times a week and sometimes only 2 (Monday night for Zumba and Thursday night to run the treadmill and Saturday morning while they are sleep for my spin class and extra time in the gym just for me. But most of my working out is at home. My little one works out with me a lot...sometimes we play the wii together Just Dance 2 or the MJ Experience or we do exercise dvds, like Biggest Loser stuff, Hip Hop Abs or Shred...my oldest doesnt really care, she does come down and talk while I'm exercising so in actuality it becomes a family thing because you are still listening spending time, but also taking care of yourself (something that your family will love you for)...a better you is a better them! You can do this! We are women, we always find ways to make things work, its in our DNA. Don't get frustrated you just have to get creative girl! I have lost 76 pounds being creative and my kids love it. I put them first. If my little one needs help with her homework or my oldest needs to talk. I stop what I am doing and do it. If I have to exercise later or skip a night its okay, there is always tomorrow! Best of luck to you. I know you will find a happy medium for your family!
  • jezmarie89
    Options
    i have two kids and workout at home 6 days a week... my day starts at 730 so i workout at 6. and on wknds i find my finds trying to workout with me! lol they are 2 and 4.. id suggest circuit workouts.. i used to do 20 min workouts i found on tv and they worked great stregnth/cardio together burns alot of calories in shorter time..
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    based on your statement that you could wake up an hour and a half early, perhaps you only need some ideas for shorter work-outs that you could possibly fit into other parts of your day. check out my workout blog below for some ideas.